2018 coaching vacancies

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lot of national and some local (Indy) folks already saying how good Crean would work at Pitt. Maybe it's just me but A) I think he could do much better job wise and B) If I were him head South.

Choose one of the SEC openings. Pretty fertile recruiting. Sell the weather and no matter what....the pressure won't be as big because of football.

Crean doesn't strike me as the type of person who walks away from a better opportunity to go somewhere with less pressure. I may be wrong, but listening how his former players talk about him in interviews, I think he welcomes the pressure and uses it as a personal motivator. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Saw the news about Stallings on the PU rivals board.  In that thread there are posters that speculate/fear that Painter may go to UL or UK when Cal leaves.  And no, I'm not making that up.

UK?  LMAO

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Lot of national and some local (Indy) folks already saying how good Crean would work at Pitt. Maybe it's just me but A) I think he could do much better job wise and B) If I were him head South.

Choose one of the SEC openings. Pretty fertile recruiting. Sell the weather and no matter what....the pressure won't be as big because of football.

UGA would be a great fit. Lotsa talent in the State that is going elsewhere year in and year out. CTC would feel like he's already been there, and done that!

Now here is an opportunity. I know some of you remember this school.

Out: Ken Burmeister. It was year No. 5 for the Cardinals in D-I. It was their worst season yet, a 7-21 finish with a 2-16 record in the Southland. The administration needs to make the right kind of hire to replace Burmeister in order to get on track in the Southland. It could be detrimental to D-I transition if the next coach can't bring the program to the top half of the conference in the next three seasons. 

7 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

UGA would be a great fit. Lotsa talent in the State that is going elsewhere year in and year out. CTC would feel like he's already been there, and done that!

To be honest I would stay away from the SEC.  Some coaches have already landed there.  Me thinks that CTC would do better at the 'Ville or out west.  JMHO

43 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Serious question.  Why would anyone go to Louisville after all that has gone down?  There is no way the NCAA is done with them.  That's a place that is going to be really hard to win at for at least 5-6 years I'd guess.

Because they can make a ton of money, probably fairly low pressure for the first couple years and it's a really good job.

31 minutes ago, rico said:

To be honest I would stay away from the SEC.  Some coaches have already landed there.  Me thinks that CTC would do better at the 'Ville or out west.  JMHO

Colorado State is about to release their interim coach any day now.  And momentum all along the front range of Colorado, continues to increase for Becky Hammon to become the next Ram head men's basketball coach. I have said it before, and I will say it again... she would be terrific.  Becky is the all time leading scorer in CSU history ... men's or women's BB.   Her life time scoring totals are on equal to Calbert Cheaney.

Becky Hammon coaching CSU men's hoops? It could happen...

42 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Now here is an opportunity. I know some of you remember this school.

Out: Ken Burmeister. It was year No. 5 for the Cardinals in D-I. It was their worst season yet, a 7-21 finish with a 2-16 record in the Southland. The administration needs to make the right kind of hire to replace Burmeister in order to get on track in the Southland. It could be detrimental to D-I transition if the next coach can't bring the program to the top half of the conference in the next three seasons. 

Crean probably cost Burmeister his job by yanking a key early recruit away from him.  Imagine what they might have been with Priller Time patrolling the lane...:coffee:

Sorry, just don't get it.

The last look of a Crean team was of one that didn't value the ball, didn't play much defense and had a poor basketball IQ.

How does any of that translate into being an attractive HC at a major program?

55 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Sorry, just don't get it.

The last look of a Crean team was of one that didn't value the ball, didn't play much defense and had a poor basketball IQ.

How does any of that translate into being an attractive HC at a major program?

Have you not watched a lot of basketball lately because that could describe a lot of teams in today's basketball.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have you not watched a lot of basketball lately because that could describe a lot of teams in today's basketball.

Agree!

I was a Crean critic the last several years and was fully ready for him to go, but with that said under what other scenario are schools like Pitt & Georgia going to be able to roll out a coach that's been to a Final Four, won two outright Power 5 Conference Titles in the last 6 years and has somewhere around 10 guys he's coached in the NBA, including 4-5 lottery picks?

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree!

I was a Crean critic the last several years and was fully ready for him to go, but with that said under what other scenario are schools like Pitt & Georgia going to be able to roll out a coach that's been to a Final Four, won two outright Power 5 Conference Titles in the last 6 years and has somewhere around 10 guys he's coached in the NBA, including 4-5 lottery picks?

You really think that Crean's ego would let him take a job at one of those schools?

17 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

You really think that Crean's ego would let him take a job at one of those schools?

I don't even know what you're talking about? Like Crean's ego is any bigger than any other major conference D1 Coach. Ben Howland went to Mississippi St., you don't think he has a huge ego? The guy wants to coach. Pitt was a very successful program under Jaime Dixon, you don't think Crean believe he can get Pitt to similar levels? 

I know that UGA had an interest in Crean.  However, Crean really has a pallet of name schools that could be interested in him.  And I am glad for him. In the end, things did not turn out for him at IU.  And like many others, as well as Mr. Glass felt that his time at IU had come and gone.  Here is a guy, who unlike others, was willing to take over a dumpster fire. And, a guy who won B1G ten championships at IU. He got us into the NCAAT... taking us to the Sweet 16 on two different times.  Now... published storied coming out that Crean never came close to any illicit activities associated with other coaches.  And many Crean ,  IU hand picked players in the NBA.  Lastly.... despite being fired from IU.... I have yet to hear Crean utter an ill word towards Indiana University.   Personally.... I would welcome him back to Assembly Hall any day, any month of the year... and twice on Sunday. Would love to see him in the stands for a game... much like Keady at PU. 

Crean has never spoken anything to dishonor Indiana University. ( unlike a former IU coach, also fired from IU, who as recently as last year, wished death upon IU adminsitrators).  And I wish Crean,  Godspeed in his future endeavors.

6 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I know that UGA has an interest in Crean.  However, Crean really has a pallet of name schools that could be interested in him.  And I am glad for him. In the end, things did not turn out for him at IU.  And like many others, as well as Mr. Glass felt that his time at IU had come and gone.  Here is a guy, who unlike others, was willing to take over a dumpster fire. And, a guy who won B1G ten championships at IU. He got us into the NCAAT... taking us to the Sweet 16 on two different times.  Now... published storied coming out that Crean never came close to any illicit activities associated with other coaches.  And many Crean ,  IU hand picked players in the NBA.  Lastly.... despite being fired from IU.... I have yet to hear Crean utter an ill word towards Indiana University.   Personally.... I would welcome him back to Assembly Hall any day, any month of the year... and twice on Sunday. Would love to see him in the stands for a game... much like Keady at PU. 

Crean has never spoken anything to dishonor Indiana University. ( unlike a former IU coach, also fired from IU).  And I wish Crean,  Godspeed in his future endeavors.

I think Crean is a good candidate for many high to mid major conference programs that aren't (right now) a perennial contender, but have had a decent history. Pitt or Memphis would be a good example. I think he probably could've pulled that Mizzou job if it weren't for the shadiness of Cuonzo Martin promising to bring on Porter Jr's Dad as a coach. 

That said, I too think Crean can pull a better job than UGA. 

I think Thad Matta is an interesting name for Pitt. Apparently there was some interest with Ole MIss, so sounds like his health is improved. Pitt is within hours of Butler, OSU and Xavier, so definitely within his core recruiting footprint. He could be an interesting hire for them. Too bad Pitt didn't stay in the Big East though, moving to the ACC seems to have really hurt them from a pure basketball competitiveness standpoint. 

Archived