18-19 Lineup(just for fun)

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I can see McRoberts as the 6th man of the year in the B1G.  He just isn't a starter to me.  Plays hard, works hard, smart with good defense but he has to score.  If you can't score and especially with the talent we have coming in, he just wont get the start

It's very conceivable that a RS SR McRoberts would be the 2nd best player in the incoming FR class... especially when you factor in the things he does that don't show up in the box score. I think his "not needing to score to make an impact" makes him MORE of a starter than his lack of scoring makes him not a starter.  There has to be balance, he would offer some protection to Romeo as well. 

We will have to disagree.  I have a hard time seeing a player who doesn't score as a starter.  On last years team, sure, we didn't have anyone who could really score.  But if you have 1 of the new kids who can score and play the same level of defense, you have to give it them.  Don't get me wrong though.  I see McRoberts averaging 20 min a game off the bench.  I just don't think he starts.

But you are not going to see it my way and i am not going to change my mind and see it your way. We will just have to wait and see.

BTW, i really like McRoberts and hope he ups his offensive game and can put up 8 pts a game and start.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

We will have to disagree.  I have a hard time seeing a player who doesn't score as a starter.  On last years team, sure, we didn't have anyone who could really score.  But if you have 1 of the new kids who can score and play the same level of defense, you have to give it them.  Don't get me wrong though.  I see McRoberts averaging 20 min a game off the bench.  I just don't think he starts.

But you are not going to see it my way and i am not going to change my mind and see it your way. We will just have to wait and see.

BTW, i really like McRoberts and hope he ups his offensive game and can put up 8 pts a game and start.

I just don't know why the 8pts a game mean he should start? Anderson isn't going to be ready and if Hunter is better than McRoberts (as in gives us a better chance to win)... eeeshh, we're going to be really good with plenty of depth 1-4. 

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

None of the new kids will come close to playing the same level of defense he does.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I like KoBs 5 to start but I see Phinesee or Hunter starting later on.  Green needs to play smart and not turn the ball over.

I agree; I could see one of the other freshman getting in their by the end of the year. I hope Hunter and Phinisee do not both start. That would make for a really young starting 5  

Good thing, we will find out a about 6 months. I don't care if he starts or not.  If we win that is all that matters.  And honestly none of us know what the new kids are going to be able to do coming in.  

But i really just need to get out of this thread, i don't want to get drawn into another months long discussion about him.  We each have our own beliefs on what a player should or shouldn't do to start. 

Therefore please don't quote me any more or respond to me.  I am out!

11 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I hear ya, but if he starts he is playing with guys like Romeo and Morgan. We dont need his scoring, we do need his defense to help Romeo. 

If he comes off the bench, his lack of scoring is amplified and he will get less open looks from three which he proved to be capable of knocking down. I'd rather let guys like Hunter and Davis be the focal point of the second unit than being role players in the starting unit, but maximizing their talents. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Who ya got next year HSN?

I HOPE Green establishes himself. If he does, I like....

Green

Romeooooooo

McRoberts

Smith

Morgan

Phinisee

Hunter

Davis

Durham

Forrester/Thompson

That's a really strong rotation IMO

No idea who starts, who develops etc. I wonder how good Race is gonna be? 

We don' hear much about him. But he is a tough talented guy who has sat and learned for a year. 

Whatever happens, looking at that roster, we are clearly seeing an increase on depth of talent. 

I can' wait to watch how all these kids progress.

And we (hopefully) have a man in Juwan to set the tone and lead.

A lot to look forward to.

McRoberts is bench level talent on a good team. I think we will have a good team and he will be an important part of a second unit. He was very good on a crappy IU team. The talent just got upgraded all around, this has the potential to be a very good team. McRoberts hustle and fight will be great in practice for the new guys. But I fully expect Smith and Hunter to be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I’m a believer that all starters need to be a threat to score and have the capability. It makes the game so much easier when this is the case. If McRoberts and jump his game, then fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

No idea who starts, who develops etc. I wonder how good Race is gonna be? 

We don' hear much about him. But he is a tough talented guy who has sat and learned for a year. 

Whatever happens, looking at that roster, we are clearly seeing an increase on depth of talent. 

I can' wait to watch how all these kids progress.

And we (hopefully) have a man in Juwan to set the tone and lead.

A lot to look forward to.

That's what I have been wondering.  I have no idea how Race has been improving.  I am hoping for good things from him.

1 minute ago, Feathery said:

McRoberts is bench level talent on a good team. I think we will have a good team and he will be an important part of a second unit. He was very good on a crappy IU team. The talent just got upgraded all around, this has the potential to be a very good team. McRoberts hustle and fight will be great in practice for the new guys. But I fully expect Smith and Hunter to be ahead of him in the pecking order. 

I’m a believer that all starters need to be a threat to score and have the capability. It makes the game so much easier when this is the case. If McRoberts and jump his game, then fantastic. 

McRoberts doesn't play the same position as Smith. He shot 40% from three last year and was a great perimeter defender. Where is this lack of talent you speak of? 

31 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Not every player on the floor needs to be a scorer if he can bring other things to the team. Dennis Rodman was not a scorer but he filled a role and played that role well.

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I hear ya, but if he starts he is playing with guys like Romeo and Morgan. We dont need his scoring, we do need his defense to help Romeo. 

If he comes off the bench, his lack of scoring is amplified and he will get less open looks from three which he proved to be capable of knocking down. I'd rather let guys like Hunter and Davis be the focal point of the second unit than being role players in the starting unit, but maximizing their talents. 

Actually having others who can score will actually help Romeo. It won’t allow teams to double him, it will also get him open looks more frequently. 

When McRoberts is in off the bench, he will be against another teams bench players.  Which will let his defense shine even more and keep them from going on a run while our starters get a breather. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

McRoberts doesn't play the same position as Smith. He shot 40% from three last year and was a great perimeter defender. Where is this lack of talent you speak of? 

On 13 of 33 shots, lets not get carried away with our stats here and was 7 of 20 in conference play. DANG IT, YOU DREW ME BACK IN

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Actually having others who can score will actually help Romeo. It won’t allow teams to double him, it will also get him open looks more frequently. 

When McRoberts is in off the bench, he will be against another teams bench players.  Which will let his defense shine even more and keep them from going on a run while our starters get a breather. 

If they double Romeo on the perimeter and make McRoberts shoot it's going to be great for us. He shot 40% last year from three, it's reasonable to think that's going to go up with another offseason of work and the confidence of knowing he can play at the Big Ten level. 

Just took a look at this... We’re going to have TEN players on the roster 6’6 or taller:

Phinisee 6’0
Green 6’3
Durham 6’4
McBob 6’6
Langford 6’6
Anderson 6’6
Smith 6’7
Hunter 6’7
Morgan 6’8
Thompson 6’8
Forrester 6’9
Davis 6’10
Moore 6’10

That is some serious length.  Even Durham and Green are pretty big guards.

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree; I could see one of the other freshman getting in their by the end of the year. I hope Hunter and Phinisee do not both start. That would make for a really young starting 5  

I think the starting PG is going to be the guy who proves he can consistently hit the open 3.  With Romeo and Morgan on the floor the other guard is going to get a lot of them.  Durham wasn't a good shooter last season and I haven't seen enough of Phinesee yet.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

If he was such a great shooter why didn’t he shoot more? Scoring was needed badly last season. Great he shot 39% from 3, but only averaged 2.3 points a game. So he made less than 1 three pointer a game. That is lack of talent. That is the type of talent other teams leave open to double down on the real offensive threats.

McRoberts will play the 3/SF/Wing position. This is where you will see Smith, Hunter, and Romeo at times. I don’t think McRoberts is better than any of those guys. 

Just now, Feathery said:

If he was such a great shooter why didn’t he shoot more? Scoring was needed badly last season. Great he shot 39% from 3, but only averaged 2.3 points a game. So he made less than 1 three pointer a game. That is lack of talent. That is the type of talent other teams leave open to double down on the real offensive threats.

McRoberts will play the 3/SF/Wing position. This is where you will see Smith, Hunter, and Romeo at times. I don’t think McRoberts is better than any of those guys. 

Smith isn’t a three in Archie’s system.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

On 13 of 33 shots, lets not get carried away with our stats here and was 7 of 20 in conference play. DANG IT, YOU DREW ME BACK IN

So say he doubles that, and he is taking 2 a game and making about 1. That's enough to keep teams honest. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Smith is a 4 in our system; it's the only place he played at all last year. 

Archived