Any word on Westbrook?

Kodos

On 9/1/2017 at 7:51 AM, 5fouls said:

Surprised he was playing special teams.  I realize he wasn't going to start at receiver, but would still think that it would be too risky to have him in kick coverage.

Allen said special teams are a 3rd of the game, why wouldn't you have your best out there. Allen said he will keep doing it. Pointed to Alabama's starting tailback blocking a field goal. My push back is Alabama can do that, they have 3 more tailbacks just like their starter. We don't have 3 Westbrooks standing on the sidelines.

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Allen said special teams are a 3rd of the game, why wouldn't you have your best out there. Allen said he will keep doing it. Pointed to Alabama's starting tailback blocking a field goal. My push back is Alabama can do that, they have 3 more tailbacks just like their starter. We don't have 3 Westbrooks standing on the sidelines.

I'm fine with having a WR do it because we actually had decent depth there.  If we now have Cobbs on special teams I'd be disappointed since we don't have nearly as much depth there now.  Also, if we have someone like Fant who is harder to replace doing it and he got hurt I'd be much more upset about it.

I like the emphasis on special teams.  Unfortunately this was just a fluke injury that could happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.  Unfortunate injury, but I think we'll be alright without him.

20 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm fine with having a WR do it because we actually had decent depth there.  If we now have Cobbs on special teams I'd be disappointed since we don't have nearly as much depth there now.  Also, if we have someone like Fant who is harder to replace doing it and he got hurt I'd be much more upset about it.

I like the emphasis on special teams.  Unfortunately this was just a fluke injury that could happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.  Unfortunate injury, but I think we'll be alright without him.

What puzzles me is that Westbrook really didn't seem to me as a guy you'd want trying to tackle someone. I get the temptation of using WR's as gunners and a stout guy like Cody Latimer makes sense even if risky, but I don't see Westbrook being the type of player to lay wood on a kick returner so the risk/reward simply wasn't there. 

Archived