18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

3 minutes ago, ephul said:

I love De'Ron as much as the next person, but he was horrendous pre-injury this year on defense. While many of our 3pt defense woes were just learning the system, much of the problem was Davis not being able to rotate back to his own man quick enough, leaving the wing defender to stay on Davis' man way too long. Thus, leaving the wing/perimeter players wide open.

I hate to say it, but De'Ron will strictly be used in matchup situations.... Against Haas/Haarms and other bigger, less mobile guys.

Agree. We’ll need him against teams like MSU, OSU, Purdue and teams with more true bigs with size, but against the rest I think he’ll be a liability defensively. Don’t get me wrong, he’ll still play, but it will be more situationally, and it could depend also on how a guy like Forrester or Moore (longer, more athletic bigs). 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, ephul said:

I love De'Ron as much as the next person, but he was horrendous pre-injury this year on defense. While many of our 3pt defense woes were just learning the system, much of the problem was Davis not being able to rotate back to his own man quick enough, leaving the wing defender to stay on Davis' man way too long. Thus, leaving the wing/perimeter players wide open.

I hate to say it, but De'Ron will strictly be used in matchup situations.... Against Haas/Haarms and other bigger, less mobile guys.

Pre-injury.... De'Ron was playing though some nagging leg issues. Remember when Dakich attacked De'Ron for his play ?  There was a reason .  And the very next practice after Dak's comments, is when De'Ron went down for the season.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

We sorely missed his size? When? 

Obviously nothing was perfect on a 16-15 team but our interior play and defense seemed to be our two biggest strengths. 

Against PU, MSU and OSU or any team that has a lot of size.  Having Morgan play the post on defense wears him out and I though the last few games he looked he was gassed.   Next year we need to have a big to guard the post so we don't have Morgan doing it.

13 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I know that we still have an entire month of college basketball left, but... this thread was going to happen sooner or later, so here goes.. assuming that everything plays out like we hope!

1. Green/Phinisee/Durham

2. Romeo/Anderson/McRoberts

3. Smith/Hunter

4. Morgan/Thompson

5. Davis/Moore

Forester and whoever fills the remaining scholarship may or may not contribute, but I feel like that’s a decent squad. Obviously there’s lots left to determine, so I’m certainly not set here. I know that McRoberts and Thompson will both carve out a nice roll, as will Phinisee and Anderson. So this is completely premature, but fun to think about!

I think Forester will be light years ahead of Moore defensively and rebounding, so I just can't see Moore playing in front of him. I saw more improvement in Justin Smith this year than I expected, so I don't see how you keep him out of the starting lineup - He and Morgan played really well toward the end in interchangeable roles. I think we will see a major jump in Green's game as this will be his second offseason with Archie - last offseason learning his style and expectations, this offseason teaching Archie's style to the new class. As the saying goes, you don't truly learn something until you teach it. I think Green will flourish with the added responsibility. 

It is going to be great to actually have depth and options at every position. I see Davis and Forester as opposite style 5's - Davis the strong, post up defender, post up offense 5, Forester the quick, rebounding, set picks, spread the floor, alley oop 5. I am seeing a Grad Transfer, experienced 3 point shooter as our biggest need going into this season just to help spread the floor and help the freshmen.

My thoughts on the depth chart:

1. Green/Phinisee/Durham

2. Romeo/Anderson

3. McRoberts/Hunter

4. Smith/Thompson/Moore

5. Morgan/Davis/Forester

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Not a fit defensively ?  Need I remind all of you that De'Ron set the all time Colorado school boy record for blocked shots ?  And it was not even close. 

It has to do with more of the ball screen defense and Davis had trouble getting back to his man.

30 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Pre-injury.... De'Ron was playing though some nagging leg issues. Remember when Dakich attacked De'Ron for his play ?  There was a reason .  And the very next practice after Dak's comments, is when De'Ron went down for the season.

Not saying De'Ron can't improve. He'll just have to get much quicker defensively if he's going to play a lot. Otherwise, he'll strictly be a matchup guy. If he improves defensively, he could be a matchup nightmare for opposing teams.

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Against PU, MSU and OSU or any team that has a lot of size.  Having Morgan play the post on defense wears him out and I though the last few games he looked he was gassed.   Next year we need to have a big to guard the post so we don't have Morgan doing it.

We absolutely crushed MSU on the boards. Flat out destroyed them. 

OSU and PU have abnormally big humans and I'd still argue we didn't lose those games in the post. Particularly OSU we didn't, we had a shot to win in regulation and lost on a bomb in double OT. 

I seriously don’t see Archie playing Morgan at the 5, unless he absolutely has to... I agree, Morgan may play at the 5 on occasion, depending on the matchup. But he’ll want Juwan to succeed at his natural position. I guess I could see Forrester or Moore getting lots of PT if Davis isn’t healthy going into the season.

19 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I seriously don’t see Archie playing Morgan at the 5, unless he absolutely has to... I agree, Morgan may play at the 5 on occasion, depending on the matchup. But he’ll want Juwan to succeed at his natural position. I guess I could see Forrester or Moore getting lots of PT if Davis isn’t healthy going into the season.

If Forrester or Moore make big strides sure, but why would he play them at the expense of someone else just so Morgan, who thrived at the five this season, can play the four? 

Do you sit Smith or make him play the three? His ball handling isn't there as a 3 IMO. 

Does this mean Hunter or McBob get limited minutes even though they're likely better than the other two?

I think Davis probably gets 20ish minutes per game so some of that will overlap with Morgan, but Morgan is going to have to be our 5 for about half the game unless someone else really steps up. 

Hope Morgan is back.  Otherwise Smith takes his place.

DD will still be recovering next year and getting back into playing condition. Hope his lack of athleticism was related to his injury and becomes the player we need in the post

Just not sure Green stays.  Still not playing to level we need and end Soph year.  Even Durham not consistent enough. Hence CAM looking JUCO

Moore still seems like project and may transfer.

All the new recruits will get plenty of playing time.

In any event, looking forward to seeing a much improved team next year!

55 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

If Forrester or Moore make big strides sure, but why would he play them at the expense of someone else just so Morgan, who thrived at the five this season, can play the four? 

Do you sit Smith or make him play the three? His ball handling isn't there as a 3 IMO. 

Does this mean Hunter or McBob get limited minutes even though they're likely better than the other two?

I think Davis probably gets 20ish minutes per game so some of that will overlap with Morgan, but Morgan is going to have to be our 5 for about half the game unless someone else really steps up. 

Thompson will likely play some at the 5 spot, definitely ahead of Moore, likely ahead of Forrester and maybe even ahead of Davis if he is not back to 100%. Moore is not a 5 at this point and is a long, long way from providing anything at that position. Of the three candidates to play the 5, two of them would likely compliment Morgan very well, allowing him to play his most effective position at the 4. Morgan, Smith, and Hunter will likely be largely interchangeable at the 3 and 4 positions with each of them bringing something a bit different. Two of those three will likely be on the floor together a large part of the time. 

7 minutes ago, dyedinthewool said:

Or not coming.

The JUCO recruiting has nothing to do with Romeo one way or the other IMO. It is not necessarily an indication that someone else is leaving either. If all the guards stay and Romeo commits, IU could still use another guard that can play the 2 and can shoot. 

1 minute ago, hoosierBGH said:

Thompson will likely play some at the 5 spot, definitely ahead of Moore, likely ahead of Forrester and maybe even ahead of Davis if he is not back to 100%. Moore is not a 5 at this point and is a long, long way from providing anything at that position. Of the three candidates to play the 5, two of them would likely compliment Morgan very well, allowing him to play his most effective position at the 4. Morgan, Smith, and Hunter will likely be largely interchangeable at the 3 and 4 positions with each of them bringing something a bit different. Two of those three will likely be on the floor together a large part of the time. 

Our best lineup based on what we currently know is Morgan and Smith at the four and five. Hunter probably isn't playing either of those positions, he's a big perimeter player. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Our best lineup based on what we currently know is Morgan and Smith at the four and five. Hunter probably isn't playing either of those positions, he's a big perimeter player. 

Morgan will probably play some at the 5 but again, Thompson, Forrester, and Davis will also share minutes at the 5 and two of those can only play at the 5. Hunter will likely spend some time at the 3&4 maybe even a little at the 2 if we don't land Romeo, Smith will play the 3 and 4, and Morgan will play 3, 4, and some at the 5. Our best lineup is with Morgan playing either the 3 or 4, with Smith playing the other and a mobile 5 that doesn't clog the lane on offense. The 3, 4 and to a lesser extent the 5 are interchangeable on the offensive end in Archie's offense but we will need a bigger body at the 5 on defense against bigger teams

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've been curious as well on why the recent JUCO heavy recruiting visits. Seems to me Archie's actions are telling us he knows someone is leaving. 

I would agree that someone might be leaving and getting a juco could help balance the classes out.

My personal opinion is that we have at least 2 transfers.  I see Green going and possibly Moore.  I don't know about Davis, he doesn't fit into the defensive scheme as mentioned above and he might want to play somewhere that can utilize his size and rim protecting.  

I also don't think we Romeo.  Depending on what the NBA does with the one and done, he might not even have to go to a school, but if he does, i see Kansas

Archived