Transfers you wish never left.

18 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I have heard the suit story before. I also heard Bird only had a couple pairs jeans and a few shirts to wear and his roommate had all kinds of clothes and Bird felt intimidated by it. Wouldn't it be an incredible story to interview Bird and get his side of the story. In today's world that story would be plastered all over the internet. 

wasn't some of that in his book Driven? If not maybe I just remember hearing the stories either way I can only imagine the culture shock he experienced.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Don't mention this POS's name.  Its like he who must not be mentioned.  He is a traitor to IU and his girlfriend whom he left after she was left paralyzed and in a wheelchair after a bad car accident.

For years, I was told that the couple had broken up prior to the accident.  Which, by the way happened in Colorado.

This story out of Chicago from a few years ago confirmed what I was being told.... that Kelly and Luke had already broken up before the accident.

16 years after devastating accident, a story of love, courage

But you are correct about the IU part. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I am thinking you are talking about Larry and not Delray.   Larry, quite literally was the "Hick from French Lick".  And I don't mean that in a demeaning way.  When he came to IU he was backward. And yes, Benson abused Larry mentally, because of it.  Knight was of no help.  I know of one story. IU was to have a gathering which required the players to wear a suit and tie.  Larry never owned a suit before coming to IU.  So he went to Knight, seeking help with getting a suit and tie.  Instead of helping Larry, Knight kicked Larry out of his office.  Upon reflection, years later, Knight admitted that was the greatest mistake he ever made as a coach.

All correct. Knight also said he regretted rooming Bird with Steve Risley, the kid from the most well off family at the time.

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Don't mention this POS's name.  Its like he who must not be mentioned.  He is a traitor to IU and his girlfriend whom he left after she was left paralyzed and in a wheelchair after a bad car accident.

LOL...I hear you.  Not saying I appreciated what he did at all. I just hated that a talented kid like him got away. Unfortunate that his character did not match his talent.

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

Thank you mile you are a class person

You are welcome.  And thanks for the kind words.  Hope to see more from you, going forward.  Obvious you know your IU history. Always good to have people like you on board.  And your user name.... trying to figure out where that comes, from.  Just kidding... I love your user name.

As an aside.... the movie used Cutter.  However when I was a student at IU in the late '60's.... townies were referred to as Stonies.  Always though it had something to do with the culture of the time.  Just like, back then I had a different conception as to why Indianapolis was called Naptown.   Silly me. 

14 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I knew and still know some stonies as I am a stone cutter from bedford 20 miles south. I have been a hoosier basketball fan for over 50 years what a great time to be a fan!!

Welcome aboard,nice to have someone else from Bedford on the board 

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Didn’t he also fax his transfer notice to IU from his high school? Not sure if I’m correct, but I seem to remember it that way. Or maybe called RMK from his high school? Either way I don’t believe he did it face to face.

8 hours ago, Hoosrnight said:

Didn’t he also fax his transfer notice to IU from his high school? Not sure if I’m correct, but I seem to remember it that way. Or maybe called RMK from his high school? Either way I don’t believe he did it face to face.

Knight was out of town when it happened I believe.

Archived