2018 coaching vacancies

28 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

UConn is the new Memphis.  Used to have pull but not anymore.  Terrible conference.  Sure they can win a bunch of games and get high seeds and flail in the tourney, 9 times out of 10.  

I don't think it's bad to be in UConn's position. UConn has a great pedigree and can dominate the conference year in and year out. Look at what Gonzaga and Wichita State have been doing. They've dominated in weaker conferences and become usual participants in March and in one of those times, they had deep runs and proved their worth. Maybe they don't get the same amount of media and TV coverages, which could hurt their recruiting a bit, but as long as they got someone who can coach, they're not going away. 

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I don't think it's bad to be in UConn's position. UConn has a great pedigree and can dominate the conference year in and year out. Look at what Gonzaga and Wichita State have been doing. They've dominated in weaker conferences and become usual participants in March and in one of those times, they had deep runs and proved their worth. Maybe they don't get the same amount of media and TV coverages, which could hurt their recruiting a bit, but as long as they got someone who can coach, they're not going away. 

You're right.  They have fallen way back from fringe top 10 program to probably around Purdue's level.  They will win with a good coach and fall flat with a bad one.  Hurley is good, maybe more a gamble on his part that on UConn.  But as someone pointed out he was losing a lot of seniors and would take a step back at ri.  He had to move or ride it out.  

Would love to see a preseason tourney of Memphis, UConn, Gonzaga, and Wichita State.  

52 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Ummm... have you been in a coma for the past two decades?

What are talking about?  They were pushing elite status and in a real conference.  Lost their coach and are in a garbage conference and are now lucky to be a top 20-25 program going forward.  What did I miss?

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

You're right.  They have fallen way back from fringe top 10 program to probably around Purdue's level.  They will win with a good coach and fall flat with a bad one.  Hurley is good, maybe more a gamble on his part that on UConn.  But as someone pointed out he was losing a lot of seniors and would take a step back at ri.  He had to move or ride it out.  

Would love to see a president tourney of Memphis, UConn, Gonzaga, and Wichita State.  

Replacing old-school legendary coaches will always be difficult. Oftentimes, we see good mid-major coaches don't pan out at high major D-1 programs. I can't wait to see what happens at Duke when K finally says "no mas".

10 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What are talking about?  They were pushing elite status and in a real conference.  Lost their coach and are in a garbage conference and are now lucky to be a top 20-25 program going forward.  What did I miss?

First team to get a post season ban, as a result of low A.P.R.  scores ?

15 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Four national championships, another Final Four, three more Elite Eights, and another Sweet 16?  They’re four seasons removed from a national championship, which they won when they were a member of that “garbage” conference.  Not to mention that the “powerhouse” Big Ten got a grand total of one more team into the tournament this year than the AAC.  If UCONN is “irrelevant” now after winning two national championships in the last eight seasons, I shudder to think what that makes IU.  It’s easily still a top 10-15 job.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Four national championships, another Final Four, three more Elite Eights, and another Sweet 16?  They’re four seasons removed from a national championship, which they won when they were a member of that “garbage” conference.  Not to mention that the “powerhouse” Big Ten got a grand total of one more team into the tournament this year than the AAC.  If UCONN is “irrelevant” now after winning two national championships in the last eight seasons, I shudder to think what that makes IU.  It’s easily still a top 10-15 job.

The last champ was the first year in the new conference iirc so that holds little weight imo.  Big ten has to step up as well as iu or we are toast.  At least we have major money still flowing.  

I'm talking about going forward.  I can't put them above the top 15% of power conference big boys. Not anymore.  They are the top of the crowd of Wichita State, Gonzaga, and Memphis.  They will get good seeds so long as they can recruit decent and win their conference.  

The last champ was the first year in the new conference iirc so that holds little weight imo.  Big ten has to step up as well as iu or we are toast.  At least we have major money still flowing.  

I'm talking about going forward.  I can't put them above the top 15% of power conference big boys. Not anymore.  They are the top of the crowd of Wichita State, Gonzaga, and Memphis.  They will get good seeds so long as they can recruit decent and win their conference.  

So just because they’ve missed the tournament three out of the past four years with their version of Mike Davis, they’re done as an elite program, regardless of the massive success they’ve had over the past 20 years.  Got it.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So just because they’ve missed the tournament three out of the past four years with their version of Mike Davis, they’re done as an elite program, regardless of the massive success they’ve had over the past 20 years.  Got it.

It does happen, and more than what a lot of people realize.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well I wasn't talking IU.  I was speaking more of Marquette, DePaul, UNLV, and the likes.

Seems hypocritical to say UCONN is done as an elite program three bad seasons after a national championship, and then turn around and say IU is still an elite program with basically no tournament success to speak of since 2002.

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yes.  They are in a garbage conference.  That is why.  They could have k or Cal and it would look like Memphis of old.  High seed susceptible to flame out an early exit.  Not elite... anymore.  

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yes.  They are in a garbage conference.  That is why.  They could have k or Cal and it would look like Memphis of old.  High seed susceptible to flame out an early exit.  Not elite... anymore.  

I just don’t see the basis you have in saying this.  A high seed from a weaker conference is no more likely to have an early tournament exit than a high seed from a stronger conference.

8 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seems hypocritical to say UCONN is done as an elite program three bad seasons after a national championship, and then turn around and say IU is still an elite program with basically no tournament success to speak of since 2002.

Say what?  I didn't say they were done.......I just said it happens.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I just don’t see the basis you have in saying this.  A high seed from a weaker conference is no more likely to have an early tournament exit than a high seed from a stronger conference.

It happened to Memphis time and time again, along with Gonzaga more recently.  They finally got the monkey of the back last year making final four but still the narrative has always been about, well they played weaker opponents and weren't as prepared, therefore they flamed out.  Go huskies9_9

Question.  Would you slate UConn as a top 10 program going forward?  The answer is all we need to know.  We can agree to disagree.  

It happened to Memphis time and time again, along with Gonzaga more recently.  They finally got the monkey of the back last year making final four but still the narrative has always been about, well they played weaker opponents and weren't as prepared, therefore they flamed out.  Go huskies9_9

Question.  Would you slate UConn as a top 10 program going forward?  The answer is all we need to know.  We can agree to disagree.  

All depends on how good the coach is, as it does for every program, “blue blood” or not.  But as I said earlier, the UCONN job is still a top 10-15 job regardless, as evidenced by the fact that they landed one of the top up-and-coming coaches on the market this year.  Much like IU did last year.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

All depends on how good the coach is, as it does for every program, “blue blood” or not.  But as I said earlier, the UCONN job is still a top 10-15 job regardless, as evidenced by the fact that they landed one of the top up-and-coming coaches on the market this year.  Much like IU did last year.

Agreed.  If he has the coaching chops and can recruit out there they could steady that ship.  He may jump one more time though.  Guys don't treat IU as the last stepping stone.  We shall see

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Agreed.  If he has the coaching chops and can recruit out there they could steady that ship.  He may jump one more time though.  Guys don't treat IU as the last stepping stone.  We shall see

Disagree that UCONN is a stepping stone job, but to each their own.  Being in a “Power 5” conference means less and less every year in college basketball.  

To answer the question posed, I think for sure Duke is grooming a replacement for K internally--Capel probably.

Depending on how much longer Izzo coaches, wouldn't surprise me if Fife doesn't become a serious candidate for that position.

UNC, I am not sure who is there on the staff that would be a candidate. I can't come up with names, but pretty certain there are head coaches out there who played for Smith or Roy. Whether any of them would "come home"...don't know

UK to me would be a crapshoot. Depending on how Cal leaves the program, it could be an attractive job, or could be a rebuild.

Not necessarily for any of these jobs, but I could see Padgett as a guy who could deserve a big name coaching job. I thought he did reasonably well holding the Louisville team together this year, given all of the distractions. I think that the guy at Nevada is going to be considered. 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

To answer the question posed, I think for sure Duke is grooming a replacement for K internally--Capel probably.

Depending on how much longer Izzo coaches, wouldn't surprise me if Fife doesn't become a serious candidate for that position.

UNC, I am not sure who is there on the staff that would be a candidate. I can't come up with names, but pretty certain there are head coaches out there who played for Smith or Roy. Whether any of them would "come home"...don't know

UK to me would be a crapshoot. Depending on how Cal leaves the program, it could be an attractive job, or could be a rebuild.

Not necessarily for any of these jobs, but I could see Padgett as a guy who could deserve a big name coaching job. I thought he did reasonably well holding the Louisville team together this year, given all of the distractions. I think that the guy at Nevada is going to be considered. 

Wes Miller a former UNC player is doing well at UNC-Greensboro could be a possible replacement.

On 3/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, jefftheref said:

My prediction is Mack to Louisville and Thad Matta back to Xavier.

Rumor in Louisville is Mack is almost a certainty.  Meeting this weekend with Mack and both AD and coaching announcements Monday/Tuesday of next week.  Family is a significant factor. as Mack's wife is from Louisville.

Archived