Kent Benson appears !

I recall years ago, when he appeared at most every IU game.  Then.... we saw him at Purdue games instead, wearing PU gear, and dating a PU grad. Even though his daughter was a star volleyball player at IU ( man, she was good ).K4VBDZn2I4AJQSopljdKnm8trS81BElndvbdDIo8

Benson speaks at OCU, proud of role on IU 1976 title team

Also, who recalls seeing Mellencamp at nearly every IU home game ? With his love at the time.

John Mellencamp Discusses His Passion for Indiana University Basketball 

Two guys were don't see any more.  I hazard to say that Mellencamp has done more for IU than Benson.  Like the old saying... money talks and BS walks.  Anywho... it would be great to see the both of them in AH this upcoming season, as years before.

Great to see Benson in a different light. Time & maturity can remake a man and it sure doesn't appear that Benson is the same guy that tormented a young Larry Bird and elbowed Jabbar in the crotch getting his jaw broken in retaliation.

I can forgive a lot, but I still hold that Purdue/Painter love against him. ¬¬

...and I wish I could love JCM like I used to...as a great singer/musician and IU fan/supporter, but when he chose to insert himself into national partisan politics, I honestly lost a lot of interest in him. Doesn't matter what side they pull for...I still prefer my entertainers to be publicly non-partisan, while recognizing their rights to ignore my preferences.  I wish they would separate their performances from their politics...kinda like we try to keep this sports forum separated from our politics.  It just makes for a more enjoyable interaction for me.

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

...and I wish I could love JCM like I used to...as a great singer/musician and IU fan/supporter, but when he chose to insert himself into national partisan politics, I honestly lost a lot of interest in him. Doesn't matter what side they pull for...I still prefer my entertainers to be publicly non-partisan, while recognizing their rights to ignore my preferences.  I wish they would separate their performances from their politics...kinda like we try to keep this sports forum separated from our politics.  It just makes for a more enjoyable interaction for me.

A lot to be said there.  And the reason why.... I no longer watch award shows, such as the Oscars, the other night.  Those shows used to be fun. And I used to never miss them.  Now you know what to expect.... and that is not what I turn them on for.  So.... I no longer turn them on.  They aren't even funny, any longer.  At least to me they aren't. 

I do get what you are saying. 

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Mellencamp was ALWAYS outwardly political on stage and in his songs, especially offering his voice towards the forgotten one's, whether that be farmers or minorities.  This isn't something that just happened, but the difference is that everyone so black and white in their political beliefs, we now shut ideas or people out that don't share the same views.  It is really a shame. 

50 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Mellencamp was ALWAYS outwardly political on stage and in his songs, especially offering his voice towards the forgotten one's, whether that be farmers or minorities.  This isn't something that just happened, but the difference is that everyone so black and white in their political beliefs, we now shut ideas or people out that don't share the same views.  It is really a shame. 

Agreed, we don't just shut them out we label them.

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

I get that. I remember Rain on the Scarecrow, Little Pink Houses, etc.  I don't mind some of that in the music and it was great stuff.  Farm Aid was a good thing as well.  I just got turned off when JCM started openly campaigning for certain candidates and against others. He went way beyond singing for a cause (which was fine with me) and I just turned the page when he decided that singing and entertaining wasn't enough.  His right, I know, but I just lost interest in him at that point.

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I get that. I remember Rain on the Scarecrow, Little Pink Houses, etc.  I don't mind some of that in the music and it was great stuff.  Farm Aid was a good thing as well.  I just got turned off when JCM started openly campaigning for certain candidates and against others. He went way beyond singing for a cause (which was fine with me) and I just turned the page when he decided that singing and entertaining wasn't enough.  His right, I know, but I just lost interest in him at that point.

Yes, that started it for me too but what finished it off was when he started trashing his earlier work(which was actually good) and getting angry when someone asked him about it instead of his newer work(which wasn't at all good). This was around the same time he started becoming more overtly political.  It seems he got caught up in himself and became more and more strident the less people listened to him and his music. When I go to a concert I go to hear the artist perform and perform their best work, not to hear their political opinions and tell me what I should think. 

Also, I have since worked with a couple of people that were employed by JCM for a time in different capacities and neither spoke favorably of the experience. 

Archived