2018 coaching vacancies

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I actually saw Pitt with Sean Miller in 89 lose in the first round of the tournament to Ball St.  I just think fan bases have unrealistic expectations to where there program ceiling is and it leads to programs making bad decisions.

At least one due to longstanding disciplinary problems.  I don't know about the other two.

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Missouri hired Painter with those results, so not sure why you think programs like Pitt, Georgia, etc. wouldn't hire Crean? Heck, Pitt hired Stallings with a worse resume than Crean. 

Again, as I said, with everything that IU could offer a coach, financially, facilities, recruiting base, alumni and fan support.....and he still could not produce consistent winners.

I also find it interesting that no one has knocked down Crean's door offering him a position. He sat for a year. Speaks to me that others saw how poor a product that he last put on the floor .

54 minutes ago, slojoe said:

At least one due to longstanding disciplinary problems.  I don't know about the other two.

I think you quoted the wrong post so if you are talking about Minnesota they played the whole year without Curry and most of the year without Coffey.

28 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Again, as I said, with everything that IU could offer a coach, financially, facilities, recruiting base, alumni and fan support.....and he still could not produce consistent winners.

I also find it interesting that no one has knocked down Crean's door offering him a position. He sat for a year. Speaks to me that others saw how poor a product that he last put on the floor .

I think you're locked in your IU bubble on this one. Tom Crean will get a Power 5 job either this offseason or next. It depends on what all the openings are, but he'll get one. 

Guys like Ben Howland, Tubby Smith, Lon Kruger, Bruce Weber, Leonard Hamilton, Steve Alford, Ernie Kent, etc. ,etc. have all been fired at one point and then hired by other Power 5 schools. I'm the list is much longer too. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I think you're locked in your IU bubble on this one. Tom Crean will get a Power 5 job either this offseason or next. It depends on what all the openings are, but he'll get one. 

Guys like Ben Howland, Tubby Smith, Lon Kruger, Bruce Weber, Leonard Hamilton, Steve Alford, Ernie Kent, etc. ,etc. have all been fired at one point and then hired by other Power 5 schools. I'm the list is much longer too. 

You are probably right....something about history repeating itself.

I would feel somewhat differently if Crean had shown that he had changed, or grown while at IU. The things that the Marquette fans posted as criticisms , and that posters here originally scoffed at, were the same things we ultimately criticized him for. Unless he and his ego change, I am afraid that another school will go through the same roller coaster that we did for 9 years.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

You are probably right....something about history repeating itself.

I would feel somewhat differently if Crean had shown that he had changed, or grown while at IU. The things that the Marquette fans posted as criticisms , and that posters here originally scoffed at, were the same things we ultimately criticized him for. Unless he and his ego change, I am afraid that another school will go through the same roller coaster that we did for 9 years.

I just don’t think you’re being objective. You’re focusing on everything you didn’t like about Crean at IU, but not the bigger picture. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Crean is gone. I was ready about 3 years earlier for IU to move on, but at the same time his overall resume, while inconsistent, is certainly one of a Power 5 job  

You don’t think schools (just naming typically average programs, not sure of all their coaching situations) like Georgia, Pitt, Oregon St., Ole Miss, DePaul, Arizona St., Wake Forest, etc., etc. wouldn’t like a coach that has gone to a Final Four, been to 3 other Sweet Sixteens, has won two recent Power 5 outright conference titles, landed 5 Burger Boys, and has coached numerous NBA players? 

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I just don’t think you’re being objective. You’re focusing on everything you didn’t like about Crean at IU, but not the bigger picture. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad Crean is gone. I was ready about 3 years earlier for IU to move on, but at the same time his overall resume, while inconsistent, is certainly one of a Power 5 job  

You don’t think schools (just naming typically average programs, not sure of all their coaching situations) like Georgia, Pitt, Oregon St., Ole Miss, DePaul, Arizona St., Wake Forest, etc., etc. wouldn’t like a coach that has gone to a Final Four, been to 3 other Sweet Sixteens, has won two recent Power 5 outright conference titles, landed 5 Burger Boys, and has coached numerous NBA players? 

-His best IU teams underperformed

-His team last year, with 3 of those NBAers you refer to, didn't even make the tournament

-Of the numerous NBA players, Wade and Cody were going to the league regardless of who coached them

-With all the talent you reference, you would think his record would have been more stellar

I am positive someone will hire him. I also believe that several years later they will be regretting it, just like Marquette did and just like we did. Crean would have to prove that he has changed for the results to be any different, and it's my opinion that his ego won't allow for that.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

-His team last year, with 3 of those NBAers you refer to, didn't even make the tournament

-Of the numerous NBA players, Wade and Cody were going to the league regardless of who coached them

-With all the talent you reference, you would think his record would have been more stellar

I am positive someone will hire him. I also believe that several years later they will be regretting it, just like Marquette did and just like we did. Crean would have to prove that he has changed for the results to be any different, and it's my opinion that his ego won't allow for that.

Meh.  I don't agree with you at all.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

First, I'm mad at you for putting me in a position to defend Crean :D.

Second...

- His best teams won two outright conference titles and made 3 Sweet Sixteens. Not good enough for IU, but good enough for about 1/3 or more Power 5 Schools

- I'm not advocating he should still be IU's coach. Last season was an absolute disaster and I was hoping IU would lose games so he'd get fired. Though people keep saying 3 NBA players. JBJ is not an NBA player and wasn't drafted, an OG the only real NBA player was injured the second half of the season. 

- VO, Wes Matthews, Troy, Yogi, Travis Deiner, Jeral McNeal, Novak, etc. were not going to the league regardless

- He's wildly inconsistent, but again we're not talking about a Blue Blood hiring him again. His results would be celebrated at numerous Power 5 schools

18 minutes ago, BGleas said:

First, I'm mad at you for putting me in a position to defend Crean :D.

Second...

- His best teams won two outright conference titles and made 3 Sweet Sixteens. Not good enough for IU, but good enough for about 1/3 or more Power 5 Schools

- I'm not advocating he should still be IU's coach. Last season was an absolute disaster and I was hoping IU would lose games so he'd get fired. Though people keep saying 3 NBA players. JBJ is not an NBA player and wasn't drafted, an OG the only real NBA player was injured the second half of the season. 

- VO, Wes Matthews, Troy, Yogi, Travis Deiner, Jeral McNeal, Novak, etc. were not going to the league regardless

- He's wildly inconsistent, but again we're not talking about a Blue Blood hiring him again. His results would be celebrated at numerous Power 5 schools

Gleas, I am sure that you are right.

My contention from the beginning of this conversation is that Crean's ego would/will not allow him to consider one of the positions that many think are best suited for his abilities. I really think that he thinks that he's an elite coach. I mentioned earlier in this thread that jobs like Louisville or UCONN are where he sees himself.

Looks like the Huskies may be interested. If they hire him, I hope that they are ready for a roller coaster ride 

Reasons why Crean might take the Pitt job, if offered.

1). He was an associate coach at Pitt for one year.

2). His daughter was born in Pittsburgh.

3). Joani Crean is a Pitt grad.

All I am saying, is that he has connections from the past to Pitt. 

I wish nothing but the best for Crean. He was/is a good man with integrity and morals. He busted his butt when he came here and got us back to respectability. 

In saying that I was never a fan of his coaching/recruiting. I always thought he was a mediocre coach who never got his hands around keeping in state talent at home. 

This is just my personal opinion and if I were Crean I would continue to take my money from Indiana and  stay at ESPN as an analyst. He is very very good at that. 

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Reasons why Crean might take the Pitt job, if offered.

1). He was an associate coach at Pitt for one year.

2). His daughter was born in Pittsburgh.

3). Joani Crean is a Pitt grad.

All I am saying, is that he has connections from the past to Pitt. 

I think that would be a good fit but I just think it will be hard for Pitt to compete in the ACC.  Pitt usually recruited in the east and now that they are in the ACC those east coast kids might not want to play in the ACC

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

When I think of Crean getting another job and being asked why he chose that school, I can’t help but think he’ll say “It’s (insert school)” a hundred times

He doesn't lose press conferences. He won't broach that subject. My guess is when he does accept a new job in about 30 days he'll say that he, the administration, and AD are all uniform in their purpose. No secret that he and Glass were barely on speaking terms toward the end. You won't ever hear a bad word from Crean about IU. Glass or AD references are going to be insinuated though. Book it. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

He doesn't lose press conferences. He won't broach that subject. My guess is when he does accept a new job in about 30 days he'll say that he, the administration, and AD are all uniform in their purpose. No secret that he and Glass were barely on speaking terms toward the end. You won't ever hear a bad word from Crean about IU. Glass or AD references are going to be insinuated though. Book it. 

I was referring to his introductory press conference at IU when he said “Its Indiana” about 20 times.  I don’t think he will say it but it would just be funny to me to hear him say “It’s Montana State” or something like that, trying to hold whatever school he goes to in high regard

I am confident Crean will land somewhere.  But I sure as heck wouldn't want the Pitt job.  And the UConn job is dicey at best considering what conference they are in.  Louisville makes a lot of sense.  Crean put out a dumpster fire here and they got a bigger one down there.

Archived