2018 coaching vacancies

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Andy Kennedy did a great job considering Ole Miss isn’t a very good job to begin with.

I’d be shocked if Tubby Smith is back in Memphis but stranger things have happened.

Mark Fox is a good coach imo but I don’t see him being at Georgia next season.

Tom Crean is going to have some solid options.  I could see him doing well at Georgia, Memphis or Charlotte.

I’d like to see if UConn pulls the trigger and if they do, who would get that job.

41 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

The positive thing about Crean getting another coaching job is you won't have to worry about him recruiting the state of Indiana.

Yeah. Crean didn't even do a good job of recruiting Indiana, when he coached IU.  At least, I didn't think he did. Just look at the number of kids from Indiana he left  for Archie .

3 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Thought Andy Kennedy did a great job considering Ole Miss isn’t a very good job to begin with.

I’d be shocked if Tubby Smith is back in Memphis but stranger things have happened.

Tom Crean is going to have some solid options.  I could see him doing well at Georgia, Memphis or Charlotte.

I’d like to see if UConn pulls the trigger and if they do, who would get that job.

I heard on the radio today that if UConn fires Kevin Ollie they will owe him 12 million.  That's pretty steep.

3 hours ago, ThePaulieWalnuts said:

Penny Hardaway is being mentioned as a possibility at Memphis, he is currently a high school coach and just happens to have the #1 rated junior in the country on his high school team.

1 minute ago, bstall76 said:

Penny Hardaway is being mentioned as a possibility at Memphis, he is currently a high school coach and just happens to have the #1 rated junior in the country on his high school team.

Yeah I just seen that.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/memphis-officials-seriously-considering-penny-hardaway-to-replace-tubby-smith/

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I heard on the radio today that if UConn fires Kevin Ollie they will owe him 12 million.  That's pretty steep.

UConn job has lost a lot of luster since moving to the AAC. Might be the program most negatively impacted by conference realignment. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

UConn job has lost a lot of luster since moving to the AAC. Might be the program most negatively impacted by conference realignment. 

Amen........that it is.  But  don't tell UC fans that!!!!!

13 hours ago, jefftheref said:

The positive thing about Crean getting another coaching job is you won't have to worry about him recruiting the state of Indiana.

If Crean is the competitor I think he is. Mix that in with how things went down with AD....he will most certainly spend some time here. Book it. 

Speaking of Crean's recruiting and the Georgia job....

Do you remember that awful spring where we were scrambling to find a big?  One of the guys we got on early was Yante Maten from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.  He was a late bloomer but played really well his senior year of high school.  HSN was on him and he was going to be the best option we could get.  We started to get nervous, as Izzo got interested too.  In the end, we couldn't get him.  But, instead of Michigan State, he went with Georgia, who I believe had recruited him the longest.

Well, he turned out to be a heck of a player.  He averaged 19 and 9.  

If my memory is correct, that is the year we ended up with Priller and April.  Crean's logic in projecting Maten was really good.  

Lot of national and some local (Indy) folks already saying how good Crean would work at Pitt. Maybe it's just me but A) I think he could do much better job wise and B) If I were him head South.

Choose one of the SEC openings. Pretty fertile recruiting. Sell the weather and no matter what....the pressure won't be as big because of football.

Archived