#6 IU vs #14 Rutgers Pregame Thread

When: Thursday, March 1st on BTN at 9pm ET (approximately)

KenPom: IU 65-59 with a 70% chance of victory

ESPN: 68% chance of IU win

Vegas: IU -6

Rutgers has three guys that score in double figures, with Corey Sanders leading the way at 15 ppg. Deshawn Freeman averages 11 points and 7 rebounds, and Geo Baker averages 10 ppg. Issa Thiam and Baker are their three point threats, averaging 35% from deep. They don't have a lot of height that should bother us. If we can contain Sanders, we should take this one.

Stats

IU

image.png.73b84a3ff99528e67e9134c57afb0e56.png

Rutgers

image.png.b6e5819ccc80b46a2c995eaf9837c905.png

Rutgers has had the worst offense in the B1G, only considering conference games. They can't shoot, and they don't get to the free throw line. When they do get to the free throw line, we are the only team that shoots it at a worse clip. On defense, they are in the top three in turning the other team over. They are a good offensive rebounding team, but they also give up offensive rebounds on the other end. 

If we are careful with the ball and limit the turnovers, we should be okay in this one. Hopefully this can serve as a "get right" game for Devonte, as we would need him to have a chance against Purdue.

I always feel a bit uncomfortable when you play a team that has gotten a game under their belts in a mostly unfamiliar arena and have reason to feel good about themselves...it’s the better of the two matchups in terms of keeping Morgan out of foul trouble, but their guards could give our guards fits if we’re not focused.

hoping Devonte has a homecoming of sorts. He has played well both times we were near the city this year. Maybe he’ll make it three for three and go off in the garden.

Just now, Reacher said:

All I can say is that we better win. Some way, some how. I'll even take an ugly win. It will make for a long off season if our last game was a loss to Rutgers.

A loss to Rutgers as part of a 3-game skid. This is actually a very big game for IU. 

I take no game for granted, particularly in MSG after the other guys have a game under their belts and are playing with nothing to lose. 

I think we win, but I can see this being a difficult game. I'm hoping we see a very focused IU team, with our veteran, senior guards playing to win and advance at the end of their college careers.

11 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Interested to see the fan split tmrw night...I think it could be closer to 50/50 because there's a decent alumni base in NYC

I would guess that IU will represent well, but the game is in Rutgers backyard. The other thing that will work against us are the fans from other BIG teams in attendance. Everyone roots for the underdog.

Archived