The tip of the iceburg for Underwood ?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

With everyone leaving, it makes no sense that Underwood doesn't have a scholarship for Finke.  I saw Finke as a net positive on that team in a sea of negatives.  Maybe he's not great but he's surely better than leaving the scholarship unfilled for a year.

According to my Illini friend.... both Finke and Lucas were told that their scholarships will not be renewed.  Finke, in particular sounds contentious.  As talks between he and Underwood, supposedly had been going on for weeks, before he was told that the Illini would not be offering him a scholarship.

Also, Joseph Thompson, once considered a near lock for Underwood, now is a heavy Iowa State lean.  May even be committing to ISU soon.

Crystal Ball indicates many March changes from Illinois to ISU.

Joseph Thompson's Crystal Ball Predictions

On 3/26/2018 at 5:53 PM, Seeking6 said:

Lost another one today. Finke graduating early and playing elsewhere. One thing that was a little odd in his public post was that he said Underwood/Illinois would not renew his scholarship. For clarification. Illinois honored the 4 years. Won't give him another one for his last year of eligibility. 

The "will not renew" language was needed to allow Finke to get a waiver for a grad transfer as he had already started his masters degree at Illinois. I believe the staff wanted him to stay, but in a reduced role and Finke decided to leave instead. Many expect him to go to Grand Canyon to play with his younger brother who will be a freshman there this fall.

On 3/27/2018 at 7:14 AM, milehiiu said:

According to my Illini friend.... both Finke and Lucas were told that their scholarships will not be renewed.  Finke, in particular sounds contentious.  As talks between he and Underwood, supposedly had been going on for weeks, before he was told that the Illini would not be offering him a scholarship.

Also, Joseph Thompson, once considered a near lock for Underwood, now is a heavy Iowa State lean.  May even be committing to ISU soon.

Crystal Ball indicates many March changes from Illinois to ISU.

Joseph Thompson's Crystal Ball Predictions

Thompson is a football recruit.

I'd expect one more transfer out. Hopefully some more bodies are added soon, going to be tough to get through the Big Ten with only 9 scholarship players. Most likely is Tevian Jones, a 6'6" wing from CA. Trying to get Cortney Ramey out of St Louis, but that's one of those odd recruitments that seems unlikely to pan out. Hoping for a grad xfer big man, too.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:07 PM, milehiiu said:

Oops. My bad Bruce ^^  Who was I thinking of ?

Maybe you're thinking of Talen Horton-Tucker? He ended up going to Iowa St, that happened quite a while ago. Couple other Chicago kids also in their recruiting class, not sure they were priorities for Illinois, though.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting follow up. Former Mr. Illinois Mark Smith is headed to Missouri. Illini fans have about 4-5 rivals but Missouri is one of them. 

When asked to comment about the transfer, and playing for Cuonzo Martin, Anthony Smith, Mark's father, had this to say :..... "treatment of Mark as a player and a young man, ia huge to our family."

Mark Smith: Illinois transfer commits to Missouri 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Depends on who you ask and the age of the fan. Some say Missouri, some say IU, some say Iowa...shoot even Northwestern/Wisconsin makes an appearance. 

I say Mizzou and Northwestern........and that is it.  And Mizzou is a stretch.

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Growing up near the area...it was Illinois and Iowa only. Especially after the Bruce Pearl incident. Now it's a different answer depending on who you ask, where they live and their age. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, milehiiu said:

When asked to comment about the transfer, and playing for Cuonzo Martin, Anthony Smith, Mark's father, had this to say :..... "treatment of Mark as a player and a young man, ia huge to our family."

Mark Smith: Illinois transfer commits to Missouri 

Dad's a real piece of work. He and mom stopped attending Illini games in December, weren't even at the Mizzou game in St Louis. Way to support your kid. Apparently unhappy that Mark wasn't given the keys to the team, even though he started the first 17 games and just wasn't very good. I think he has some potential, but he's not a point guard. Would probably be better off at a lower level program, so I'm fine with Mizzou taking him. 

On 4/15/2018 at 9:56 AM, rico said:

Yes, Illinois doesn't really have a true rival. Mizzou is, but a very limited one. NW is kind of a rival, but neither team has been good at the same time in either of the main revenue sports. And there's never been a really big, meaningful game played between the two.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:57 AM, rico said:

That may be......but it ain't one of those "must see" games to watch.  JMHO

It used to be, not so much recently. Still it's a pretty unique game, a rare thing where the arena crowd is split 50/50 between the fans. Was a very good game for much of the 80s, 90s and into the 2000s. Recently Illinois has been mediocre and Mizzou just bad.

Respect a poster from another fan base who comes here and joins in respectful conversation.

That said, sorta lost me with the statement "Mizzou is a lower level program " as compared to the basketball power that is the Illini

O.o

• 2 weeks later...

Archived