2018 coaching vacancies

2 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

UGA recently had a top 5* guard and another 4* decommit because of the coaching change. They have some nice pieces returning next year, and CTC could very well turn the decommits around. The only problem I see with CTC at UGA is football is king. I'm not sure Kirby Smart would enjoy seeing Jim Harbaugh hanging around Athens.

Personally, I view the fact that football is king at UGA, is the very reason I feel it is a great landing spot for Tom Crean.  Unlike.... at IU.... where all the heat is on the BB HC.... there he can fly under the flack.  

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

UGA recently had a top 5* guard and another 4* decommit because of the coaching change. They have some nice pieces returning next year, and CTC could very well turn the decommits around. The only problem I see with CTC at UGA is football is king. I'm not sure Kirby Smart would enjoy seeing Jim Harbaugh hanging around Athens.

Did not know about the decommits.  But even without they look to be a solid squad.  And I don't think UGA cares who CTC's b-i-l is.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Did not know about the decommits.  But even without they look to be a solid squad.  And I don't think UGA cares who CTC's b-i-l is.

There is some bad blood there. CJH started the satellite recruiting camps for UM right in UGA's backyard. I think the NCAA came in and decided that was a no no. This past year CKS flipped UM's #1 recruit. I made the comment with tongue in cheek, and although football is king,CKS won't have a say in the hire. They met with CTC today and it looks like it is going to happen. If CTC can win over the AAU coaches in and around Atlanta he will have really good talent to draw from. With that said, he didn't seem to succeed within the Hoosier state. Perhaps he learned a lesson. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Personally, I view the fact that football is king at UGA, is the very reason I feel it is a great landing spot for Tom Crean.  Unlike.... at IU.... where all the heat is on the BB HC.... there he can fly under the flack.  

I completely agree with you.  But here is the "if" and it is a big one.  Schools like Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, and even Ohio St. have shown in the past that they will make a change no matter what the degree of success is.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

As do I! As a HOOSIER living in Alabama and rooting for the Tide Basketball team, I’m now a Georgia fan! I may even buy some gear!

My wife is from Baton Rouge and went to LSU. I’m not telling her, but I have a new SEC school to serve as my preferred team in that league. 

7 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

This hire will make UGA a favorite for Watford

I doubt it.  Crean hadn't made any overtures to Watford while at IU.  I remember our forum being absolutely mystified that Crean hadn't gone after a legacy that talented and frankly, Trendon sounded puzzled as well.

I will say this though...I am happy for FCTC and I wish him well.  It sounds like that, with a year off, he's had plenty of time to reflect and he will likely be a better coach at his next stop.  He's already a good man. I hope his coaching skills rise to the level of his character and he can soften some of his personality quirks.  If he does that, look out, SEC.  We know he is a hard worker.

Congrats to Coach Crean. Personally, think this is a great fit for him.

Again, I call BS on Parrish who claimed Coach Crean was 4th in line.  Total BS...as Coach Crean has been the number one choice at UGA for weeks. Only reason Matta was even considered was because Tom wanted to do more shopping around.

Once again.  I have sources.   LOL

Archived