The age of the transfer...

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/tubby-smith-memphis-ncaa-basketball-college-transfer-teach-players-how-to-quit/1is6to09rqn2t12grz5tsk2cv7

Mile used the phrase in my title while posting in another thread, and it reminded me of this rant by our old friend Tubby, made over the weekend.

While I agree with the message, the messenger is the wrong guy. How many programs has Tubby coached in the last 15 years? According to my count, he has been a head coach for 6 different programs since 1991, and 3 in the last 5 years.

So Tubby, who is teaching these kids, by example, to stay loyal to their commitments? Not you.

4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/tubby-smith-memphis-ncaa-basketball-college-transfer-teach-players-how-to-quit/1is6to09rqn2t12grz5tsk2cv7

Mile used the phrase in my title while posting in another thread, and it reminded me of this rant by our old friend Tubby, made over the weekend.

While I agree with the message, the messenger is the wrong guy. How many programs has Tubby coached in the last 15 years? According to my count, he has been a head coach for 6 different programs since 1991, and 3 in the last 5 years.

So Tubby, who is teaching these kids, by example, to stay loyal to their commitments? Not you.

I just heard him on Golic and Wingo and he did not help his cause.

For me the biggest issue would be say we play Indiana State and they have a guard that is killing us what's to keep CAM from saying to him get we have no guards for next year you could start for me.  I think this would be very hard to police.  

I think if a coach leaves a program the players should be able to transfer without sitting out. Beyond that, I kind of agree with Tubby, but the issue is many times when coaches go on this rant they're explaining it wrong. As a former college basketball player, I'm all for what is best for the athlete, but what I think Tubby is trying to say is that most times what is best for the athlete is to stick it out and overcome whatever obstacle is making you think you want to transfer. 

There are life lessons in continuing to work, persevere and turn a situation you're not completely happy with into one that you end up thriving in. This doesn't apply to everyone that transfers, but I think it does to most. 

I saw a partial video of the guard from UNC's (can't remember his name, their starting pg the last 3 years) senior night speech, and he told a story about how he didn't play much his freshmen year and how he called his parents and was blaming Roy Williams and the UNC staff for him not playing. His parents asked him what he had done to make the staff trust him and if he had looked at his own performance in practice and games, and what he had done to give the staff a reason to play him. The kid said it was a life changing moment for him, and from that moment on he looked inward in what he could do better to improve the situation. 

I didn't hear what Tubby said on Golic and Wingo, but I think that is point coaches are trying to get across when they talk on this, they just typically do a poor job of expressing it. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think if a coach leaves a program the players should be able to transfer without sitting out. Beyond that, I kind of agree with Tubby, but the issue is many times when coaches go on this rant they're explaining it wrong. As a former college basketball player, I'm all for what is best for the athlete, but what I think Tubby is trying to say is that most times what is best for the athlete is to stick it out and overcome whatever obstacle is making you think you want to transfer. 

There are life lessons in continuing to work, persevere and turn a situation you're not completely happy with into one that you end up thriving in. This doesn't apply to everyone that transfers, but I think it does to most. 

I saw a partial video of the guard from UNC's (can't remember his name, their starting pg the last 3 years) senior night speech, and he told a story about how he didn't play much his freshmen year and how he called his parents and was blaming Roy Williams and the UNC staff for him not playing. His parents asked him what he had done to make the staff trust him and if he had looked at his own performance in practice and games, and what he had done to give the staff a reason to play him. The kid said it was a life changing moment for him, and from that moment on he looked inward in what he could do better to improve the situation. 

I didn't hear what Tubby said on Golic and Wingo, but I think that is point coaches are trying to get across when they talk on this, they just typically do a poor job of expressing it. 

It seems to be common in this day.  People ( not everyone, but too many ) see the problem with the one that is critical and never once look within to see if the criticism has merit.  If there is an ounce of merit in a pound of criticism, there is room for improvement and growth.

Tubby has no right to speak on the subject.  He is a "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" guy.  He also thinks he is old school, which he is not.

Now to the actual subject matter.  Kids today think they are all destined to play in the NBA.  Right, wrong, or indifferent that is what they think.  They ain't going to a school to sit on the bench.......it is their mind set.

21 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Well, in Tubby's defense a couple of those program changes weren't entirely voluntary. B|

Archived