2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Dr. Jones said:

Larry Brown, Bobby Leonard - basketball

Steve Spurrier, Jim Haurbaugh - Football 

I can't speak to whether the others were top players of their era or not, but I'd put Harbaugh in the pretty good but definitely not great category of players.

1 hour ago, bstall76 said:

Penny currently is a high school coach and has the #1 Junior in the country on his high school team, pretty sure that is the reason they are handing him the job, that and this whole former payers make great coaches infatuation going on , Mullin, Ewing, now Penny, and I am sure there are others.

That would not be the first time Memphis would be involved in some very questionable activities.  It's like when the whole basketball world knew that Derrick Rose , after failing three SAT's had someone sit in, for him in a city he didn't even live in. And Memphis turned a blind eye to that.

Derrick Rose Cheated,

1 hour ago, rico said:

The adage in baseball is that great players don't make good managers.  

Backup quarterbacks and bench players tend to do very well as coaches. The truly great players have a certain something that cannot be taught, they don’t tend to be able to teach the fundamentals that just came naturally to them. Guys who have to work hard to even get to sit the bench ... they tend to understand how to teach the game much better.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Is Chris Mack's situation bad enough to leave for that dumpster fire?

$ cures all but not sure. Wife is from there I believe. Homecoming might trump bad situation. I mean if handled properly they could be and running by 2021 I would think. Hire a guy now and basically fill the next 2 years rosters with current players, grad transfers and juco...but recruit the heck out of the 2020/2021 classes with instant playing time, fresh start,etc....and it could work. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

$ cures all but not sure. Wife is from there I believe. Homecoming might trump bad situation. I mean if handled properly they could be and running by 2021 I would think. Hire a guy now and basically fill the next 2 years rosters with current players, grad transfers and juco...but recruit the heck out of the 2020/2021 classes with instant playing time, fresh start,etc....and it could work. 

If I were a decision maker at UL, I would keep the young coach for a few years to weather the storm (i.e. NCAA penalties) and to save money (there could be some legal battles with NCAA and/or Pitino). UL doesn't need to pay big bucks to Padgett now; if he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, UL can reward him later. If not, they can attract a better coach later. UL has resources to make things happen at the right moment, and I think UL is one of the top 10 destination jobs, if not top 5. 

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

If I were a decision maker at UL, I would keep the young coach for a few years to weather the storm (i.e. NCAA penalties) and to save money (there could be some legal battles with NCAA and/or Pitino). UL doesn't need to pay big bucks to Padgett now; if he turns out to be a diamond in the rough, UL can reward him later. If not, they can attract a better coach later. UL has resources to make things happen at the right moment, and I think UL is one of the top 10 destination jobs, if not top 5. 

Seems to be some wisdom in that approach.  Almost regardless of who they hire, it will be tough for 2-3 years. I'm sure Padgett would jump at the chance to prove himself.

2 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Only problem there is as we all know the lifeblood of success is recruiting. If you delay the hire just to save $ and weather the storm...the new coach (Mack maybe) won't be able to start that process until that few years is over. Ultimately causing a return to elite even longer possibly a few years plus at least another 2 or so. In that scenario (because I don't think Padgett is getting anyone to go there) Ville is looking at 2023 or 2024 before returning. They won't accept that. 

Get the guy now. Aim towards 2020/21 recruiting classes is their best bet in my opinion. 

I dunno...it's still Louisville, it's still the ACC and Padgett's players seem to like him by all accounts.  I think any coach is going to struggle to recruit there right now due to pending sanctions, which is only partially offset by the lure of playing in a power 5 conference.

Mack may say "not now, but you get this stuff behind you, call me." 

If I'm Louisville and it takes a 2-3 year delay to get a top-drawer coach, I don't make a mediocre hire right now.  I just let Padgett see what he can do to build his resume and/or earn the job.

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Looks like the emphasis remains on playing fast!!!

Some things will never change. I watched his press conference and he said his bigs will shoot 3s and his guards will post up. He's a firm believer of his offense. The way I see it is his teams will have to play pretty good defense in order for his offense to work. Always wishing him the best of luck except when we play UGA.

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Is Chris Mack's situation bad enough to leave for that dumpster fire?

Not at all.  I imagine "X" would throw bundles of cash at him if they suspected he would leave but then again........Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and S. Miller all left.  

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Not at all.  I imagine "X" would throw bundles of cash at him if they suspected he would leave but then again........Gillen, Prosser, Matta, and S. Miller all left.  

There's a little bit of difference between Mack and all the coaches you mentioned. Mack is a Xavier alum and a former player. I certainly wouldn't say he's a Xavier lifer, but it'll take more to get him out of there. 

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

There's a little bit of difference between Mack and all the coaches you mentioned. Mack is a Xavier alum and a former player. I certainly wouldn't say he's a Xavier lifer, but it'll take more to get him out of there. 

There is also another difference.........X is in the Big East now.

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

That's actually a tough decision. UConn certainly still carries a lot of weight in the Northeast, but at the same time they've lost some luster not being in a major conference. Pitt is an extremely tough job now that they're in the ACC, but with all that said does RI fall a bit since much of their recent success was from a really strong group of seniors this year. I wonder if maybe sticking with URI for another year or two might make the most sense. 

I'd be really nervous about taking over UConn or Pitt right now. 

4 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Big East is not the same Big East any more, but both Xavier and Villanova got #1 seeds this time. If they do well in their league, they can still be highly seeded. 

6 teams in the Dance with two #1 seeds isn't too shabby. May not be the Big East of old, but that sure was better than two of the Power 5 conferences this year.

6 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

He also grew up in Cincinnati.

Archived