One And Done May Be Done

Interesting article from ESPN about the NBA and their efforts to help improve youth basketball and potentially get rid of age limit requirements.  This could have major recruiting implications and change the future of college basketball.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22615784/nba-making-plans-get-involved-high-school-level-once-again-espn

personally i would love to see this happen.  Nothing will do more to level the playing field, especially if the one year sit out transfer rule dissolves.   And personally I get tired of hearing about 'freshmen' this and that from espn and dickie v every game.  The 3 and 4 year players dont seem to get much talk time.  (i saw this year that during trey young and oklahoma games, he had he own little continuous points ticker above the score.  lame.) 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

So.... the NBA is talking about establishing relationships with elite high school players ?  Somehow that does not sit right with me.  Drop the one and done rule.  And let the kids decide on their own what they want to do, IMHO. 

Yea seems like they could lose control of that quick, and have them telling kids to skip school.

17 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Yea seems like they could lose control of that quick, and have them telling kids to skip school.

Agreed.  There is no way, an outside source.... such as the NBA should be determining the future of young men.  Family, yes, to an extent.   NBA no.  And in the end... let the kid decide for himself what his future should entail .   In the end.... regardless of one's talents, I have always felt there is no substitute for what a college education can provide an individual... whether the individual spends one year in college... or eight or more.... that is something no one can take from them.... and something they can use later in life... in some most unexpected ways.

The NCAA has always had the power to end the consequences of the NBA one year rule by simply making freshmen ineligible to participate in games.  While it wouldn't have prevented all the corruption in college basketball, it would have gone a long way to mitigate it.  I'd argue it's actually in the student-athlete's best interest to sit the first year regardless of the NBA rule.  Kids struggle with myriad difficulties their freshmen year as it is.

The NCAA, of course, has only looked out for it's pocketbook in lieu of actually doing what's good for the athletes.

6 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

The NCAA has always had the power to end the consequences of the NBA one year rule by simply making freshmen ineligible to participate in games.  While it wouldn't have prevented all the corruption in college basketball, it would have gone a long way to mitigate it.  I'd argue it's actually in the student-athlete's best interest to sit the first year regardless of the NBA rule.  Kids struggle with myriad difficulties their freshmen year as it is.

The NCAA, of course, has only looked out for it's pocketbook in lieu of actually doing what's good for the athletes.

Great point. It's been said here many times that the one & done rule is the NBA's rule, which is true.  Sitting freshmen would go a long way toward neutering that rule, or at least not allowing the NBA to use college as a farm/scouting system.

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I hope they do get rid of the one and done but they need to implement a system where if you go to college you have to stay 3 years.

Why? That's excessive for basketball. If you allow kids to go out of high school you'll likely only see guys that blow up their freshman year leave after one year. 

5 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe two years is a fair compromise, although I have no idea how you'd hold them contractually if they were staring at NBA millions after blowing up as a frosh.

Implement a fine that is significant enough to make them think twice about breaking the agreement.  Any monies collected would go directly to the school’s scholarship fund.  

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Maybe two years is a fair compromise, although I have no idea how you'd hold them contractually if they were staring at NBA millions after blowing up as a frosh.

It would have to come from the NBA just like the MLB says that you can come out of high school but if you go to college you are not eligible to be drafted until you been out of high school 3 years.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It would have to come from the NBA just like the MLB says that you can come out of high school but if you go to college you are not eligible to be drafted until you been out of high school 3 years.

The question is whether or how that is in the NBA's interest. They're not going to do anything that isn't. I don't know the backstory to the MLB rule, but the MLB and NBA are very different animals.

And to the point about the NBA looking for ways to get involved in youth sports and develop early relationships, that is far from new, it's just new for the NBA. Soccer has been doing that, globally, for decades. It is now developing as a model in US Academy soccer, as in academies of professional teams recruiting and developing kids to develop skills deemed needed for professional level players (my oldest played for 5 years with the Houston Dynamo Academy, and it was overall a pretty effective program, although extremely demanding and does impact education and school sports). The soccer analogy applies here -- kids globally are far better developed outside the US, which is why US soccer (men's side) lags behind. US basketball players are obviously cream of the crop, but AAU is often detrimental, instead of being a plus for development, corruption is wide-spread, from youth basketball to college (obviously), and there are all kinds of examples of Euro players getting much better development (Dirk, etc.). Having the NBA develop a youth system could be a good thing.

15 minutes ago, Dawg Bawls said:

You know when I was 18, I signed a contract to have meals, education, room and board paid for as long as I wore my uniform and PT'd everyday...Noone said I couldnt do that...and I wasnt dodging balls ...or wrenches ...OORAH!😁

Thank you, for your service.   Marines, I take it. 

On 3/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, milehiiu said:

So.... the NBA is talking about establishing relationships with elite high school players ?  Somehow that does not sit right with me.  Drop the one and done rule.  And let the kids decide on their own what they want to do, IMHO. 

The NBA absolutely needs to be involved. They need to be able to tell kids if they are ready or not.That was the issue before, kids coming out who were not ready and taking bad advice from agents and parents thinking their kid is all world and the next Jordan. The NBA can let the high school kids get evaluated like they do the college underclass men and get a grade. To me the NBA getting involved helps the kids/family decision making. College isn’t for everyone and to be honest, just because a kid goes pro and takes the money doesn’t mean he can’t go back to school later. I hope the NBA creates a full minor league system to be honest. 

27 minutes ago, Feathery said:

The NBA absolutely needs to be involved. They need to be able to tell kids if they are ready or not.That was the issue before, kids coming out who were not ready and taking bad advice from agents and parents thinking their kid is all world and the next Jordan. The NBA can let the high school kids get evaluated like they do the college underclass men and get a grade. To me the NBA getting involved helps the kids/family decision making. College isn’t for everyone and to be honest.  Just because a kid goes pro and takes the money doesn’t mean he can’t go back to school later. I hope the NBA creates a full minor league system to be honest. 

Agree here. They really are only going to be involved with, what, 25-35 kids a year? At most? I’ll take the NBA over agents. And I think the NBAPA should get on board and blackball agents who exploit whatever new system is proposed. Look, the NBA needs to scout. Kids need feedback to help them make a decision for their future. How will they be any different from college coaches?

6 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It takes years for most mlb prospects to be ready for the show, and the have an extensive minor league system at their disposal. The NBA will never hamper themselves with a 3 year rule. 

But many more basketball players are ready for the NBA right out of high school than baseball players are ready for MLB.  I think 2 years is better or perhaps let the player get evaluated by NBA and under certain circumstances he can leave after 1 or 2 years.

Is there a negative to allowing top high school college players to test the NBA waters AND declare for the draft, then, if not drafted, go to college or go back to college? I don't see why these kids are tainted as non-amateurs by going through the process if they declare for the draft and don't make it. I assume there is a good reason for this, but that is not always the case.

I get that they may be given some travel benefits, etc. during the pre-draft process to work out for teams, but I just don't see why the ones that don't succeed are all of a sudden kicked to the curb when many would benefit from going back, playing for their university and moving on with their education.

Again, I may be missing something and am not saying this is the best process...just curious as to the negatives.

I think the biggest challenge with letting players who don't get drafted go back to college is the position it puts coaches in in terms of recruiting. There just isn't a lot of time at that point to continue recruiting for the class or freeing up space for the now returning player. 

35 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I think the biggest challenge with letting players who don't get drafted go back to college is the position it puts coaches in in terms of recruiting. There just isn't a lot of time at that point to continue recruiting for the class or freeing up space for the now returning player. 

Add a scholarship, make that player pay his own way or (gasp) make the coaches plan ahead. 

1 hour ago, INDenizen said:

Is there a negative to allowing top high school college players to test the NBA waters AND declare for the draft, then, if not drafted, go to college or go back to college? I don't see why these kids are tainted as non-amateurs by going through the process if they declare for the draft and don't make it. I assume there is a good reason for this, but that is not always the case.

I get that they may be given some travel benefits, etc. during the pre-draft process to work out for teams, but I just don't see why the ones that don't succeed are all of a sudden kicked to the curb when many would benefit from going back, playing for their university and moving on with their education.

Again, I may be missing something and am not saying this is the best process...just curious as to the negatives.

Biggest reason why McKinley Wright, who committed to Dayton and Archie, is not a Hoosier..... is because at the time.... IU had not one.... but two guys testing the water... and McKinley, himself... said he did not want to lose a chance to get a sure thing scholarship at the University of Colorado.

Archived