18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

McScrub just isn't a shooter.  And to say he is probably the best shooter of the group is ridiculous.  He shot 33 times all year.  33 times and he averaged over 20 minutes a game.  Give me a break.  He is an above average defender, a great glue and energy guy, and one of the best timing rebounders we have.  He gets alot of deflections and steals.  But he is not a shooter.  He is a fifth year senior as you said who passed up wide open shots all year long.  I never advocated he need to be a double digit scorer.  What he needs to do is ensure his guy doesn't hedge or double down on someone every time due to him not being an offensive threat.  Average 8 points and they can't leave you alone.  They have to respect you which opens more for Morgan, smith and Romeo to shoot.

BTW.  Not one person on here called him a scrub or said he didn't deserve to be on the team or didn't bring what is needed to help win a national title.  What was being discussed was whether or not he should start.  And to me, a guy who averages 1.2 points a game at a division one school is not a starter.  If he was the defensive player of the year you might look past it, or even defensive player of the conference, but he wasn't.  He was out best defender who didn't score.  And honestly he played better off the bench in my opinion that he did as a starter last year.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing about McRoberts, players like him are more impactful, not less impactful, on more talented teams. He gets better when more talent surrounds him. 

His skills and traits are going to be way more important on next years team then they were on last years team. As someone said earlier, this is going to be about surrounding Romeo, Morgan and potentially Smith/DG with guys that fit, not necessarily the most talented guys. 

McRoberts is the best defender on the team, which will take a ton of pressure off of Romeo. His passing, ball movement and people movement will create space and help the offense, and he create so many extra possessions with his offensive rebounding, tip-backs, etc. 

IMO, Hunter or RP (if we go small) would have to be absolute studs to get McRoberts out of the lineup. I also don't think Archie is going to want a backcourt of all freshmen. 

My lineup at the beginning would be:

DG

Langford

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

Obviously the wildcards are RP, Hunter and Race. If RP is ready to go from Day 1 then I could see a lineup of RP, Langford, McRoberts, Smith, Morgan or RP, DG, Langford, Smith, Morgan. 

But, the key is spacing and movement. I don't see anyway the lineup is big, as Smith is not a 3 and having him at the 3, Morgan at the 4 and a 5 in there doesn't exploit the mismatches that Smith and Morgan can create, and it clogs the lane for those guys and Langford to operate. Going big is not going to happen IMO. 

Edit: As high as I am on McRoberts with this group, he is going to have to take the open shot this season. I don't want him forcing shots, but he will have to make defenses respect him when he's wide open, more than he did last season. 

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting McRoberts stat... he had the second highest Offensive Rating in conference play behind Juwan Morgan. 

Yikes... You know I’m with you on Team McBob, but I think that says more about the rest of the team than it does about him.

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Interesting McRoberts stat... he had the second highest Offensive Rating in conference play behind Juwan Morgan. 

That’s good stuff. I wasn’t aware of that... McBob has heart, and furthermore, he’s a natural born Hoosier. So, I expect that he’ll be a key recipe to our success next season. The great thing about him is that he’s willing to do whatever and play wherever, in order to be a contributor for the team.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i was looking at something similar.  just kind of wondering what the most talented 5 regardless of position would be.  possibly your lineup or dropping Phinessee for Green?  talented lineup.  small though.  i have never seen Anderson or Forrester.  what are thoughts on either of them having a role as freshmen?   my son keeps telling me Forrester is underrated.   

If Green can put it all together, he will start over a freshman RP, but I'm not sure if that will happen.  He had a great run late last year, only to fall back into bad habits the last couple of games.  I hope he finds that consistency we're all longing for.  In terms of Anderson and Forrester, I think both will get quite a bit of playing time this year.  Anderson brings a dynamic that no one else on the team brings, and that is his outside shooting.  I think that alone will give him plenty of opportunity to find a solid role on this team.  Plus he's 6'6", long and athletic.  Forrester brings a long, very athletic body to the team.  Where people complain about Davis's inability to guard pick and rolls, Forrester is athletic enough to hedge, recover and affect the shot all on the same play.  The kid is 6'9"-6'10", and I think his rebounding and defense will be something that's needed next year. 

Since this is just for fun I like the idea of a unit.

Unit 1- DG,RL,McBob,Smith,JM

Unit 2- RP, Al,Hunter,CM or Race, DD

Unit 1 has experience and will get a majority of the minutes. Unit 2 has a lot of youth but if DD is healthy he could provide a steady outlet and hopefully steady hand on the court and with Al out there we would have a pretty steady hand for a 2nd unit.  Allows for the young guys to get experience while still running with an experienced big that can take over in the post if healthy (Duke game). I would cycle the freshman early in the season to spread experience. I like the mix of talent on this team a lot. I just wish they were all a year older except JM lol

45 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

are Smith and Hunter similar players or no?  

I think that Smith is more of an athletic hybrid forward, while Hunter is a lengthy perimeter guy with the ability to create his own shot. Personally, I think we see them on the court together a lot this year.

Lot of good comments and thoughts but I'm going with the opposite end of the court! Morgan is playing no doubt and it will be hard to keep Romeo off the floor. After that I'm not so sure! We've all watched over the last few years what happens when there is a defensive liability on the floor. I think this is the area where CAM will be deciding his lineups. Look at the end of last year when we were playing our best; CAM had two offensive liabilities starting on an offensively limited team (McRoberts and Freddie) I think especially at the beginning of the season, the team Archie puts on the floor will be the team that understands and executes the defense the best! I have know idea who that will be, but good bet as others have stated McRoberts will be one of them!

I may be repeating someone here but McRobert's needs to model OG and be a full throttle defender that catches his breath in the corner on offense, aside from banging one or two, setting a few vicious screens, and grabbing a few offense rebounds or slashing backdoor for a jam.   

All conference defenders play starters minutes on my team.  

To begin the year, I believe McRoberts starts.  As the season goes on and perhaps his hustle and effort are matched by underclassmen, its possible his starting role changes.  Either way, great discussion and problems to have.  To start the year:

Green

Romeo

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

Seems to be a pretty popular lineup so far.

I just don't understand "McRoberts just isn't a shooter." What quantifies them as a shooter and not a shooter... his release is fairly quick and it absolutely looks good with good rotation. Why can't he be a shooter? Max Bielfeldt(most awkward last name ever to spell) was 11-39 from 3 his first 3 years .... his SR year at IU he went 29-64. McRoberts is currently 23-63 so far in his career.... stop putting a cap on what players can do/improve on. 

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

I just don't understand "McRoberts just isn't a shooter." What quantifies them as a shooter and not a shooter... his release is fairly quick and it absolutely looks good with good rotation. Why can't he be a shooter? Max Bielfeldt(most awkward last name ever to spell) was 11-39 from 3 his first 3 years .... his SR year at IU he went 29-64. McRoberts is currently 23-63 so far in his career.... stop putting a cap on what players can do/improve on. 

I think he can be a very good shooter. I think what you saw last season was his reluctance to shoot- often deferring to his teamates. I think this year he will feel more comfortable with his role and willing to take the open shots.

If, by the end of the year, our starting lineup consists of three freshmen, I think that is a really good sign. Phinisee, Romeo, Hunter, Smith, Morgan. That means RP and Hunter have passed up Green and McBob. To start the year, Green, Romeo, McBob, Smith, Morgan makes the most sense.

Justin Smith and Al Durham got some excellent experience and opportunities last season due to weak roster depth.  It’s been mentioned, but the value of the roster being upgraded is the healthy competition that will result.  The only likely starters one could bank on, I’m guessing, are Morgan, Langford and Smith.  The other two spots may be fought out over the summer and early fall.  

I still feel like several here are discounting the experience and development of Green. When he’s tuned in offensively, he’s very exciting to watch! He’s always been an above average if not great on ball defender. I’m not saying that he’s going to come out and set the world on fire, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did. If Green doesn’t have so many turnovers at the beginning of last year, he starts before conference play comes along. I really think that Archie likes Durham, too. I think Al and Devonte will see plenty of playing time and RP comes into it mid-season. We have athletic guards with length, so I can see us playing around 10 deep. I also think we play a lot faster this year, dictating the pace, as opposed to the opponent. We shall see... fun to talk about!

49 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I still feel like several here are discounting the experience and development of Green. When he’s tuned in offensively, he’s very exciting to watch! He’s always been an above average if not great on ball defender. I’m not saying that he’s going to come out and set the world on fire, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he did. If Green doesn’t have so many turnovers at the beginning of last year, he starts before conference play comes along. I really think that Archie likes Durham, too. I think Al and Devonte will see plenty of playing time and RP comes into it mid-season. We have athletic guards with length, so I can see us playing around 10 deep. I also think we play a lot faster this year, dictating the pace, as opposed to the opponent. We shall see... fun to talk about!

I agree with you on Green. He has to go prove it, but it isn't a tool issue with him it's all between the ears. Some players never figure that out but a lot of guys do as they age; and he had the benefit of stringing together enough games where he did make good decisions to see how that helped his game that I think he will really dig in on that this offseason.

I'd add, too, that being on a somewhat deficient team offensively can make a talented guy force things. Having Romeo, Smith and Juwan around him should make it easier to make good decisions and not force things. 

My two cents: I think McRoberts can start on a very good team, not national championship, but good.  Role players are important, especially ones that throw themselves into their role.  If you have a real offensive scheme, not everyone has to be a star on offense (you need more than we had last year...) 

I remember there was a guy named Sloan on the '88-'89 team and he either started (or just played a lot) and I barely remember him taking shot.  He spent all of his time setting picks on offense.  If this team performs like that '88-'89 team, I will be a little more than satisfied.

20 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with you on Green. He has to go prove it, but it isn't a tool issue with him it's all between the ears. Some players never figure that out but a lot of guys do as they age; and he had the benefit of stringing together enough games where he did make good decisions to see how that helped his game that I think he will really dig in on that this offseason.

I'd add, too, that being on a somewhat deficient team offensively can make a talented guy force things. Having Romeo, Smith and Juwan around him should make it easier to make good decisions and not force things. 

Completely agree. It’s always been a head thing for Green, because the talent is there. I’m excited to see what he can do this coming season!

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Smith starts and is our leading rebounder and third leading scorer.

We will be monsters on the glass if this happens. I expect Morgan, McRoberts and Romeo to be above average rebounders for their position. 

Archived