2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big congrats to Coach Crean.  First order of business is to regularly beat UK.  

I think this is a good fit for Tom.  Fertile recruiting ground with football the focus of the fan base.  Expect to see some NBA players come out of Georgia over the next few years.

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Happy for the guy.  He will do well at Georgia.  Love the fact that Cal has to play him twice a year — Nowhere to run now.  But I gotta say, it will be tough if he’s in the tournament next year and IU isn’t...

If that were to happen, I may have to take a hiatus from this board......   O.o

An interesting viewpoint from a non-IU guy. But I think Crean can do well at UGA. Pressure and stress really got to him in his last couple of years at IU. Coaching at UGA would feel like walk-in-the-park comparing to coaching at IU. It's just that the ceiling is low. Hopefully he'd do good enough job to satisfy UGA administration and fanbase. 

image.png.9c20d25b05211899e95286b0cd94c063.png

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Seems like a great fit for Crean. I'm happy for him and hope he does well there. 

You can mark it down that if IU and UGA both make the tourney next year that they'll be set up for an early matchup. 

Oh...I can smell 'vengeance'. It will be an electric game. At a minimum, we will see the extra amped-up Crean, and it's guaranteed!

29 minutes ago, rico said:

The situation at Pitt is confusing to me.  I didn’t really know their history at all until I was thinking about this the other day.  I knew the program had some type of prestige, and that Pitt views itself as a basketball school.  I figured they had won a championship or at least made a couple Final Fours way back in the day, and that was why the program was still held in somewhat high regard. Then I looked it up and... their biggest claim to fame is making the finals of the Big East tournament 7 out of 8 years from 2001 to 2008?  One Final Four in 1941, Elite 8 in 1974 and 2009, and a couple more Sweet 16s in the 2000s.  They really have no history to speak of, at least in the tourney.  Why is Pitt viewed as a good program?

50 minutes ago, rico said:

This situation is not much different from a death penalty. No players, no good coach, and no post seasons for the next couple of years. Just terrible.

It's time for Sean Miller to go back to his alma mater and become a hero. 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

One Final Four in 1941, Elite 8 in 1974 and 2009, and a couple more Sweet 16s in the 2000s.  They really have no history to speak of, at least in the tourney.  Why is Pitt viewed as a good program?

I'm surprised. Looks like they're on UGA level.  UGA has 1 FF, 1 EE, 2 SS. 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The situation at Pitt is confusing to me.  I didn’t really know their history at all until I was thinking about this the other day.  I knew the program had some type of prestige, and that Pitt views itself as a basketball school.  I figured they had won a championship or at least made a couple Final Fours way back in the day, and that was why the program was still held in somewhat high regard. Then I looked it up and... their biggest claim to fame is making the finals of the Big East tournament 7 out of 8 years from 2001 to 2008?  One Final Four in 1941, Elite 8 in 1974 and 2009, and a couple more Sweet 16s in the 2000s.  They really have no history to speak of, at least in the tourney.  Why is Pitt viewed as a good program?

There was a time when the original Big East was something else.  That IMO, is where they received their notoriety.  

Archived