The tip of the iceburg for Underwood ?

38 minutes ago, rico said:

I would be curious as to exactly how many Indiana kids went to Illinois?  I actually can  only think of one and he wasn't there long.  Scott Haffner.

I don't really remember anyone else. If Bubbles played his cards right he would have had E'Twaun Moore but he was all in on Gordon even though the entire world knew Gordon wasn't coming. 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't really remember anyone else. If Bubbles played his cards right he would have had E'Twaun Moore but he was all in on Gordon even though the entire world knew Gordon wasn't coming. 

Yeah, I can't think of any others in my lifetime.  But Haffner was a stud.  Illinois got him, but didn't play him.  Evansville did!!!!!

Jalen Coleman Lands was from Indianapolis and played at Illinois within the last couple of years. I remember him having a huge game against us .

I think he left the team

20 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Jalen Coleman Lands was from Indianapolis and played at Illinois within the last couple of years. I remember him having a huge game against us .

I think he left the team

Thanks! Always forget about him. Casualty of the transition...plus his La Lumiere coach or someone close went to Depaul. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/28/2018 at 6:55 PM, FKIM01 said:

He may turn out OK but that seemed to be a really quick hire based on a limited track record as a power 5 head coach. Bruce Weber has a history of starting strong at a new school and them flaming out on the recruiting trail. Just makes me wonder if it was as good a hire as was originally thought.

Oh, I see what you meant, the wording threw me off. Yes, limited P5 track record so it's always an unknown there.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:02 PM, milehiiu said:

Illini fans don't have  anything to hang their hat on, right now.  BB sucked.  And FB was even worse.  Lovie, to me has been a major disappointment. I really expected much more from him.

Hey, we have an elite golf program!

Lovie was brought in for a complete rebuild. His first full recruiting class just played their first season so it's way too early to make any judgement there. This season will probably be another rough one playing a bunch of frosh/soph. The year after is when he needs to start showing some good progress in the W/L area.

But I understand why those who don't follow as closely may have expected more and sooner due to the "name" factor. It's just a huge job and he isn't going for a quick fix like some may have expected.

7 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Oh, I see what you meant, the wording threw me off. Yes, limited P5 track record so it's always an unknown there.

But I understand why those who don't follow as closely may have expected more and sooner due to the "name" factor. It's just a huge job and he isn't going for a quick fix like some may have expected.

Hear ya.  The old saying.  How do eat an elephant ?   One bite at a time.  Lovie did have a tough hand dealt to him.  Time will tell. 

Always good to hear from you BD.  Love your passion for your school. 

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

Lovie was brought in for a complete rebuild. His first full recruiting class just played their first season so it's way too early to make any judgement there. This season will probably be another rough one playing a bunch of frosh/soph. The year after is when he needs to start showing some good progress in the W/L area.

Football is a different beast. When he was hired I said let's cool the jets on bowl talk by year 3. I think most fans are realizing how big of a rebuild exists over there. I will say this. If he doesn't offer some glimmer of hope this season (year 3) the recruiting talk will be he won't be around by year 7 (kids he's recruiting now anticipated graduation date). Makes the job even tougher. 

I'm a Lovie fan (Bears fan). I don't think he realized how big of a rebuild was in order there.

11 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Another one is leaving - Greg Eboigbodin - they were already weak in the front court, this makes it worse.

Said yes in June last year and adios a year later. For those counting at home. Underwood has lost 3 of the first 5 guys he signed in 1 year. 4 total transfers this off season.

Needless to say...whatever he's selling isn't taking so far. Morgan could have 40 against them if we want. That's how thin they will be on the block. 

And a buddy told me today that their AD is holding a press conference on Monday to discuss some things about hoops programs...namely that they lack resources. The whole state is in financial trouble and ultimately it causes problems with universities that rely on public $....but with $50M going to each school from the conference/tv/bowls,etc....how can they cite poorhouse?

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And a buddy told me today that their AD is holding a press conference on Monday to discuss some things about hoops programs...namely that they lack resources. The whole state is in financial trouble and ultimately it causes problems with universities that rely on public $....but with $50M going to each school from the conference/tv/bowls,etc....how can they cite poorhouse?

Kind of teaches coaches not to jump at every new job to come along.  It would have been better for him to stay at Oklahoma St and build that program than going to UI.

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Kind of teaches coaches not to jump at every new job to come along.  It would have been better for him to stay at Oklahoma St and build that program than going to UI.

He's said that Illinois is his dream job given connections to area. Plus..I think there was more to it at Ok St (assistant coach in FBI probe). Either way not a good first year for Underwood. Next year actually looks worse.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Said yes in June last year and adios a year later. For those counting at home. Underwood has lost 3 of the first 5 guys he signed in 1 year. 4 total transfers this off season.

Needless to say...whatever he's selling isn't taking so far. Morgan could have 40 against them if we want. That's how thin they will be on the block. 

Wow...that's poor.  I understand losing Groce's recruits but he's losing most of his own.

13 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They should have kept Weber.

I often equate his termination with the end of Coach Mallory tenure. Brought them success but a university and more importantly fans wanted better. Be careful what you wish for when thinking it's time to part ways with a coach. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I often equate his termination with the end of Coach Mallory tenure. Brought them success but a university and more importantly fans wanted better. Be careful what you wish for when thinking it's time to part ways with a coach. 

It happens all the time.  

28 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Same thing that happened to the Bears with Lovie, ironically.

19 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Same thing that happened to the Bears with Lovie, ironically.

Yep. Know it all so well. Tough one to decide which way to go. We missed playoffs 5 of 6 years before dismissal but year before his firing Bears were 7-1 before Cutler thumb injury. Fired after 10 win season in 2012. 6 seasons later and we still haven't sniffed the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Know it all so well. Tough one to decide which way to go. We missed playoffs 5 of 6 years before dismissal but year before his firing Bears were 7-1 before Cutler thumb injury. Fired after 10 win season in 2012. 6 seasons later and we still haven't sniffed the playoffs.

Most definitely have not hired a coach that was an improvement on Lovie since then.  Here’s hoping Nagy is.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Most definitely have not hired a coach that was an improvement on Lovie since then.  Here’s hoping Nagy is.

I have hope but will call it very cautious hope. The Bears have worn me so far into the ground with hires, moves, decisions, stadium issues...everything. Feel like Joan Jett is my anthem with them...Hate Myself for Loving You.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I have hope but will call it very cautious hope. The Bears have worn me so far into the ground with hires, moves, decisions, stadium issues...everything. Feel like Joan Jett is my anthem with them...Hate Myself for Loving You.

I used to be a passionate Bears fan. Followed the team closely, went to mini camp, etc. Now I'm apathetic. Will watch (most of their) games but thats about it.

Archived