One of the worst losses in IU history

8 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We had three NBA players on the roster.

Syracuse had some talent there as well: Michael Carter Williams, CJ Fair, Rakeem Christmas, Jerami Grant. Not saying IU had lesser talent, but it's not like Syracuse had a bunch bums out there. 

29 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

We had three NBA players on the roster.

One of them was a freshman that was not drafted.  Go by recruiting rankings that Syracuse team had more highly ranked recruits than we did.  Also Syracuse probably would have been at least a 2 seed if it was not for a bad 2 week stretch in Feb.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Scott no offense, but thread titles like this are the things I mage fun of when I see them on Smellermaker forums.  I would imagine they are cracking up reading titles like this.

Couldn't care less what PU fans think.  I did not say it was the worse loss but to me it is up there because this Rutgers team is one of the worst that I have seen in the big ten in the last 20 years.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Couldn't care less what PU fans think.  I did not say it was the worse loss but to me it is up there because this Rutgers team is one of the worst that I have seen in the big ten in the last 20 years.

You are selling us short.........we fit into that 20 year window.

While admitting that I was so devastated by the loss to Rutgers, that I had to stay away from the board for a full day... for me it was far from the worst loss in IU history. Understanding that I predate many of you on this board.... the worst loss for me.... in IU history was the NCAAT first round loss to Cleveland State.

1986: No. 14 Cleveland State over No. 3 Indiana 83-79 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

While admitting that I was so devastated by the loss to Rutgers, that I had to stay away from the board for a full day... for me it was far from the worst loss in IU history. Understanding that I predate many of you on this board.... the worst loss for me.... in IU history was the NCAAT first round loss to Cleveland State.

That was a bad one. But it lead to good things. :) I honestly see better days ahead. Better roster management and recruiting the state well will be very important. Wash away some of these most recent bad loses. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Hey Mile,

Richmond loss wasn't much better!

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

To me all of those tournament losses like Pepperdine are far worse than Rutgers and I probably let my emotion get the best of me.

The worst loss for me is a little different. It devastated me, not because we lost to an inferior opponent, but because imo, the game was stolen from us.

If you can find an old replay of the game vs UCLA where Steve Downing was fouled out on several phantom calls, then judge for yourself. To this day I firmly believe that the fix was in to ensure Wooden won another championship 

33 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

The worst loss for me is a little different. It devastated me, not because we lost to an inferior opponent, but because imo, the game was stolen from us.

If you can find an old replay of the game vs UCLA where Steve Downing was fouled out on several phantom calls, then judge for yourself. To this day I firmly believe that the fix was in to ensure Wooden won another championship 

I feel the same way about the 1992 FF game against Duke. I believe that was TV Ted at his finest - we had 4 players foul out by the time it was over, and Reynolds had 4 as well. Insane.

44 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Building off that thought, for me the hatred of Kensucky and general dislike of officiating came of age when the Hoosiers lost to !&@(*&%#(* IN 75. Their bigs manhandled Benson with nary a call against them!!!

How about the 89 and 2013 loses to Illinois? But I would have to agree that NCAA tourney losses are the worst and always will be. 92 stung since I was at IU then, AND it was Duke. Although,  man, it sure would be nice to have these types of losses again, versus ones like the other night and IPFW. 

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I remember that like it was yesterday. I guess that means that I am an old fart! lol

To me the loss to Kentucky in 1975 and the loss to Purdue in 1980 in the tournament are worse losses than the one to Rutgers. 

15 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I was in the Army and listening to that game, The play by people said the foul was on Walton and could not believe they gave it to Downing!! I still think that would have been IU's  3rd national championship!! Just imagine  if big George would have stayed.

20 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

How about the 89 and 2013 loses to Illinois? But I would have to agree that NCAA tourney losses are the worst and always will be. 92 stung since I was at IU then, AND it was Duke. Although,  man, it sure would be nice to have these types of losses again, versus ones like the other night and IPFW. 

That '89 loss was huge (and I was at that game - ugh). It dropped us from a 1 seed to a 2, and Illinois rode the #1 seed in the Midwest to the FF. 

48 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

That '89 loss was huge (and I was at that game - ugh). It dropped us from a 1 seed to a 2, and Illinois rode the #1 seed in the Midwest to the FF. 

In 89 I had already bought tickets to the 1st/2nd round of the tournament at the RCA Dome thinking we would get the #1 seed in the Midwest because we won the big ten.

20 hours ago, loviubb said:

I was in the Army and listening to that game, The play by people said the foul was on Walton and could not believe they gave it to Downing!! I still think that would have been IU's  3rd national championship!! Just imagine  if big George would have stayed.

I was 14 and just starting to become an IU fan.  This was probably the first experience I had that exposed me to the idea that big times sports are not always on the up and up.

Downing outplayed Walton that day, and you are right, it should have been our 3rd championship. 

Archived