18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Smith isn’t a three in Archie’s system.

I think he will play there when we go big. He can slash and get to the rim, which is a 3 in Archie’s system. Ideally we have a shooter there, Hunter or Romeo. 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KoB2011 said:

So say he doubles that, and he is taking 2 a game and making about 1. That's enough to keep teams honest. 

Smith is a 4 in our system; it's the only place he played at all last year. 

1 made basket a game improvement is still not good enough to start. Sorry, I will not agree on this point. Romeo, like Robert Johnson last year, will need help scoring and 1 made 3 a game isn’t the answer. 

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I think he will play there when we go big. He can slash and get to the rim, which is a 3 in Archie’s system. Ideally we have a shooter there, Hunter or Romeo. 

But he’s really not.  He didn’t play at the three a single time all last season.  It was always three guard lineups.  From what we’ve seen, Archie will play three guys that can handle the ball at all times, and that’s not Smith’s game.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

I guess it's possible, but we've never seen Archie indicate he would do that even last season when we could have easily gone Smith, Morgan and Davis/McSwain to keep the alleged scrub McRoberts off the court. Do teams even really go big anymore? 

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

But he’s really not.  He didn’t play at the three a single time all last season.  It was always three guard lineups.  From what we’ve seen, Archie will play three guys that can handle the ball at all times, and that’s not Smith’s game.

"guards" .... =ball handlers... yes agreed. 3 at all times. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess it's possible, but we've never seen Archie indicate he would do that even last season when we could have easily gone Smith, Morgan and Davis/McSwain to keep the alleged scrub McRoberts off the court. Do teams even really go big anymore? 

We're so on the same page

4 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I'm going to spin this a little differently.  While I don't think this will be the starting five come game one, I think this will be our best lineup by the end of next year.

PG - RP

SG - Romeo

SF - Hunter

PF - Smith

C - Morgan

i was looking at something similar.  just kind of wondering what the most talented 5 regardless of position would be.  possibly your lineup or dropping Phinessee for Green?  talented lineup.  small though.  i have never seen Anderson or Forrester.  what are thoughts on either of them having a role as freshmen?   my son keeps telling me Forrester is underrated.   

36 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

That's what I have been wondering.  I have no idea how Race has been improving.  I am hoping for good things from him.

Cohete had this to say in another thread-

49 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

I agree with you. But I'll propose this.....

Maybe Archie knows something we don't. Maybe he's gotten an "all-in" commitment from Devonte...he has gotten rave reviews about his spring workouts. Durham, Race and DG have been the standouts this spring. I think if we saw big jumps from Devonte and Al, no one would be surprised.

I say this, 1, because DG and AD have been 2 of the top 3 standouts in the spring, and 2, because I feel if Archie thought we were in trouble at guard, then he would have been a little more hot on some grad transfers or JUCOs...but seemingly, he wasn't. Don't think he even offered one.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"guards" .... =ball handlers... yes agreed. 3 at all times. 

Seems like there will be two groups: guards/wings playing at the 1-3, and bigs playing at the 4 and 5.

Group 1: McBob, Green, Durham, Langford, Phinisee, Hunter, Anderson

Group 2: Morgan, Davis, Smith, Moore, Thompson, Forrester

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seems like there will be two groups: guards/wings playing at the 1-3, and bigs playing at the 4 and 5.

This. There will be 3 from Group 1 and 2 from Group 2 on the floor 99% of the time if last season is any indicator. 

9 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was looking at something similar.  just kind of wondering what the most talented 5 regardless of position would be.  possibly your lineup or dropping Phinessee for Green?  talented lineup.  small though.  i have never seen Anderson or Forrester.  what are thoughts on either of them having a role as freshmen?   my son keeps telling me Forrester is underrated.   

I wouldn't call it small, everyone except RP is 6'6 or better and a plus athlete. My concern would be having three freshmen and a sophomore. 

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I'm about to make some people really mad that love these big lineups in the offseason... but there is a chance we could see a lineup of McRoberts at the "4" and Morgan at the "5". If someone has a talented guy 6'6-6'7 playing the 4 and Smith is in foul trouble, could absolutely happen. 

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Nobody is calling McRoberts a scrub. I actually think he brings a lot to the table. All I’m saying is you don’t start him over Romeo, Hunter, and Smith. He brings good glue guy type qualities and makes winning plays. But for IU basketball to be a top 15 team, which I think we can, we need to have better talent than McRoberts starting on a nightly basis. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm about to make some people really mad that love these big lineups in the offseason... but there is a chance we could see a lineup of McRoberts at the "4" and Morgan at the "5". If someone has a talented guy 6'6-6'7 playing the 4 and Smith is in foul trouble, could absolutely happen. 

Absolutely could happen. I wouldn’t be mad seeing lineups like that in the right circumstance. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Eh, I’m not so sure about that. We will have so much depth at the forward spots next year that I’d be surprised to see him on the floor without two bigs.  Can’t remember it happening last year even with much less forward depth.  But with that said, like we saw last year, he will definitely be guarding some of the best bigs on the other team at times regardless.

I’ll preface with this. We are going to play around Romeo and Juwan, so who Best compliments those 2?

I think McBob will start and give Romeo a bit more freedom on defense (and room to make a freshman mistakes.) I think McBob will average more points than we expect and it will come purely from garbage baskets and shots he’ll take because nobody is within 10 feet of him. 

I am on record for being skeptical of RP’s ‘readiness’. But if you listened to the interview with Romeos dad, he only talked about RP and how he wanted Romeo to play with a true PG. That says a lot about Archie’s expectation for RP

im going with:

RP

Romeo

McBob

Smith

Juwan

14 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Nobody is calling McRoberts a scrub. I actually think he brings a lot to the table. All I’m saying is you don’t start him over Romeo, Hunter, and Smith. He brings good glue guy type qualities and makes winning plays. But for IU basketball to be a top 15 team, which I think we can, we need to have better talent than McRoberts starting on a nightly basis. 

For one, he's a fifth-year senior and you are talking about two freshmen and a sophomore.

For two, one of the guys you're pushing for doesn't play the position we are discussing and other than hopes and prayers, we have no reason to think he will.

For three, McRoberts is at this point the best defender of that group. Basketball is roughly 50% defense.

For four, McRoberts may very well be the best spot up three point shooter of that group. 

For five, many, many championship teams have a glue guy who starts and bring a more talented scorer off the bench. It's all about how guys compliment each other. McRobets is the perfect yin to Romeo's yang. 

Some of the lineups people are throwing out are SO young. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

If he was such a great shooter why didn’t he shoot more? Scoring was needed badly last season. Great he shot 39% from 3, but only averaged 2.3 points a game. So he made less than 1 three pointer a game. That is lack of talent. That is the type of talent other teams leave open to double down on the real offensive threats.

McRoberts will play the 3/SF/Wing position. This is where you will see Smith, Hunter, and Romeo at times. I don’t think McRoberts is better than any of those guys. 

Probably lacked confidence early on to shoot just like Dane Fife his first couple of years.

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting McRoberts stat... he had the second highest Offensive Rating in conference play behind Juwan Morgan. 

I'm not going to pretend like I've seen Hunter play and know his game very well, etc., but my opinion is that unless Hunter shows up and from Day 1 looks like he was underranked and can have a McDonald's AA type impact, then I find it very hard to believe that he would supplant McRoberts from the lineup. 

McRoberts does SO many things that impact winning but don't show up in the stat sheet. As has been mentioned, he'll defend the other teams best wing, which means Romeo doesn't have too. He moves the ball quickly on offense, he causes so many extra possessions with his hustle and we'll finally have the scorers to capitalize on that. 

If he can shoot 37+% from 3 on increased volume (because he can't turn down shots like he did last season, that won't work) then he's going to be a great player for this team. 

Archived