The tip of the iceburg for Underwood ?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

The comments under the story are savage.

Never even noticed those till you pointed it out.

Sad to see the comments about the kid.

However my favorite :  "Underwood.. certainly Underwhelming in his first year. "  Expected more.

We discussed this in the Around the B10 thread, but I think this was more about Smith not being ready.  Frazier looks like their PG of the future and they have Dosunmu coming in this year, so he probably wasn’t going to get minutes.  But I was talking to a UI grad today, and he’s worried more transfers are coming.  He was even worried about Black leaving.

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We discussed this in the Around the B10 thread, but I think this was more about Smith not being ready.  Frazier looks like their PG of the future and they have Dosunmu coming in this year, so he probably wasn’t going to get minutes.  But I was talking to a UI grad today, and he’s worried more transfers are coming.  He was even worried about Black leaving.

Reading one of the Illini boards.... I gathered there is a concern that Black may hop.  Remember when IU was recruiting him ?  Kid has come a long way from his freshman year, when I felt he was the dirtiest player in the B1G.  This past season.... he was solid.  It would be a big hit for Illinois, should he transfer.  I just don't think he would want to sit for a year.  But who knows ?  This is, after all.... the age of the transfer.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Reading one of the Illini boards.... I gathered there is a concern that Black may hop.  Remember when IU was recruiting him ?  Kid has come a long way from his freshman year, when I felt he was the dirtiest player in the B1G.  This past season.... he was solid.  It would be a big hit for Illinois, should he transfer.  I just don't think he would want to sit for a year.  But who knows ?  This is, after all.... the age of the transfer.

No positive way to spin this from staff or Illinois. Smith is the first one. More to come soon. 

7 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Black would not have to sit, he is in his 4th season and will graduate this spring, so would be immediately eligible via the grad student waiver.

But the subject line is correct. Black will most likely be heading off to start his pro career since he's not an NBA level guy, so no real reason for him not to get started. Would like to have him back, but can't fault him for doing what he needs to do to support his new fiance. Probably a couple others leaving as well.

Smith is leaving because his dad thinks he should be running the team, even though when he was starting early in the season and was not very effective outside of a couple of games. Once conference play started, he was just overmatched. Too bad, I think he's still a solid prospect but dad doesn't agree. If you followed his recruitment at all, dad was the one who wanted Mark to visit MSU, Ohio St, Kentucky, etc. Classic case where a kid blows up late in his SR season and gets attention from a lot of programs that might have an open spot, but he's not a top 25 level recruit. Seems like Oklahoma and maybe Butler are potential destinations.

Staff has had bad PR hits in Chicago (THT stuff) and now metro STL (to go along with losing Tilmon). Not the best beginning....

38 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Black would not have to sit, he is in his 4th season and will graduate this spring, so would be immediately eligible via the grad student waiver.

But the subject line is correct. Black will most likely be heading off to start his pro career since he's not an NBA level guy, so no real reason for him not to get started. Would like to have him back, but can't fault him for doing what he needs to do to support his new fiance. Probably a couple others leaving as well.

Smith is leaving because his dad thinks he should be running the team, even though when he was starting early in the season and was not very effective outside of a couple of games. Once conference play started, he was just overmatched. Too bad, I think he's still a solid prospect but dad doesn't agree. If you followed his recruitment at all, dad was the one who wanted Mark to visit MSU, Ohio St, Kentucky, etc. Classic case where a kid blows up late in his SR season and gets attention from a lot of programs that might have an open spot, but he's not a top 25 level recruit. Seems like Oklahoma and maybe Butler are potential destinations.

Staff has had bad PR hits in Chicago (THT stuff) and now metro STL (to go along with losing Tilmon). Not the best beginning....

Thanks for the intel on Black.  Reading now, that he more than likely will test the NBA waters. 

I wasn't a fan of his during his freshman season.  However, I saw him make so many unbelievable shots that constantly kept the Illini in many of their games this past season, that I eventually became a fan.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think it will go public this weekend. Leron Black is ready to bounce. 

Very possible. One of my very good friends from the Illini board was telling me that Leron met with the Illini staff on March 5.  It was not an end of year summary. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Very possible. One of my very good friends from the Illini board was telling me that Leron met with the Illini staff on March 5.  It was not an end of year summary. 

From what I was told last weekend. Guess he's making the very mature and wise decision to get married at age 20 whatever...haha...and needs to start earning. More to come besides Smith, Black....nothing of consequence but Illini picked up a commit today from a powerhouse Center who had offers from UIC, Rutgers, and UMass. That was after earlier in the week getting a commit from a kid (former NBA player son) who had offers from St. Bonnie and a host of other powerhouses. 

On 3/6/2018 at 10:21 AM, FKIM01 said:

dumpster fire.jpg

LeRon Black  :  "I'm taking my degree, and getting out of this Underwood dumpster fire, while the gettin' gets good.  "

Naw.... he didn't say that.  But he did talk about having his undergrad degree.

Black's leaving, IMHO will have a big impact on the team.   Kind  of like what void would need to be filled, if Juwan Morgan leaves early.

Black went from one of the dirtiest players in the B1G to one of the B1G's best players, in my estimation.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost another one today. Finke graduating early and playing elsewhere. One thing that was a little odd in his public post was that he said Underwood/Illinois would not renew his scholarship. For clarification. Illinois honored the 4 years. Won't give him another one for his last year of eligibility. 

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Are the Illini oversigned or something?

Not sure. I think it's just year 1 stuff. Underwood is looking for a certain type of guy and Groce didn't necessarily fill the cupboards. With that said. He lost Mr. Illinois in year 1 who was his recruit. I expect another transfer coming as well. Probably would be more but I think a couple of the guys only have one more year. Hard to say this considering they beat us but they actually might be worse next year. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think another one comes out tonight. 2 for the day. 

Yes two for Monday.  Te'Jon Lucas announced he will be leaving after just two seasons as well.

All told, that makes 4 leaving the team, not counting the ones graduating.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Yes two for Monday.  Te'Jon Lucas announced he will be leaving after just two seasons as well.

One more will be announced soon if not later tonight. I'm losing track but I think that makes 5. 6 was the number I heard a few weekends ago when we first started talking about it. I expect Underwood to get a couple of commits later this week. Guaranteed playing time is the only reason. See you in 2020 at the earliest Illini!

With everyone leaving, it makes no sense that Underwood doesn't have a scholarship for Finke.  I saw Finke as a net positive on that team in a sea of negatives.  Maybe he's not great but he's surely better than leaving the scholarship unfilled for a year.

Archived