Championship Week

Thought it might be fun to discuss other conference's tournaments.

If you aren't watching the Lipscomb vs. Florida Gulf Coast game, I suggest turning it on.  Lipscomb score 60 in the first half and had a 32 point lead.  FGCU has cut it to 13 on their home floor with some really good defense (surprisingly!).  Still 12 minutes to go.  Really exciting game.

Yesterday started championship week and to me this is the start of the best month for a sports fan.  Also this is what makes the college game so great because you see the passion that these smaller teams play with.  I enjoy watching the smaller conferences better than the big conferences because you know it is survive and advance.  Watching a team like Radford hit a 3 at the buzzer to win the conference today is what makes this month so special.  You saw Lipscomb win the conference tournament to get their first ever tournament bid.  After the last few weeks of the talk of the scandal this month is what makes college basketball special and not a bunch of one and done players that are the cause of the scandals.  You see both sides of the emotion where on one side you see tears of joy and the other side has tears of sadness.  Watching these games show how much these kids cares about the game and the outcome of the game and not whether or not they are being compensated for playing.

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I agree. In some ways I have always enjoyed this week as much as the Thursday/Friday of the NCAA tournament. Personally though, I find this week depressing when we aren’t going to be punching our ticket. 

Especially with a whole extra week before selection sunday, knowing we aren't going dancing!

Great post, Scott.  Also, without IU playing games I’ve been reading the board more the last couple days.  One observation: the content is pretty good on numerous threads AND, more importantly there is not the dark cloud there has been the last few years.  I know we all wanted more, but it seems like everyone is upbeat about the direction we are headed!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Year 4 for Sampson at Houston. 3 straight 20 win seasons. Playing for conf tourney title today. If they stay a 6 seed in tourney I wouldn't want to be the 3 seed playing them in 2nd round. Doing all of this with plenty of 2 and 3 star recruits too.

They have former IU player Devin Davis

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Will they make the NIT?  Good for Jurkin he’s been able to carve out a role there.

They are not guaranteed a NIT bid as they finished 2nd in their conference.  But they will see post season action.

Archived