Transfers you wish never left.

IU will go down as the place that had Larry Bird and he left.  Purdue had Kyle Macy and he left.  Notre Dame had Joe Kleine and he left.  USC had Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and they left.

What are some other "notorious" transfers that went on to better things?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, rico said:

Well, the names I mentioned above were All-Americans at their new locations.  I hated to see Luke leave myself.  But..........

I missed that criteria.  I just remember Recker just killing IU after he left.  I'll think harder.

3 hours ago, rico said:

IUIsaiah go do sn as the place t hat had Larry Bird and he left.  Purdue had Kyle Macy and he left.  Notre Dame had Joe Kleine and he left.  USC had Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble and they left.

What are some other "notorious" transfers that went on to better things?

What about players leaving early? Or Is that a serarate topic?  Isiah Thomas left after soph season.  He would have sr onthe 82-83 team.  Couldve hung one that year  too.

37 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I missed that criteria.  I just remember Recker just killing IU after he left.  I'll think harder.

Might be able to argue that Recker would have been an all-American if he hadn’t been in that bad accident...maybe.

I was still an underclassmen in high school when he left and it was crushing, especially in connection to Collier leaving and the mess with Neil Reed...I loved all of those guys as players...didn’t have any inside info or behind the scenes access, just liked them.

Funderburke was tough too, but I was not as connected yet...just annoyed because I’m from Columbus, Ohio. Actually graduated from one of the High Schools Funderburke went to (Worthington Christian) and he would work out at our gym during the off seasons when played for the Kings (Michael Redd too).

a lot of the rest of the transfers that hurt didn’t turn out to be all Americans but took the wind out of the sails of the program no matter what the reason for the transfer...Sherron Wilkerson, Michael Hermon, Andre Owens, etc...etc...

4 minutes ago, mchenry34 said:

Might be able to argue that Recker would have been an all-American if he hadn’t been in that bad accident...maybe.

I was still an underclassmen in high school when he left and it was crushing, especially in connection to Collier leaving and the mess with Neil Reed...I loved all of those guys as players...didn’t have any inside info or behind the scenes access, just liked them.

Funderburke was tough too, but I was not as connected yet...just annoyed because I’m from Columbus, Ohio. Actually graduated from one of the High Schools Funderburke went to (Worthington Christian) and he would work out at our gym during the off seasons when played for the Kings (Michael Redd too).

a lot of the rest of the transfers that hurt didn’t turn out to be all Americans but took the wind out of the sails of the program no matter what the reason for the transfer...Sherron Wilkerson, Michael Hermon, Andre Owens, etc...etc...

Michael Hermon?  That kid was a player.

34 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Yes. Transferred to Rutgers if I remember correctly. I’m not sure what kind of career he had. I think there was another guy who transferred the same year named Rob (or Rod) Foster who went out west somewhere. 

Well Hodgson ended up scoring nearly 1,300 points at Rutgers.  He was a beast.

Archived