Rutgers Postgame Thread

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

Too early to ask the question or something to worry about.

Josh Margolis @MargolisNews
FollowFollow @MargolisNews
More

Juwan Morgan says he has not made a decision on whether he will return for his senior season

I mean with how James B and Thomas B bolted like they did nothing would surprise me. I do think it's a bit early though

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

A few things here

1. Juwan morgans has looked really slow and tired for about the past 3 or 4 games. Maybe he hit a wall with all those minutes and one day turn arounds. Regardless still playing well but not the same Juwan. 

2. Seniors. Horrible. Besides Freddie who actually didn't play to bad considering his talent he has to work with and he actually sparked us a little in the second half.

3. Was not impressed with Archie tonight for really maybe the first time all year. In the first half Rutgers got a little momentum and Archie decided to play through it instead of calling time out which he eventually had to but was about 4 possessions to late. The run and momentum had already brought the lead down to 3 with the crowd fully engaged. You have got to call a timeout earlier, regroup the guys, and come out with a quick play to score and seize the momentum. Bruiser was even off the bench begging Archie to call timeout. That's one is on Archie! I'm a big supporter of him but I won't make excuses for anyone. That was poor coaching and left us dead in the water at halftime. 

4. Rob Johnson should of been guarding sanders from the tip. Sanders is to strong and explosive for Green and shot right over the top of him. Archie switched Rob on to him in the second half but it was to late once again. First time all year I thought losing this game had a lot to do with Archie's decisions and obviously it's not all on him when you go 5/22 from three. Seniors are really poor but Archie didn't help us tonight either like he usually does. 

Excellent post.

So I wouldn't normally mention this but Any One think what Sean M has gone thru might be messing with Archie? 

I just watched the post game press conference and I think the first question Archie got was about Sean. Has to be a distraction. Has to

41 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

We need athletes!  We need shooters!  We need guard play!    hmmmm

We don't need athletes we need players with high basketball IQ who know how to play the game.  I don't want athletes who try to play basketball but want basketball players who are athletic.

The one week earlier Big Ten tourney makes IU’s upcoming week interesting. Do they even have practice for the slight chance they get a post season bid. Hopefully Justin Smith uses the upcoming week in the weight room and starts his off season lifting program. McRoberts and Durham can also start a program for shooting Does Archie say screw it and works on building connections with recruits and saying sorry guys we are done with basketball this year even though we have a tiny chance.

5 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

A few things here

1. Juwan morgans has looked really slow and tired for about the past 3 or 4 games. Maybe he hit a wall with all those minutes and one day turn arounds. Regardless still playing well but not the same Juwan. 

2. Seniors. Horrible. Besides Freddie who actually didn't play to bad considering his talent he has to work with and he actually sparked us a little in the second half.

3. Was not impressed with Archie tonight for really maybe the first time all year. In the first half Rutgers got a little momentum and Archie decided to play through it instead of calling time out which he eventually had to but was about 4 possessions to late. The run and momentum had already brought the lead down to 3 with the crowd fully engaged. You have got to call a timeout earlier, regroup the guys, and come out with a quick play to score and seize the momentum. Bruiser was even off the bench begging Archie to call timeout. That's one is on Archie! I'm a big supporter of him but I won't make excuses for anyone. That was poor coaching and left us dead in the water at halftime. 

4. Rob Johnson should of been guarding sanders from the tip. Sanders is to strong and explosive for Green and shot right over the top of him. Archie switched Rob on to him in the second half but it was to late once again. First time all year I thought losing this game had a lot to do with Archie's decisions and obviously it's not all on him when you go 5/22 from three. Seniors are really poor but Archie didn't help us tonight either like he usually does. 

I agree with 1,2,3

On #4 When we played at Rutgers Green was on Sanders almost the entire night playing 30 minutes to Sanders 33 and he held Sander to 9 points on 1-11 shooting.  Archie went with what worked the first time, and it worked at first in this game as well.  I am not going to complain about officials when we shot as many free throws as we did, but it appears to me that on every drive and step back Sanders pushes off, would Rojo have held his ground a little better maybe, but after Sanders hit a few nobody was going to stop him tonight.  IU's guard play all around except for Al going 10-10 from the line was bad.

40 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

When your up sixteen and the other coach makes an adjustment to stop us, like he did, and you continue to try to do the same thing that got you lead, well that is the definition of dumb. This has been Archie’s MO the whole year, he is a defensive coach, but if you stop his offense or make adjustments on defense against us you will beat us every time. Funny thing is we would be in this same position and arguably better if Crean was still here. Crean sure wasn’t the answer and neither is Archie. Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

Just stop with the Archie stuff.  Today was not a good day but through the year the team did improve and I feel like he is a good coach.  He was not on the top if my list but I feel like he will get us better.

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

The one week earlier Big Ten tourney makes IU’s upcoming week interesting. Do they even have practice for the slight chance they get a post season bid. Hopefully Justin Smith uses the upcoming week in the weight room and starts his off season lifting program. McRoberts and Durham can also start a program for shooting Does Archie say screw it and works on building connections with recruits and saying sorry guys we are done with basketball this year even though we have a tiny chance.

All teams can practice until the end of the NCAA tournament I think and I am sure CAM will have the team practicing.  He has a lot of work to do with the young guys as evidenced tonight.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We don't need athletes we need players with high basketball IQ who know how to play the game.  I don't want athletes who try to play basketball but want basketball players who are athletic.

I'll add to that and say we could really, really use a high-intensity, refuses to lose kind of kid.  We haven't had one of those for a long time, but guys like that can really push the other players.

4 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

All teams can practice until the end of the NCAA tournament I think and I am sure CAM will have the team practicing.  He has a lot of work to do with the young guys as evidenced tonight.

Would he even bother with having his seniors showing and I’m assuming Archie will want to know who is transferring ASAP.(I’m assumomg he wouldn’t want them at any practices)

Just now, Cbp4IU said:

Would he even bother with having his seniors showing and I’m assuming Archie will want to know who is transferring ASAP.(I’m assumomg he wouldn’t want them at any practices)

They would practice just in case of a post season bid.  I doubt we get in the NIT or accepting a bid to one of the other post season tournaments but you have to act like you will get a bid.

49 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

Tony Bennett went 15-16 and 16-15 in his first two seasons at UVA. Sean Miller went 16-15 his first season at Arizona. There are countless other examples. Coaches need their own guys, especially in a situation like this where Archie took over a bad team that lost their 3 best players, and the previous coaches recruiting had fallen off. 

13 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

I agree with 1,2,3

On #4 When we played at Rutgers Green was on Sanders almost the entire night playing 30 minutes to Sanders 33 and he held Sander to 9 points on 1-11 shooting.  Archie went with what worked the first time, and it worked at first in this game as well.  I am not going to complain about officials when we shot as many free throws as we did, but it appears to me that on every drive and step back Sanders pushes off, would Rojo have held his ground a little better maybe, but after Sanders hit a few nobody was going to stop him tonight.  IU's guard play all around except for Al going 10-10 from the line was bad.

Yea I hear ya but Rob has been our best defender all year. He should be guarding the best guard every game. 

Also thought we could of been more creative to get Juwan the ball instead of him just trying to post up on the block every time. How bought start him under the basket get a pin down screen for him to come up Nd get the ball around 15-17 feet and go to work. Just more movement with him weather he is setting a screen and then Coming off one or whatever you wanna do. Him just on the block being stationary was to easy to guard. Archie admitted that in the presser to. 

32 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I wonder how many have done it without an official field goal attempt.

0-0 from the field, 10-10 from the line.

According to Sports Reference this has happened once since the 2010-11 season. Here's a link to the Box Score. https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/2010-12-11-central-arkansas.html Darren Hobbs of Grambling went 10-10 from the line while attempting no fields goals. Crazy!

1 hour ago, Montana Hoosier said:

When your up sixteen and the other coach makes an adjustment to stop us, like he did, and you continue to try to do the same thing that got you lead, well that is the definition of dumb. This has been Archie’s MO the whole year, he is a defensive coach, but if you stop his offense or make adjustments on defense against us you will beat us every time. Funny thing is we would be in this same position and arguably better if Crean was still here. Crean sure wasn’t the answer and neither is Archie. Oh and the can’t wait until Archie gets his guys here crowd will be disappointed because that’s just another excuse.

Whoa...pump the brakes, man...pump the brakes.  Way too early for such a dire prediction after a bad game.

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I'm obviously not him (I don't know if I could live in Montana!), but I think it is fair to question Archie and not want him fired.  This was not a good way for him to go into his first offseason.

I agree with you 100%. My response was predicated on one statement " Crean sure wasn't the answer and neither is Archie."  Seems premature for this kind of talk.  It's fair to criticize CAM, so long as the criticism is fair.

Archived