From the mod team at Hoosier Sports Nation 3.0..

milehiiu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

https://weather.com/news/news/2018-01-03-winter-storm-grayson-south-impacts

Don't know how many of our members are in these areas or the east coast. Everybody stay safe out there.

Certainly, blessings going out to all impacted by this storm.   Not just HSN 3.0 members.

I was shocked.  Shocked, I say.  The other day, when I read that it was snowing in Florida !  Meanwhile, here in Denver, we are MAKING snow in Ruby Hill for the snow boarders !

Ruby Hill, in the heart of Denver..... from last year :

Ruby Hill

45 minutes ago, RJPaisley said:

Gainesville, Florida here, and we are supposed to have 20's the next 3 nights. We are NOT accustomed to this.

Thanks for checking in.  I do appreciate your post.  Those temps for you are CRAZY !

Additionally. I just checked temps here in Colorado at my house vs Gainsville.  We are at 55, versus 35 where you are at.  Really CRAZY !

7 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

About 15-20 miles west of me (Portage, Michigan) they have a winter storm warning with up to 18" possible. Hopefully the lake effect snow band doesn't move to the east and dump it on me. We have had enough of the white stuff this year. 

You must be about straight north of me. I'm just south of Sturgis. 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

About 15-20 miles west of me (Portage, Michigan) they have a winter storm warning with up to 18" possible. Hopefully the lake effect snow band doesn't move to the east and dump it on me. We have had enough of the white stuff this year. 

Oh yes. Growing up in Northwest Indiana. I recall many of the lake effect storms that hit just to the East and North of us.  Historically, brutal storms. Take care my friend. And prayers that the wind does not knock out the electricity.  Worst storms , as a youth, I recall in NWI where when the snow came down hard.... the wind blew strong... and the power went out for days. 

Love the snow absolutely love it, we got 16 inches in Billings right now and Montana skiing is dynamite right now. I grew up praying for snow and still do to this day. Snow is good for all Ag producers  across the nation, take that moisture anyway way you can get it, keep bringing it Ol Mother Nature!!

Having said that, I hope everybody stays safe. 

10 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Love the snow absolutely love it, we got 16 inches in Billings right now and Montana skiing is dynamite right now. I grew up praying for snow and still do to this day. Snow is good for all Ag producers  across the nation, take that moisture anyway way you can get it, keep bringing it Ol Mother Nature!!

Love  your post.  Snowfall so far in the mountains of Colorado is down. Which presents another problem, in itself. With the moderating temps, and low snow fall... there is a problem, in term of avalanches. We are currently in the process of numerous avalanches over our high mountain highways. And the Colorado Department of Transportation is working over time .....blowing up ( litterally)  potentially avalanches that can cover any of our high country highways. 

36 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

Btw, my wife and I are heading to your state this summer to visit Glacier for the first time. We're both teachers and are taking a month to do a cross country driving trip with stops at Glacier>Seattle area>Portland area>Yellowstone>Badlands>visit family in Indiana. Any pro tips for visiting Glacier are certainly appreciated! 

I mentioned above my wife and I are both teachers. We both already had snow days called by our schools here in Jersey for tomorrow. We're on the edge of this nasty storm, but the wind, snow, and sub-zero temps was enough to shut down our area already. Time to hunker down and enjoy the Oliver Winery selections we brought back from our trip to Indiana last week. Celebrated our workless Thursday with a bottle of Soft White tonight. 

7 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Btw, my wife and I are heading to your state this summer to visit Glacier for the first time. We're both teachers and are taking a month to do a cross country driving trip with stops at Glacier>Seattle area>Portland area>Yellowstone>Badlands>visit family in Indiana. Any pro tips for visiting Glacier are certainly appreciated! 

1. I would say if you like hiking do the Highline trail in Glacier. 2. Stop around Flathead lake on your way to the park, it’s one of our gems in Montana. 3. If your coming in the summer make sure it’s at least mid June or later, or else you won’t get to see all Glacier has to offer because some roads and trails will still be closed due to the snow pack. 4. Just wing it if you don’t like plans or structure while your on vacation, because this state has a ton to offer especially Yellowstone and Glacier.

2 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

1. I would say if you like hiking do the Highline trail in Glacier. 2. Stop around Flathead lake on your way to the park, it’s one of our gems in Montana. 3. If your coming in the summer make sure it’s at least mid June or later, or else you won’t get to see all Glacier has to offer because some roads and trails will still be closed due to the snow pack. 4. Just wing it if you don’t like plans or structure while your on vacation, because this state has a ton to offer especially Yellowstone and Glacier.

We'll be getting there end of at the very end of June. Hopefully everything is open. We didn't have much choice with dates for various reasons. Thanks for the info.....very much appreciated! If you think of anything else that would be helpful, feel free to private message me. 

19 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

O one more thing, if your gonna come into MT through ND or SD you will be coming through billings, so if I’m right on how you are getting to MT and you come anytime after memorial weekend it’s a must for you to do the Beartooth Pass. You head down to Red Lodge from Billings, after you get to Red Lodge you keep going south and go over the Beartooth Pass. After the pass you hit Cooke City and then you can go into Yellowstone park that way. I’m telling you this is a must if you like high beautiful scenic drives.

2 minutes ago, Montana Hoosier said:

O one more thing, if your gonna come into MT through ND or SD you will be coming through billings, so if I’m right on how you are getting to MT and you come anytime after memorial weekend it’s a must for you to do the Beartooth Pass. You head down to Red Lodge from Billings, after you get to Red Lodge you keep going south and go over the Beartooth Pass. After the pass you hit Cooke City and then you can go into Yellowstone park that way. I’m telling you this is a must if you like high beautiful scenic drives.

Just Googled images of that pass. Amazing! Not sure we can pull it off but you've definitely given me something to consider.

6 hours ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Hey.  Plenty of time to put into your plans a visit to the palatial environs of the mile hacienda, here in Colorado.  Consider this as an open invite.  Others from HSN have taken me up on this. My wife spent 40 years in Colorado as a teacher.  So consider this as an open invite.   Should you consider this.... shoot me a p.m.  And email and phone numbers will come your way.

Not sure if it's blind luck or the karma gods or whatever but we share a vacation home in Naples, Florida and every year we choose for which week in January each family member uses it. Anyway long story short the one family member who is Mom of the year (she thinks), everything is planned sun up to sundown,etc....said all fall this is the only week that works for her schedule so she had to take this week.

Needless to say it's been 50's and cold the last couple of days and expected today. When we arrive on Monday? 78 and sunny.....sometimes life gives you a small victory.

Not making lite of the situation.  But... how many find it funny that the storm is named..... Grayson ?  How many not used to snow will be tripped by storm Grayson, today ?

Also, have been following the storm on the weather channel  Just find it funny, as they are worried about possibly six inches of snow today.  Yet through the years, the high country in Colorado can get hit with 36 or more inches of snow.... and nothing is ever mentioned about that.

In the end.... stay safe HSN.  And stay warm. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not making lite of the situation.  But... how many find it funny that the storm is named..... Grayson ?  How many not used to snow will be tripped by storm Grayson, today ?

Also, have been following the storm on the weather channel  Just find it funny, as they are worried about possibly six inches of snow today.  Yet through the years, the high country in Colorado can get hit with 36 or more inches of snow.... and nothing is ever mentioned about that.

East coast bias.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

East coast bias.

You have got that right.  And in a way, I just have to laugh at it.  My son, just left for work. I told him the weather channel was having full team coverage of Grayson.  He asked, how much snow ? I said, maybe 6 inches.  He just shook his head. 

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

You have got that right.  And in a way, I just have to laugh at it.  My son, just left for work. I told him the weather channel was having full team coverage of Grayson.  He asked, how much snow ? I said, maybe 6 inches.  He just shook his head. 

It is freaking ridiculous.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Hey.  Plenty of time to put into your plans a visit to the palatial environs of the mile hacienda, here in Colorado.  Consider this as an open invite.  Others from HSN have taken me up on this. My wife spent 40 years in Colorado as a teacher.  So consider this as an open invite.   Should you consider this.... shoot me a p.m.  And email and phone numbers will come your way.

Much appreciated Mile but I can't see it happening this trip. I've already booked much of the lodging along the way. However, we get to the Denver area every 2-3 years, so I'll be in touch next time we head your way. 

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Funny you mention this we were talking about this just last night. Did the weather and basketball gods come together to create a massive winter storm that people don't want to go messing with. Oh the irony in all of this.

Archived