2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys know that I am not a Crean fan.

Saying that, I think that if he is going to get back into coaching, the UCONN job would be his best gig. In that conference, he'd be competitive in short order. Much longer process in either the ACC or SEC

2 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Saying that, I think that if he is going to get back into coaching, the UCONN job would be his best gig. In that conference, he'd be competitive in short order. Much longer process in either the ACC or SEC

Makes sense.  Easier conference.

6 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Crean at UConn could work. He needs to be where he can have competitive advantage over other teams in the league. Pitt is not an easy job for any coach at this point. They should hire a star coach who can attract better players to compete in the ACC OR a young, up and coming coach who can really coach (and give him 4 years to prove). Not sure what their budget is for the new coach, but if they can't spend over 4M, they should go for a young coach. 

After Matta said no to UGA, they shifted focus to Crean, as expected. I think UGA can be a real good place for Crean..maybe a better place than UConn since UGA can pay him better and he doesn't have to deal with high expectations year in and year out. SEC is generally a weaker P5 conference in basketball. Also, state of GA produces good amount of basketball talents every year. 

I'm a Crean fan. More of the person. I can't forgive his roster management and recruiting strategies but I'll always want him to do well. Pitt isn't the place for him. I don't know if it's a college team in a pro town or what but I'd seek out a Georgia or real college town vs city job if I were him. The rah rah stuff plays much better in real college towns.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It's official. Crean and Georgia meeting today. My guess is he'll announce on set while doing ESPN this weekend. 

Thanks for the "intel"   From the attached article.   Dick Vitale : "There's no doubt in my mind, Tom Crean will be the next coach at Georgia."

Georgia reaches out to Tom Crean about basketball coaching job

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Well, considering there was no way in hell Georgia was going to get #1 or #2...

It could've been a different story if they were ready to pay 4-5 M per season, but Kirby Smart is paid 3.75M according to Google, so there's no way UGA pays more than that. I think what UGA offered to Matta (3.2M/year) was the max. Would be interesting if they would offer the same to Crean.

Just now, rico said:

Well there is a reason they reached out to them.  Home run hires???????

Low risk/low cost.  A phone call to gauge interest doesn't take long.  They probably knew it was a long shot but thought they might get lucky.  There's a reason IU talked to Billy Donovan and Brad Bennett (even though IU had fired Bennett's sister).

1 hour ago, rico said:

Fake news by Parrish.  He and I went around and around years ago.  And I am pleased to call him out once again.  As I informed Hoosier Sports Nation weeks ago... Crean has always been high on the list.  Coach Crean did not commit back then, wanting to see what else might possibly come his way.  No fault of his own, that what came down the pike did not interest him.... so he re-engaged with UGA.

I have sources too  !

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Fake news by Parrish.  He and I went around and around years ago.  And I am pleased to call him out once again.  As I informed Hoosier Sports Nation weeks ago... Crean has always been high on the list.  Coach Crean did not commit back then, wanting to see what else might possibly come his way.  No fault of his own, that what came down the pike did not interest him.... so he re-engaged with UGA.

I have sources too  !

Ummm.....  Any updates on Romeo???? Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

UGA recently had a top 5* guard and another 4* decommit because of the coaching change. They have some nice pieces returning next year, and CTC could very well turn the decommits around. The only problem I see with CTC at UGA is football is king. I'm not sure Kirby Smart would enjoy seeing Jim Harbaugh hanging around Athens.

22 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Ummm.....  Any updates on Romeo???? Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

Different subject.  Different sources.  I will say this.  In my ten years as a moderator, both on Hoosier Nation. And Hoosier Sports Nation.... I have been blessed with many, many people who have trusted me enough to share information with me over that span of years.  It truly is a blessing, I never thought would happen, when John Decker first asked me to be a moderator on his Hoosier Nation on the Scout platform.

Archived