2018 coaching vacancies

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Rumor in Louisville is Mack is almost a certainty.  Meeting this weekend with Mack and both AD and coaching announcements Monday/Tuesday of next week.  Family is a significant factor. as Mack's wife is from Louisville.

To me, that's a surprise mostly due to timing. Louisville must have backed up the Brinks truck because Mack is going to have a tough 2-3 years even if the NCAA takes awhile to sole out the punishment that is coming. They must have known he was willing to come when they fired Padgett. 

Then again, I wouldn't be shocked if this whole rumor is wishful thinking on the part of the fans.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Rumor in Louisville is Mack is almost a certainty.  Meeting this weekend with Mack and both AD and coaching announcements Monday/Tuesday of next week.  Family is a significant factor. as Mack's wife is from Louisville.

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/college-sports/xavier-university-sports/xavier-coach-chris-mack-agrees-to-talk-with-louisville-about-filling-vacancy

From a purely mercenary standpoint, it makes sense for someone like Mack to take the job.  Beyond that, I can't see what would be so appealing about a program that is and will be on probation for the next few seasons.  And then sometime around when the current probation sentence expires there will likely be a much bigger punishment handed down (assuming the NCAA finally hands down sanctions commensurate with the violation).  Then again, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if UL has already decided to go back to business as usual and get right back in the mud.

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

From a purely mercenary standpoint, it makes sense for someone like Mack to take the job.  Beyond that, I can't see what would be so appealing about a program that is and will be on probation for the next few seasons.  And then sometime around when the current probation sentence expires there will likely be a much bigger punishment handed down (assuming the NCAA finally hands down sanctions commensurate with the violation).  Then again, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if UL has already decided to go back to business as usual and get right back in the mud.

1) Money,  UL is the most profitable basketball program in the country.  And, the university is perfectly willing to share those riches with the coach.

2) It's entirely possible that little, or nothing, more will come out of their NCAA troubles.  The FBI is on record as telling the NCAA to stay out of it until their own investigation is complete.  The FBI will be going after individuals more than institutions.  The FBI does nothing fast.  And, even when the FBI is done, the NCAA may be reluctant to drop the hammer on UL when some of their pet schools may also be involved.  You can't hammer UL if other schools that are part of the same investigation get nothing.  I almost guarantee the NCAA already has on the table that 'the FBI punishments will be enough'.

22 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

With the hiring of a new coach at Missouri State :

Missouri State names new men's basketball coach

And without ever having played a game there, Crown Point's Grant Gelon, has asked for and has been granted a transfer. 

Grant's new theme song :    Travelin' man 

The kid will be 30 before he gets his degree. And to think we offered him a scholarship. Another fine recruiting job by Crean. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

1) Money,  UL is the most profitable basketball program in the country.  And, the university is perfectly willing to share those riches with the coach.

2) It's entirely possible that little, or nothing, more will come out of their NCAA troubles.  The FBI is on record as telling the NCAA to stay out of it until their own investigation is complete.  The FBI will be going after individuals more than institutions.  The FBI does nothing fast.  And, even when the FBI is done, the NCAA may be reluctant to drop the hammer on UL when some of their pet schools may also be involved.  You can't hammer UL if other schools that are part of the same investigation get nothing.  I almost guarantee the NCAA already has on the table that 'the FBI punishments will be enough'.

Love your second point there.  Nothing will happen to the 'Ville.  

21 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

If nothing happens to Louisville, we don't need the NCAA.

Essentially you summed up North Carolina's entire defense. They basically told the NCAA you don't have the authority to punish us. Kidding aside...angst vs NCAA is at an all time high. They know it too. Emmert can either retreat back to Washington and count his millions....or do something substantive before being removed. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Read where Tubby Smith will be named the next coach at High Point where he played from 1969-73.

I've had to reevaluate Tubby over the years, I used to be a big fan and thought he got a raw deal at Ken....... But, after all that went down in Minnesota, not such a big fan. Perhaps, he can redeem himself at High Point. I hope so, and I sincerely mean that.

Out: Ken Burmeister. It was year No. 5 for the Cardinals in D-I. It was their worst season yet, a 7-21 finish with a 2-16 record in the Southland. The administration needs to make the right kind of hire to replace Burmeister in order to get on track in the Southland. It could be detrimental to D-I transition if the next coach can't bring the program to the top half of the conference in the next three seasons. 

In: Carson Cunningham. ESPN reported on Wednesday that Dr. Carson Cunningham will take over. Cunningham played at Purdue and most recently coached at the NAIA level. 

This is in regards to Incarnate Word. Guess missing out on Priller started the downfall for Burmeister.

Interesting to see that an ex-Purdue guy is taking over. Could this be the beginning of the PorkChop coaching tree? :panic:

40 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Out: Ken Burmeister. It was year No. 5 for the Cardinals in D-I. It was their worst season yet, a 7-21 finish with a 2-16 record in the Southland. The administration needs to make the right kind of hire to replace Burmeister in order to get on track in the Southland. It could be detrimental to D-I transition if the next coach can't bring the program to the top half of the conference in the next three seasons. 

In: Carson Cunningham. ESPN reported on Wednesday that Dr. Carson Cunningham will take over. Cunningham played at Purdue and most recently coached at the NAIA level. 

This is in regards to Incarnate Word. Guess missing out on Priller started the downfall for Burmeister.

Interesting to see that an ex-Purdue guy is taking over. Could this be the beginning of the PorkChop coaching tree? :panic:

Painter's coaching tree would undoubtedly be a weeping willow.

13 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Painter's coaching tree would undoubtedly be a weeping willow.

I am pretty sure Cuonzo was an assistant under him...........and I ain't too sure that the guy that took the Missouri St. job wasn't as well.

Sounds like Chris Mack to Louisville should be done soon or later today. Considering the unknown...pretty big leap by Mack. I understand his family and history with Louisville but taking this job at this time tells me a couple of things. He realizes Xavier doesn't have much coming back (will discuss Scruggs in other thread) or he knows the Louisville job won't be available and even if it's a couple rough years he'll deal with it. 

To his credit. By accepting he's buying a ton of loyalty from Louisville fans. Similar to Crean hire...probably couldn't expect to do much better given the circumstances/results at time of hire.

*I realize there were names thrown around before we hired Crean....we all know the names...but at the time a young energetic coach coming off a F4 4 years before was about as good as we could get.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Doesn't he have ties to the Hoosiers?

Sampson hired him to be video coordinator and to help Gordon choose IU. He's half brother of John Groce. Strong Midwest recruiter and would be the smart continuity hire by Xavier...but that's a pretty big step up considering he was looking at Evansville job. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sampson hired him to be video coordinator and to help Gordon choose IU. He's half brother of John Groce. Strong Midwest recruiter and would be the smart continuity hire by Xavier...but that's a pretty big step up considering he was looking at Evansville job. 

Thank you for the info........I thought I recognized the name.

Archived