Bob Knight in B-town praising Archie Miller

I was able to read it with no problems.   Here's the one quote on CAM:

"Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

Coach Knight saying what most of us already knew.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hoping you guys can get access.  Seems after just one look.... I have used up my access.  My... how I hate the Star.... and why I rarely try to link any of their articles anymore. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Anyone with access care to share? I've used my free articles apparently. Just read updates via twitter. All I can say not a better endorsement available. Extremely complimentary of Archie. Preaches patience. Says we have a good. That's all I need.

Just a heads up if you don't have an account with the Star - if you're using Google Chrome, you can open the links/articles in an "incognito" window and you'll never have to worry about hitting their cap again. In Chrome you right click on the link, and the select "open in incognito window." It works for some other pay sites too, but not all.

Bob Knight likes what he sees in IU basketball coach Archie Miller

Teddy Bailey, Special to IndyStarPublished 10:44 p.m. ET Feb. 28, 2018 | Updated 7:26 a.m. ET March 1, 2018

NCAA Basketball: San Diego State at Wyoming

(Photo: Troy Babbitt-USA TODAY Sports)

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

BLOOMINGTON -- A mere 3 miles from the university he has sworn to never return to, Bob Knight visited once again Wednesday night to laugh with IU fans and reminisce. 

In a similar format to last year’s event at Bloomington North High School, the 77-year-old IU coaching legend was joined by moderator and longtime confidant Bob Hammel on stage at Bloomington South. Wednesday’s event was more intimate than last year’s, with attendance estimated at upward of 1,000. About 10 minutes late, Knight and Hammel were introduced to a standing ovation and spoke for nearly two hours. 

“For me, nothing was better when it comes to basketball than coaching in front of people rooting for Indiana,” Knight said. “That was one of the most interesting and enjoyable facets of my time, the reception those kids got from coaches and the fan base. I’m thankful to you folks for that.”

More: Archie Miller is an unbending coach with unshakeable confidence

More: Archie Miller is 10th-highest paid college hoops coach

More: Archie Miller has 'got a job to do' for IU basketball

From the start, though, it appeared Knight was much more interested in fielding questions from fans and Indiana residents -- rather than recall Big Ten referees and Purdue clashes. Many fans were interested in Knight’s upbringing and his opinions of certain relationships, from former players in Calbert Cheaney and Isiah Thomas to current IU coach Archie Miller. 

Knight commented on Miller’s hiring during last year’s event, but elaborated after seeing Miller coach his first-year Hoosiers to a 16-14 (9-9 Big Ten) record and No. 6 seed in the 2018 Big Ten tournament. Having experienced the same, Knight said he believes Miller will benefit from having so many good players from the state.

MPHGKCWtXyVSz-Yf?format=jpg&name=900x900

Bob Hammel and Bob Knight have been introduced here at Bloomington South. Knight waves to the crowd. #iubb

“Patience is not something a lot of fans have,” Knight said. “But this kid (Miller) is going to do a good job. Why? Because he can coach. Most of the coaches I’ve known, can’t coach. You folks are going to appreciate him, but it ain’t gonna happen in a year.”

Knight focused on his long-documented past -- speaking highly of his parents, facing respected coaches throughout the Big Ten, as well as memories coaching Michael Jordan for the United States in the 1984 Summer Olympics.

But Knight was also asked his thoughts on the recent NCAA basketball allegations brought  by the FBI, many of which have involved historical powerhouses and top talent. At first, Knight appeared to play dumb to the recent allegations that included a wiretap of Arizona head coach Sean Miller offering $100,000 to secure a player. This report has been questioned.

Hammel clarified the recent news to Knight, saying “the rumor’s out, can you imagine this, that they’re paying prospects.”

Join and get
1st Month Free

In true Knight fashion, he played to his audience and earned loud applause for responding with a smile, and “Sheesh, I better stay out of that one.” He did, however, give insight to the current nature of college basketball.

“Back when I was coaching, and it’s kind of changed, but there were great coaches I liked and I could respect,” Knight said. “If you can’t do it within the rules, why do it? That’s the problem right now. Coaches aren’t dealing with the NBA, they’re dealing with the FBI. Which is a little bit different than the NBA. I’m all for the FBI.”

It’s unclear as to whether Knight’s visits to Bloomington have become an annual gathering, or if Wednesday’s reunion was the last. Even if it needs the occasional reminder, Knight’s memory is still intact -- and so is his appreciation for IU fans and their passion for the Hoosiers throughout his 29 years in Bloomington.

“I really enjoy the opportunity to talk to Indiana fans,” Knight said. “Please say thank you to your brothers, sisters, grandparents, family members and friends who watched our teams play. I’ve never appreciated people more than those who saw our groups play.”

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

11 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

Just a heads up if you don't have an account with the Star - if you're using Google Chrome, you can open the links/articles in an "incognito" window and you'll never have to worry about hitting their cap again. In Chrome you right click on the link, and the select "open in incognito window." It works for some other pay sites too, but not all.

Thank you! Worked perfectly!

59 minutes ago, Cottage Grove said:

And that was my first post here. Ha! I was an infrequent poster on the last HSN, and the one before, but have been around since the Scout days. Consistent lurker, I'd say.

I would be remiss in not welcoming you to HSN 3.0.  I do remember you from all of our other iterations.  Good to see, ya !

9 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hoping you guys can get access.  Seems after just one look.... I have used up my access.  My... how I hate the Star.... and why I rarely try to link any of their articles anymore. 

With all due respect, they have to make money too.  Reporters aren't free and are deserving of making a living.  If you ask me, one of the great downfalls of society is local news presence has been washed out.  If you look at the Gymnastics scandal (broken by the IndyStar) as a quick example, it is very apparent that now more than ever, we need strong news organizations both national and local (big and small towns).    With that, it means paying for your news.  It is an important contribution. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Estate

PS: I would prefer this post not to turn into something about fake news.  Twenty-four hour news, whatever your preference, filled with talking heads spewing opinions, not facts, is not news, it is the op-ed section of the newspaper. 

19 minutes ago, ButlerHoosier said:

My one question is The General finally softening up? 

Never. I just think he sees a young good coach who has similar philosophies to him. Defense is preached. I think once we get our talent level up people will realize how good of a job he did with this crew...given the injuries, roster make up.

Archived