Experimental Rules to be used in NIT

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-02-27/experimental-rules-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:

• The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
• The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
• The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
• The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.

Will be interesting if we make it...

I actually think this will result in fewer foul shots.  In theory, assuming there are no shooting fouls, it's possible that a team could not get to the line until the 9th foul of the half.

What I don't like about it is that it removes the drama of the one and one.  I can think of several memorable games where the winning team benefited from a missed front end of the one and one.

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Why?

I agree, that was the one I questioned as well.  Seems to penalize a tea for getting offensive rebounds.  Maybe their thought is it takes 10 seconds to bring the ball up, I would be interested to see a stat on when the ball crosses half court in relation to the shot clock on a national average.

14 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I agree, that was the one I questioned as well.  Seems to penalize a tea for getting offensive rebounds.  Maybe their thought is it takes 10 seconds to bring the ball up, I would be interested to see a stat on when the ball crosses half court in relation to the shot clock on a national average.

Not only that but you know this will lead to constant clock issues. You cant add this kind of human element decision making to the guy operating the clock and not expect errors. 

Archived