2018 coaching vacancies

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think Thad Matta is an interesting name for Pitt. Apparently there was some interest with Ole MIss, so sounds like his health is improved. Pitt is within hours of Butler, OSU and Xavier, so definitely within his core recruiting footprint. He could be an interesting hire for them. Too bad Pitt didn't stay in the Big East though, moving to the ACC seems to have really hurt them from a pure basketball competitiveness standpoint. 

I agree, in that from what I have been able to gather.... Matta is shopping himself around for a new gig.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't even know what you're talking about? Like Crean's ego is any bigger than any other major conference D1 Coach. Ben Howland went to Mississippi St., you don't think he has a huge ego? The guy wants to coach. Pitt was a very successful program under Jaime Dixon, you don't think Crean believe he can get Pitt to similar levels? 

Oh, there's no doubt in my mind that he wants to coach again.

Comments attributed to Crean such as " believes he's always the smartest guy in the room " is an example of the ego that I referred to. His unwillingness to adapt to the strengths of his players is another example. Of course, having the Harbaugh boys chirping about how IU made such a huge mistake only fed into the ego.

I firmly believe that Crean sees himself as a coaching elite, and for that reason he won't look at jobs that are a step backwards in his opinion. I think he would seriously like to coach Louisville if they offered. He might consider UCONN. 

I may very well be wrong but regardless, my opinion won't change that he values his worth as a coach higher than what his resume proves out

3 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Sorry, just don't get it.

The last look of a Crean team was of one that didn't value the ball, didn't play much defense and had a poor basketball IQ.

How does any of that translate into being an attractive HC at a major program?

2 Big Ten Titles mean a ton to plenty. Except our fan base. He'll get many offers.

7 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Saw the news about Stallings on the PU rivals board.  In that thread there are posters that speculate/fear that Painter may go to UL or UK when Cal leaves.  And no, I'm not making that up.

That’s why you take the free board with a grain of salt. That kind of nonsense isn’t being said on the paid board and would actually be laughed at if it was. 

Edit: I just read that thread and didn’t see one single post mention Painter going to UL/UK 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s why you take the free board with a grain of salt. That kind of nonsense isn’t being said on the paid board and would actually be laughed at if it was. 

Edit: I just read that thread and didn’t see one single post mention Painter going to UL/UK 

You're looking at the wrong thread.  Scroll down just a little bit.  It's there.  

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2 Big Ten Titles mean a ton to plenty. Except our fan base. He'll get many offers.

Painter has just as many conference titles and has come in 2nd 3 times. He also took Purdue to the Sweet 16 3 times. That record exceeds what Crean did at IU, but most on here do not consider Painter  to be a good coach.

With post season conference tournaments, unbalanced schedules and the importance of the national tournament, regular season conference championships have lost their value, in some respects. My opinion, but just don't see the attractiveness to a style of ball that couldn't produce consistent winners at a place with all of the support, facilities, etc., that IU provided him.

31 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Painter has just as many conference titles and has come in 2nd 3 times. He also took Purdue to the Sweet 16 3 times. That record exceeds what Crean did at IU, but most on here do not consider Painter  to be a good coach.

With post season conference tournaments, unbalanced schedules and the importance of the national tournament, regular season conference championships have lost their value, in some respects. My opinion, but just don't see the attractiveness to a style of ball that couldn't produce consistent winners at a place with all of the support, facilities, etc., that IU provided him.

We fired Crean for those results and he was at IU for 9 years, versus Painter at PU for 14 years. If we didn't think Crean was good enough to keep, why would we think Painter is a good coach for similar results in 5 more years?

5 minutes ago, IUaic said:

We fired Crean for those results and he was at IU for 9 years, versus Painter at PU for 14 years. If we didn't think Crean was good enough to keep, why would we think Painter is a good coach for similar results in 5 more years?

I agree with you. My point is, why would another program look at Crean as a viable candidate? His results don't warrant being hired by any school who has intentions of being serious contenders for a national title. Just like most on here would not endorse Painter as a candidate, imo Crean should be viewed in the same light.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I agree with you. My point is, why would another program look at Crean as a viable candidate? His results don't warrant being hired by any school who has intentions of being serious contenders for a national title. Just like most on here would not endorse Painter as a candidate, imo Crean should be viewed in the same light.

Missouri hired Painter with those results, so not sure why you think programs like Pitt, Georgia, etc. wouldn't hire Crean? Heck, Pitt hired Stallings with a worse resume than Crean. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Missouri hired Painter with those results, so not sure why you think programs like Pitt, Georgia, etc. wouldn't hire Crean? Heck, Pitt hired Stallings with a worse resume than Crean. 

Ummmmm, Missouri never hired Painter.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Sorry, wrong wording. Missouri offered their job to Painter and all indications were he was going to accept it until Purdue came in last minute and upped their ante. 

Gotcha and understand.  

24 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Because at programs like Pitt or Georgia their fan base would be alright with a few conference championships and 3 sweet 16's.  Their expectations for their basketball programs are not what the expectations at IU are.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because at programs like Pitt or Georgia their fan base would be alright with a few conference championships and 3 sweet 16's.  Their expectations for their basketball programs are not what the expectations at IU are.

As I posted above..........why did Pitt usher Dixon out the door?

Just now, rico said:

As I posted above..........why did Pitt usher Dixon out the door?

They were stupid and probably had to unrealistic expectations for their program.  Howland and Dixon did some really good things at Pitt and that leads fans wanting more.  After their move to the ACC their program started to decline and if you ask me they made a big mistake moving to the ACC.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They were stupid and probably had to unrealistic expectations for their program.  Howland and Dixon did some really good things at Pitt and that leads fans wanting more.  After their move to the ACC their program started to decline and if you ask me they made a big mistake moving to the ACC.

And you forgot about Paul Evans.

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I wonder if the Italian Stallion, Slick Rickie will get dumped? I would imagine in two weeks coaches will start getting dumped. 

I think Minnie will dump him.  His coaching stint has been marked by multiple serious disciplinary problems and this year's team which was supposed to go far was a big bust.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

And you forgot about Paul Evans.

I actually saw Pitt with Sean Miller in 89 lose in the first round of the tournament to Ball St.  I just think fan bases have unrealistic expectations to where there program ceiling is and it leads to programs making bad decisions.

3 minutes ago, slojoe said:

I think Minnie will dump him.  His coaching stint has been marked by multiple serious disciplinary problems and this year's team which was supposed to go far was a big bust.

To be fair they played without 3 key players most of the year

Archived