The tip of the iceburg for Underwood ?

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I often equate his termination with the end of Coach Mallory tenure. Brought them success but a university and more importantly fans wanted better. Be careful what you wish for when thinking it's time to part ways with a coach. 

Iowa and the good Dr Tom Davis. He had Iowa in the dance consistently, but they wanted more.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what turns out to be a thread of which Illini player has left the program this week....new player Kane has left the program for the summer. Calling it a transcript issue. Potentially returning in August. I don't think I remember this number of departures, transfers,etc....for a team that has all the playing time in the world to offer. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

In what turns out to be a thread of which Illini player has left the program this week....new player Kane has left the program for the summer. Calling it a transcript issue. Potentially returning in August. I don't think I remember this number of departures, transfers,etc....for a team that has all the playing time in the world to offer. 

Thanks for the "intel".  And yes, the hits for the Illini keep on coming. 

After reading your post, I have done some checking.  Seems Kane arrived on campus in May, in order to do some "catch up" classes.  But for some reason was not able to enroll.

To be fair, prior to his Freshman season, De'Ron Davis came in late, having to complete some core courses first. 

We saw what happened with De'Ron.  It will be interesting to see what happens with Kane... or if he even returns to campus at all.

One more thing. Crean took over a team with hardly anything in the cupboard.  Remember.... he had two from the baseball team fill in, and even suited up a manager (Santa) late in the season to actually play in games.

The way things are going for Underwood.... he may have to do the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Tore his ACL in March. He'll be 24 this October. At this point this seems to be the best former Calipari recruiting genius Orlando Antigua can do. At this point...I'll wait another weeks. Underwood will give us another situation where someone has left and he's brought in some big from parts unknown. Comical across the board.

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Tore his ACL in March. He'll be 24 this October. At this point this seems to be the best former Calipari recruiting genius Orlando Antigua can do. At this point...I'll wait another weeks. Underwood will give us another situation where someone has left and he's brought in some big from parts unknown. Comical across the board.

Sounds like desperate men taking desperate measures.  Truly a roll of the dice on Underwood's part as far as I am concerned.  De'Ron Davis has an ACL injury at the start of January of this year. And many of us are concerned when or whether he will even return for this year.  De La Rosa suffers an ACL in late March of this year, and the Illini are expecting him to be available by November ?  Either pushing it, or his injury was not as serious as De'Ron's.

Should De La Rosa return... looks to be like a good addition, considering the current state of the Illinois roster. However, just as with De'Ron, there will be a question, and rightfully so, as to how effective he can be coming off an injury like that.

750x422

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sounds like desperate men taking desperate measures.  Truly a roll of the dice on Underwood's part as far as I am concerned.  De'Ron Davis has an ACL injury at the start of January of this year. And many of us are concerned when or whether he will even return for this year.  De La Rosa suffers an ACL in late March of this year, and the Illini are expecting him to be available by November ?  Either pushing it, or his injury was not as serious as De'Ron's.

Should De La Rosa return... looks to be like a good addition, considering the current state of the Illinois roster. However, just as with De'Ron, there will be a question, and rightfully so, as to how effective he can be coming off an injury like that.

750x422

I did have to laugh. An Illini fan asked if Underwood now has more commits than Lovie Smith over the last year.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I did have to laugh. An Illini fan asked if Underwood now has more commits than Lovie Smith over the last year.

Wouldn't it be funny if De La Rosa were not able to physically return to action this coming season, and the option of a medical redshirt became available  ? Just like what we have talked about here in terms of De'Ron Davis. 

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Wouldn't it be funny if De La Rosa were not able to physically return to action this coming season, and the option of a medical redshirt became available  ? Just like what we have talked about here in terms of De'Ron Davis. 

Good point. Making exceptions for Davis I get. He's shown his flashes. IF this Illini commit isn't cleared? Does he transfer again? I don't recall many 25 year old college players unless Chris Weinke (FSU) counts.

8 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Good point. Making exceptions for Davis I get. He's shown his flashes. IF this Illini commit isn't cleared? Does he transfer again? I don't recall many 25 year old college players unless Chris Weinke (FSU) counts.

The correlation between De'Ron Davis and De La Rosa in terms of a medical redshirt and their ages, is also something to consider.  Both are getting along in age, in terms of college basketball.

I could see Underwood forcing the issue, in terms of bringing De La Rosa back too early, because of his age.

And have stated I would not want Archie to bring De'Ron back if he is not ready.

33 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

750x422

De'ron did not have an ACL injury but he tore his Achilles which takes longer to recover from..

Would not find humor in any kid, regardless of the school he played for, having to miss a season due to injury. 

I get that Illinois is an easy target and that their fan base has acted poorly in the past towards IU. We shouldn't stoop to those levels, inviting as it might seem.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

De'ron did not have an ACL injury but he tore his Achilles which takes longer to recover from..

Ahh, so there is a difference.  Kind of what I was thinking. But was not sure.  Thanks for clearing that up for me. 

I feel the same way.  I took a job at the U of I in 1994 and retired from the university in 2014.  Being a two time IU alum, and a diehard Hoosier BB fan, got me a lot of grief from my colleagues and friends.  After 20 years  of mediocre IU teams and coaches, I received my share of verbal abuse from Illini fans.  I kind of enjoy the fact that their BB teams are now struggling.  Go Hoosiers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2018 at 9:10 AM, milehiiu said:

Not sure I see the humor in that situation. But if you want an actual example, Illinois just went through that recently with Mike Thorne Jr who tore his meniscus vs Iowa St early into what was supposed to be his 1 season with Illinois. He ended up getting a 6th season but wasn't too effective and didn't really play much of a role.

Doubt De La Rosa has much of an impact either, but if nothing else he'll be a big man to go against in practices.

24 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Not sure I see the humor in that situation. But if you want an actual example, Illinois just went through that recently with Mike Thorne Jr who tore his meniscus vs Iowa St early into what was supposed to be his 1 season with Illinois. He ended up getting a 6th season but wasn't too effective and didn't really play much of a role.

Doubt De La Rosa has much of an impact either, but if nothing else he'll be a big man to go against in practices.

My use of the word funny, was not meant to be humorous.  Rather,  odd, strange, interesting, or words to that effect.

Practice man, or more.  One thing De La Rosa can provide is height.  Granted.... that is something.  Still, I consider it a desperate sign this close to the season start.... with a man fresh off a concerning injury. And, that, my friend is the predicament that your coach has put you in.  At least, when Crean took over from Sampson, with just one scholarship player, it was not of his (Crean's) making.  Or take a look at the late addition Miller made to his squad.  A guy that "Fitz" in and is a deadly shooter.  Only question there, is how much PT time he will get, hearing that De'Ron Davis' time will be limited....at least at the season's start.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, milehiiu said:

My use of the word funny, was not meant to be humorous.  Rather,  odd, strange, interesting, or words to that effect.

Practice man, or more.  One thing De La Rosa can provide is height.  Granted.... that is something.  Still, I consider it a desperate sign this close to the season start.... with a man fresh off a concerning injury. And, that, my friend is the predicament that your coach has put you in.  At least, when Crean took over from Sampson, with just one scholarship player, it was not of his (Crean's) making.  Or take a look at the late addition Miller made to his squad.  A guy that "Fitz" in and is a deadly shooter.  Only question there, is how much PT time he will get, hearing that De'Ron Davis' time will be limited....at least at the season's start.

The scholarship was going to go unused otherwise and since he's a grad transfer, it doesn't impact future recruiting. I don't really see that as "desperation", if he doesn't pan out then they're not any worse off.

Missing out on some other big man recruits, plus Groce not leaving much other than Tilmon, who didn't want to be at Illinois anyway...that's the problem, not adding De La Rosa. 

And yes, he's only going to be cleared to practice this fall so unlikely he contributes much until 2019 games.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:07 AM, Seeking6 said:

Saw this morning that Depaul is now beating out Underwood and Illinois for recruits. 4 star kid out of Chicago Terrence Shannon chose the Blue Demons last night. 

And only 6 days later the kid backs out from Depaul and opens things back up again. Chicago recruiting...haha. Someone got to someone. 

Archived