18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

I know that we still have an entire month of college basketball left, but... this thread was going to happen sooner or later, so here goes.. assuming that everything plays out like we hope!

1. Green/Phinisee/Durham

2. Romeo/Anderson/McRoberts

3. Smith/Hunter

4. Morgan/Thompson

5. Davis/Moore

Forester and whoever fills the remaining scholarship may or may not contribute, but I feel like that’s a decent squad. Obviously there’s lots left to determine, so I’m certainly not set here. I know that McRoberts and Thompson will both carve out a nice roll, as will Phinisee and Anderson. So this is completely premature, but fun to think about!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not seeing it that way at all. McRoberts is going to be a key player next year. Can't imagine we see much two guard/three forward lineups either. Think we only saw that a couple times all year and that was with a worse, less deep backcourt. I think we moslty see three guard lineups again next year. 

Green

Romeo

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

RP

Al

Hunter

Davis

Thompson

Are we talking about the beginning of the year or by the end of the year?  I say that because I think those will be two different line ups. 

To start the year I will go like this

Green - The thought of him being our pg makes me nervous, but I think he starts the year and either Phinisee pushes him to be more cocnsisten or replaces him. 

Romeo - assuming we get him. If not maybe we see a Green/Phinisee backcourt or maybe McRoberts by virtue of experience. Maybe Al gets a shot in that case  

Morgan - ‘nuff said

Smith - We talk a lot about that Fr to So jump on these boards. I’d love to see a big one from him. I’m biased here because I think he will be really good. 

I know most people will go Davis here and I probably should too. Are we sure he is going to be ready to start the season?  I’m really tempted to go off the wall and say Race here. I know that wouldn’t give us a true center, but that would be 3 6’9”ish guys who could do a number of things. 

A grad transfer could change all of this. 

I’m really interested to see how many pages this thread gets to in what is going to be a long off season. 

Here’s my lineup if we get Romeo:

PG - Phinisee

SG - Romeo

SF - Hunter

PF - Morgan

C - Davis

Here’s my lineup if we don’t get Romeo:

PG - Phinisee

SG - Hunter

SF - McBob

PF - Morgan

C - Davis

IMO, Hunter will start from the beginning, one way or another.  He’s really good and athletic, and he brings something we sorely lacked this year (scoring).  I like Green’s potential, but I think Phinisee is more of a no flash/make the right play kind of PG that we need and will earn the starting job.  Plus he can score the ball and make plays for others.

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Why do so many seem to assume Davis is starting and we are going to play big next season? Anything can happen but I'm just not seeing the evidence for us going big. 

Completely agree on Davis. Part of it is the injury, but I also think he’s just a bad fit for Archie’s defense. This system isn’t really set up for plodding, non-mobile big men. It’s not that I don’t like him, though I wasn’t as high as him coming into the season as others, but I also don’t think it’s an accident that the defense improved when he went out. 

I could see Davis starting(if healthy) to begin. I say this because his size was sorely missed when he got injured, and let’s be honest, if he could hit his free throws at a better clip, we want him in there as much as possible. Archie hinted towards this after the Purdue game, when he said that we missed Davis’s presence underneath and gave Juwan credit for moving him away from his natural position at the 4. 

Justin Smith has star potential and can shoot. All he was missing this season was some consistent playing time, which some freshman struggles warranted a lesser role.

1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

I could see Davis starting(if healthy) to begin. I say this because his size was sorely missed when he got injured, and let’s be honest, if he could hit his free throws at a better clip, we want him in there as much as possible. Archie hinted towards this after the Purdue game, when he said that we missed Davis’s presence underneath and gave Juwan credit for moving him away from his natural position at the 4. 

Justin Smith has star potential and can shoot. All he was missing this season was some consistent playing time, which some freshman struggles warranted a lesser role.

We sorely missed his size? When? 

Obviously nothing was perfect on a 16-15 team but our interior play and defense seemed to be our two biggest strengths. 

I don't question Davis's heart or character but much more athletic men have come back a shell of themselves after this injury.  I hope he comes back a machine but don't expect him to fully recover and show it on the court until into 2019.  

As far as our defense improving after he left, I'm not convinced it wasn't more the team buying into the philosophy and making much better decisions with help side, clogging lanes, and really becoming ball stoppers.  I will say when Davis was in, guys were getting to the lane fairly easy, I think, because our guards were letting their man easily blow by them.   Anyways.  I hope he comes back better.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Why do so many seem to assume Davis is starting and we are going to play big next season? Anything can happen but I'm just not seeing the evidence for us going big. 

I think Davis is going to have every opportunity to start...assuming he recovers well from his injury. Of course Juwan can defend the 5, but that's an exhausting task and will continually leave us vulnerable inside. Not that DD is super-protective of the rim, but he's a big boy.

I do agree with you, in that he may not be a part of our best lineup...but, I do think he starts because he allows our other guys to play their natural position. Luckily we have a coach where the starting lineup doesn't matter. The players playing well, play.

33 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Thanks for that DJ! :)

I think the "starting" part is a bit misleading. I see it spoken about a lot but technically, all that matters is who is in at the end of the game. Right? 

For Indiana, like every other D1 team, there's a host of factors at play which would take a long time to list. 

All of that said, I think a lineup of: Phinisee, Langford, Hunter, Smith, Morgan would be pretty damn solid, even if it is young. 

Completely agree. I wasn’t stating that Davis was going to be part of our most productive lineup, because matchups often indicate what is or isn’t a successful lineup. There will be several games where having Davis on the block will be beneficial. Then some where we have to play small ball. There will be plenty of opportunities for Davis and I’m rooting for the kid to fully recover and take that next step. I also know that him coming back next year 100% will be tough. However, I like the makeup of this group, with or without Romeo... but let’s be honest, we can contend at the top of the B1G next year with him!

54 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not a fit defensively ?  Need I remind all of you that De'Ron set the all time Colorado school boy record for blocked shots ?  And it was not even close. 

I like Davis and think that he can be a difference maker on both ends. I’d love to see him improve his lateral quickness because I ultimately believe that’s one area that he could really improve upon. I feel like he got himself into foul trouble for this reason. I’d also like to see him improve his foul shooting, like everyone else, but that pretty much goes for our entire team. I think that a healthy De’Ron logs 20+ minutes a night for our boys. 

I am admittedly very old school and a little out of touch with the modern game.  with that said, Morgan is not a "center" to me.  i get "Archie's system" being tough on Davis, but this board was predicting off the chart things from DD coming into this season.  it was disappointing, but i can't imagine him not getting a shot next year.  if Romeo is here, it seems very likely to have Romeo, Morgan, and Davis starting.  who is at point?  Phinessee or Green?  seems Smith has a great chance to start.  will Durham compete with the other two guards?  is Hunter really that good?  i have no idea, but didn't think he would beat out Smith next season.  i have heard mumblings about Forrester as well.  just figured that wasn't very likely as a freshman either?

I think we will see a lot of different lineups throughout the year and throughout the games. With the exception of 3-4 players, most of the team will be able to play at multiple positions effectively at least for short stretches. We have three, possibly 4,  long, athletic forwards that should be a matchup nightmare for most teams in whatever combination. We have a very good true PG coming in, 2-3 veteran guards that get after it defensively and bring different facets to the game, and freshman who is a rugged shooter/scorer. In the post we have a banger that can score, an athletic freshman with a high motor, and more athletic Max Bielfeldt clone that has been noted for his post defense. That is a pretty good team even without Rome but add Romeo to all of the above and that is a very good team. 

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not a fit defensively ?  Need I remind all of you that De'Ron set the all time Colorado school boy record for blocked shots ?  And it was not even close. 

Key word there is “school boy”. How many shots he blocked against high school kids has very little to do with how well he can blitz/hedge on the perimeter against Big Ten point guards 25ft from the basket without fouling and then quickly recover to his man in the paint in the proper position and in time for whoever was helping to recover as well. 

IMO there’s no doubt that IU’s defensive rotations improved fairly significantly after Davis was out. Sure, maybe some of that was just adjusting to the system, but I also think some was due to a slow, plodding big not being in there. 

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I love De'Ron as much as the next person, but he was horrendous pre-injury this year on defense. While many of our 3pt defense woes were just learning the system, much of the problem was Davis not being able to rotate back to his own man quick enough, leaving the wing defender to stay on Davis' man way too long. Thus, leaving the wing/perimeter players wide open.

I hate to say it, but De'Ron will strictly be used in matchup situations.... Against Haas/Haarms and other bigger, less mobile guys.

Archived