2018 coaching vacancies

On 3/20/2018 at 9:26 AM, addictedtoIU said:

There's a little bit of difference between Mack and all the coaches you mentioned. Mack is a Xavier alum and a former player. I certainly wouldn't say he's a Xavier lifer, but it'll take more to get him out of there. 

Just a reminder. Mack's wife is a Louisville native and local sports star. He still has family in the area too. Just food for thought. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

Probably a good idea for him to get out of Arizona. Pitt needs to do something dramatic to get out of their mess so they can take a chance. Win-win  I smell a future Pitt matchup in the ACC/B1G challenge if this happens. 

40 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

My old friend, Evan Daniels is saying that ... in his opinion.... Sean is not leaving for Pitt. 

I did not ask him,  but I have to wonder why Sean would be talking to Pitt in the first place, if he were not interested in moving there . 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My old friend, Evan Daniels is saying that ... in his opinion.... Sean is not leaving for Pitt. 

I did not ask him,  but I have to wonder why Sean would be talking to Pitt in the first place, if he were not interested in moving there . 

Now he’s said he’s not interested in the job. Maybe he’s talking to them in case Arizona decides to move on from him?

2 minutes ago, Hoosrnight said:

Now he’s said he’s not interested in the job. Maybe he’s talking to them in case Arizona decides to move on from him?

Could be.  At this point, I don't know.  Other than  Brian Snow is also saying that Sean will not be taking the job at Pitt. 

2 hours ago, IUaic said:

For Mack to Louisville?

Kinda funny how people forget that Xavier was on the list of teams named in the FBI probe. On Dawkins records, Edmond Sumner was given 7k. Why you would fire a coach caught up in the FBI probe and replace him with another is beyond me. 

6 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Kinda funny how people forget that Xavier was on the list of teams named in the FBI probe. On Dawkins records, Edmond Sumner was given 7k. Why you would fire a coach caught up in the FBI probe and replace him with another is beyond me. 

On the Dawkins records he met with Sumner in LA - on the same day Sumner was playing for Xavier against Villanova in Cincinnati.

The Dawkins stuff has some credibility issues, so I'm not sure how many schools will make decisions based on them.

More of a general question. We think we got one of the best up and coming younger coaches in Archie. Time will tell if we are right. Who are the next 4-5 up and coming coaches we should be keeping our eyes on just as fans?

I think it's safe to say that within next 5 years (if not sooner) there will be openings at Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan St....powerhouse programs and jobs. Do those programs promote from within or go outside?

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

UConn is the new Memphis.  Used to have pull but not anymore.  Terrible conference.  Sure they can win a bunch of games and get high seeds and flail in the tourney, 9 times out of 10.  

Ummm... have you been in a coma for the past two decades?

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

More of a general question. We think we got one of the best up and coming younger coaches in Archie. Time will tell if we are right. Who are the next 4-5 up and coming coaches we should be keeping our eyes on just as fans?

I think it's safe to say that within next 5 years (if not sooner) there will be openings at Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan St....powerhouse programs and jobs. Do those programs promote from within or go outside?

This is a question I've been raising for some time.  Right now I'm not sure there really are many (if any) likely home run hires out there in the college ranks (from a fans perspective that is).  Of course there are young coaches that will end up being elite coaches (somebody has to assume the mantle) but who are they and where will they come from?  The choice of Archie Miller could turn out to be a stroke of genius but that story is yet to be written.  I really foresee a changing of the guard over the next decade, if for no other reason than the rarity that a program doesn't experience a down turn after the exit of a HOF caliber head coach.

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Of course it's going to depend on available candidates, but when nuts come to bolts I think they don't promote from within. Even Duke. Those programs aren't going to want to take a temporary dip in mediocrity...they'll want a proven head coach. And I hate to say it but we are a prime example of why you get the best candidate possible while you are on top of your game....hiring Davis set off a series of dominos that's going to take us almost 20 years to recover from (hopefully not more). I understand that the circumstances are different and maybe those programs have candidates within their program, but why take the gamble? All of those schools (sans MSU) will most likely be able to get the best candidate available. 

That said, I think the most likely to promote with-in will be MSU because Izzo will try to demand it (a Bo Ryan situation if you will). 

Archived