Does Archie get one more "honeymoon" year .....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

That he did.  And I am going to add some more fuel to the fire.  This past week, I was informed that Archie received a call from NA.  And the person making the call was not Tim.

Mama Langford???  9_9

Seriously though I wonder if it has anything to do with an IU visit that was mentioned in the RL thread??

I’m very sanguine on Archie.  From everything I’ve seen, he’s putting in place a program that will be consistently competitive over the long haul.  I think he’s going to do fine once he has time to build his roster and develop it.  Next year, in my mind, will still be a work in progress.  

You’re going to have a lot of new faces and Archie’s style will always require discipline with the ball and understanding defense.  I don’t think that stuff will translate immediately from many years of watching freshmen take their lumps.  The nice thing is you will more than likely have a veteran in Morgan who takes leadership seriously and has a chance to be in the pantheon of greats because he’s such a team-oriented, well rounded player who gets what the Indiana on the front of the jersey means.  But, the roster will still be biased to the young side.  In time, my hunch is Archie will develop class balance with upperclassmen leading underclassmen every year and you will see a competitive program consistently except for the occasional one-off.  

I don’t know whether that’s characterized as a honeymoon, but realism is important.  Archie could try for more of a quick fix, but that will lead to constant upheaval.  He’s building for the duration.  As long as he continues on the path he’s on, I have no doubts about the coach.  But, it may be a couple of years until we are ready.  Romeo, of course, could be a game changer but that’s just speculation right now as far as I know.  

Romeo or not, I’m looking for the correct trajectory and the signs of what Indiana people think constitutes good basketball.  After that, the wins will fall into place.  

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

That he did.  And I am going to add some more fuel to the fire.  This past week, I was informed that Archie received a call from NA.  And the person making the call was not Tim.

So was it Romeo but I hope it was not inform him of bad news.

15 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Mama Langford???  9_9

Seriously though I wonder if it has anything to do with an IU visit that was mentioned in the RL thread??

Nope.  Romeo.  And it did not have anything to do with a decision.  Sorry... that is all I can share at this time. 

4 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Thanks for sharing Mile. I hope it was positive.....

I honestly don't know the content of the call, other than it was not about a decision.  If one takes a positive out of the call....it would be that Romeo initiated the call.  Which references McHenry34's comment about Archie building this relationship from the ground up.  All I was attempting to do was bolster that fact, based on what I had learned earlier this week.  Guys.... please don't try to read into it more than what I have just shared with you.... IU and Archie are still in contact with each other.  There is a relationship that continues to this date.... when once there was none between IU and Romeo.

32 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m very sanguine on Archie.  From everything I’ve seen, he’s putting in place a program that will be consistently competitive over the long haul.  I think he’s going to do fine once he has time to build his roster and develop it.  Next year, in my mind, will still be a work in progress.  

You’re going to have a lot of new faces and Archie’s style will always require discipline with the ball and understanding defense.  I don’t think that stuff will translate immediately from many years of watching freshmen take their lumps.  The nice thing is you will more than likely have a veteran in Morgan who takes leadership seriously and has a chance to be in the pantheon of greats because he’s such a team-oriented, well rounded player who gets what the Indiana on the front of the jersey means.  But, the roster will still be biased to the young side.  In time, my hunch is Archie will develop class balance with upperclassmen leading underclassmen every year and you will see a competitive program consistently except for the occasional one-off.  

I don’t know whether that’s characterized as a honeymoon, but realism is important.  Archie could try for more of a quick fix, but that will lead to constant upheaval.  He’s building for the duration.  As long as he continues on the path he’s on, I have no doubts about the coach.  But, it may be a couple of years until we are ready.  Romeo, of course, could be a game changer but that’s just speculation right now as far as I know.  

Romeo or not, I’m looking for the correct trajectory and the signs of what Indiana people think constitutes good basketball.  After that, the wins will fall into place.  

Great post "BOB"!  Dare I say, almost RMK Jr-ish?  Early to Mid-nineties RMK is what I'm hoping for anyways. 

4 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I hope IU and Archie are still in contact with each other!  What the hell has happened since I went to sleep last night?

Not wanting to turning this into a political discussion ( against our rules ).  But since you ask... what has happened since you went to bed last night...  Trump and KJU have agreed to meet.... kind of like Romeo calling Archie.  Who'd a thunk it.... a year ago ?

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not wanting to turning this into a political discussion ( against our rules ).  But since you ask... what has happened since you went to bed last night...  Trump and KJU have agreed to meet.... kind of like Romeo calling Archie.  Who'd a thunk it.... a year ago ?

Just busting your balls a little with the typo.  I'm sure you meant romeo is still in contact with Archie.

If Romeo comes and Morgan is back most will expect to compete for the B1G title and a deep tourney run.  If we have one or none are here an NCAA berth is probably enough to calm the masses.  But no matter what happens his seat will be on fire in year 3 if we miss the tourney next season. 

Recruiting is goingto be very important too.  A home run 2019 class will help calm the masses too.  Ive said many times that between Romeo, TJD, and Brooks we must land 2 of the 3.  

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Romeo comes and Morgan is back most will expect to compete for the B1G title and a deep tourney run.  If we have one or none are here an NCAA berth is probably enough to calm the masses.  But no matter what happens his seat will be on fire in year 3 if we miss the tourney next season. 

Count me in the department that if we do get Romeo and Morgan comes back I'm not expecting a deep tourney run. Almost seems like expectations are so high in this scenario that you can say poor this or poor coaching,etc....seems a tad unrealistic. Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I can't help but think that's a positive sign that he feels so comfortable with a head coach (no offense to assistants) that he can call like that. Of course looking into a call is probably not the healthiest of things. Haha..

Neither is a 140 page thread, but what can ya do???:snack:

6 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Honeymoon?  I've had 9 of them.  They are overrated.

Seriously.  There should be no honeymoon period for Archie.  The program is not in the kind of shape it was when Crean took over.   This is not a major rebuild.

Archie has a team worthy of making the NCAA  next year with or without Romeo.  And, if he loses Romeo to Vandy, I think it's fair to ask why.  

I will never expect a championship.  But the team should be capable of making the Sweet 16 every year.  No excuses.

Gotta call BS Fouls, honeymoons are NOT overrated, what comes after is!:coffee: Honeymoons are awesome!

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Count me in the department that if we do get Romeo and Morgan comes back I'm not expecting a deep tourney run. Almost seems like expectations are so high in this scenario that you can say poor this or poor coaching,etc....seems a tad unrealistic. Just my opinion.

I'm talking maybe an Elite 8.  Romeo is better than Cody was and Cody inherited a 3-15 team with no impact recruits coming with him.  We would've probably been in the FF his freshman year if we're not in Kentucky's bracket or if they don't have that once in a lifetime 35-37 night from the stripe.  It's a very realistic expectation. 

Also, put Romeo on this year's team and we probably beat Duke, Purdue, MSU, OSU, Nebraska, and Illinois and easily make the tourney.  Johnson, Hartman, and Freddie are not big losses.  We're getting Deron back too.

Okay, don't know what I'm saying, but going to say it anyway. Romeo is an awesome player no doubt, and any team would be better having him, but the question I have (and I have no clue) does Romeo fit CAM's system? I think CAM's success is going to come when he has players that buy in to what he is selling, we saw some of that this year. Will we see more of that next year,( I think so) Bottom line for me is, I'm buying what CAM is selling and I'm hopeful he can land some high level recruits that also are buying what he is selling!

Archived