2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, addictedtoIU said:

Crean is the ultimate PR/hype guy. When things are going well, he can be a rock star in campus because of his personality. 

The fans showing up to the games stuff is what really got me in that video!  It brings back bad memories of when he used to blame the fans for not bringing "the energy" to the game following a loss on the postgame show with Fisch!  Don't miss that BS at all!

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

So, what kind of retriever is UMBC?

Golden

Lab

Chesapeake Bay

Curly coated

Conundrum to me. 

Anybody out there to help me figure this out ?

I lived 5 minutes from that campus for 11 years, up until Sept of last year, and I can’t answer any of those questions. 

10 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

So, what kind of retriever is UMBC?

Golden

Lab

Chesapeake Bay

Curly coated

Conundrum to me. 

Anybody out there to help me figure this out ?

What does this have to do with coaching vacancies?  Chesapeake Bay.

20 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I heard the job will be handed to Penny Hardaway.

Penny currently is a high school coach and has the #1 Junior in the country on his high school team, pretty sure that is the reason they are handing him the job, that and this whole former payers make great coaches infatuation going on , Mullin, Ewing, now Penny, and I am sure there are others.

35 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Penny currently is a high school coach and has the #1 Junior in the country on his high school team, pretty sure that is the reason they are handing him the job, that and this whole former payers make great coaches infatuation going on , Mullin, Ewing, now Penny, and I am sure there are others.

The adage in baseball is that great players don't make good managers.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

The adage in baseball is that great players don't make good managers.  

100% agree it.  I am sure they exist, but I can not think of any examples of hall of fame players becoming hall of fame coaches in any sport.  Living in Cincinnati I hear all the local fans wanting Barry Larkin to be the next manager and I keep telling my friends to be careful what you wish for.  When an Icon has to be fired it can be very UGLY.

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

100% agree it.  I am sure they exist, but I can not think of any examples of hall of fame players becoming hall of fame coaches in any sport.  Living in Cincinnati I hear all the local fans wanting Barry Larkin to be the next manager and I keep telling my friends to be careful what you wish for.  When an Icon has to be fired it can be very UGLY.

While shortlived as a coach, Larry Bird had a lot of success in his three years with the Pacers. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While shortlived as a coach, Larry Bird had a lot of success in his three years with the Pacers. 

Agree, but I think the principal is often right...Mullins, Ewing, Alford...

...<psssst> Georgetown, Ewing was a terrible hire...don't make a bad decision worse with a pricey extension/buyout.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree, but I think the principal is often right...Mullins, Ewing, Alford...

...<psssst> Georgetown, Ewing was a terrible hire...don't make a bad decision worse with a pricey extension/buyout.

Absolutely, was just trying to come up with any example. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, was just trying to come up with any example. 

Wooden would be another example for sure. I'm still amazed at how often athletic directors fall for the great player, great coach fallacy.  I do believe, however, that the best coaches usually at least play in college...they're just not usually the best players.  I think that's definitely a weakness for Crean...he really can't relate to the players like a former player can.

Another fallacy that often doesn't work out is father is a great coach so the son will be also. (Pitino, Knight, Drew, Alford...)

Archived