One of the worst losses in IU history

To lose to this Rutgers team which is one of the worst teams I can remember seeing in the big ten in the last 20 years is a disgrace. I like Archie and hopes he can turn it around but I am starting to wonder if IU basketball will ever get back to what it once was. IU basketball should never lose to a team that bad ever and until we get back to kicking these teams butt we will keep seeing the same things over and over again.

Next year I hope to see a big turnover in this roster because there are very few players on this roster that knows how to play smart basketball. Until we get back to recruiting high basketball IQ players who know how to play real basketball we will never get back to where we want to be. We have no point guard and hopefully Phinessee is the type of guard we need. Hopefully Romeo comes next year to form a good backcourt that we desperately need. We need to go out and get another point guard from the JC or a 5th year transfer. With Morgan and hopefully some of the new players can form a good frontcourt.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:
To lose to this Rutgers team which is one of the worst teams I can remember seeing in the big ten in the last 20 years is a disgrace. I like Archie and hopes he can turn it around but I am starting to wonder if IU basketball will ever get back to what it once was. IU basketball should never lose to a team that bad ever and until we get back to kicking these teams butt we will keep seeing the same things over and over again.

Next year I hope to see a big turnover in this roster because there are very few players on this roster that knows how to play smart basketball. Until we get back to recruiting high basketball IQ players who know how to play real basketball we will never get back to where we want to be. We have no point guard and hopefully Phinessee is the type of guard we need. Hopefully Romeo comes next year to form a good backcourt that we desperately need. We need to go out and get another point guard from the JC or a 5th year transfer. With Morgan and hopefully some of the new players can form a good frontcourt.

Why would RL consider committing to a team that is in the midst of turning over their roster? Get a good nights sleep and perhaps things will look a little different tomorrow. Frustrating loss for sure, but it just wasn't our night. That is how any sport at any level plays out. It is why they play every game. You just never know the outcome. Believe this, not one of us on this forum feels anywhere near as bad as those boys in the candystripes.

Not sure what folks were expecting. This is the same roster that got TC fired minus 3 NBA players. Lol Archies good but not a miracle worker... the fact that we made it to the middle of the pack was an accomplishment. This year was going to be rough regardless who was at the helm. As long as IU throws the resources at basketball the way they do we will be back on top it's just a matter of timing. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Literally two worse losses in IU history this season alone. 

Totally agree with you on paper, but this one feels like it hurt way worse.  If we won tonight and played competitively tomorrow, we'd go into the offseason on a high note.  This loss sends us into the offseason with a very bitter taste.  It will definitely fade during the offseason, but this was a much bigger kick in the sack than the other two.

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Literally two worse losses in IU history this season alone. 

Haha, yeah. Those two actually are two of the worst losses in IU history. Tonight was just a mediocre team losing to a bad one on a neutral court, nothing special.

Those games were early on where our team was still learning the system but tonight losing to a terrible Rutgers tem is way worse to me.  Ad the fact we were up 24-8 with 8 minutes to go in the first half and the only hit 2 shots in the next 18 minutes of the game.

To me worst loss has to be relative to our expectation vs a bad team. Tough way to end season for sure but this wasn't anywhere near one of the worst losses for me. We are an average team in a down conference who lost a tourney game at a neutral site vs a team who couldn't miss for an extended period. Add to it our guys decided to make lazy pass after lazy pass.....recipe is easy. We go home.

This is going to be a long off season. Hopefully we get good recruiting news to help with optimism, however nobody knows if what IU basketball will be going forward.   This team showed us what could happen moving forward in terms of toughness and defense.  I think we can be top tier with a loaded roster of 5* guys, which I prefer.  One year players make it hard to connect to the team.  Aside from incoming players, because you never know with freshman, I think Green is the key to next year.  He has shown flashes, and the extended stretches of amazing play. I'm no expert, but there were times this year when Green was clearly the best player on the floor.  He can create his own shot, shot well from three late  in the year, and made some of the best passes I have seen in years.  If he becomes a steady player, look out.  

8 hours ago, Shooter said:

Haha, yeah. Those two actually are two of the worst losses in IU history. Tonight was just a mediocre team losing to a bad one on a neutral court, nothing special.

But the problem is we annihilated Rutgers on their home court not so long ago. We had no business losing to them on a neutral court either. 

Both teams had plenty of rest. One team showed up with full of vengeance; the other team didn't. 

50 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

But the problem is we annihilated Rutgers on their home court not so long ago. We had no business losing to them on a neutral court either. 

Both teams had plenty of rest. One team showed up with full of vengeance; the other team didn't. 

Consider the circumstances of that game....

Rutgers had just played Purdue down to the wire and lost by 2 and were coming off the dreaded one day of rest between games.

Rutgers was also missing two guys who made significant contributions in last night's game. 

If there was any correlation between that game and the game last night, it's that we might have come in a bit too overconfident, especially with the way the game started.

4 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Roster turnover will be big this off season.  Say bye bye to Crean's guys and hello to Archie's guys.  FWIW- I don't see Green starting next year, it's Robert Phinisee. 

Actually I would be surprised if Green is even back for next year.

14 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Interesting. What makes you think he's gone?

Personally for me, he does not fit what I think Archie wants in a guard.  He does not have any level of consistency in any aspect of his game.  He is a streaky passer, shooter, defender, heck he is even streaky making layups.  

Bad loss. The worst two loses for me in the last 30 years are the two to IPFW. Any loss in the Big Ten is not one of the worst loses in history. Very, very, bad loss, yes. Embarrassing loss, oh yeah. But one of the worst in history? Nah. Getting drilled by IPFW at HOME? By far the worst loss in a long time. But I do think Archie will turn this around and pretty quickly. He's the right type of coach for the program, he just needs the right type of players for his style (and IU's for that matter). They need alpha dogs. They have been missing those for quite a few years. You need someone who's not afraid to take over when the team isn't playing well. They need leadership on the floor. They have some decent younger pieces (Green, Smith, Durham), he just needs to fill in the gaps. They are not a tough enough team. I think they'll get that straightened out. 

25 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Interesting. What makes you think he's gone?

I just don't think he fits into this system and I don't see him wanting to give up his New York street ball style of play.  I have not been a fan of his and it wouldn't make me upset if he left.  I want to get back to when IU players had great basketball IQ who knew how to play the game the right way.

5 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

On a personal level, the Syracuse loss gave me a concussion from banging my head against the wall so this one hurts less.

I hated the Syracuse loss but to me me Syracuse had as much if not more talent than we did that year.

Archived