From the mod team at Hoosier Sports Nation 3.0..

milehiiu

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I didn't know about any fires in MT, just the one in CA.  Hard to deny climate change with how our weather has been of late. 

There are currently 20 wildfires burning in Montana.  The smoke from those fires, here in Denver has gotten progressively worse, by the hour.  Will not be opening our windows overnight..... tonight.  Map: Largest Wildfires In Montana (September 4) - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There are currently 20 wildfires burning in Montana.  The smoke from those fires, here in Denver has gotten progressively worse, by the hour.  Will not be opening our windows overnight..... tonight.  Map: Largest Wildfires In Montana (September 4) - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT

Oh man, that's absolutely terrible. Anyone out west, Mile or others, know why there is such a lack of news coverage with the wildfires?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh man, that's absolutely terrible. Anyone out west, Mile or others, know why there is such a lack of news coverage with the wildfires?

It's typical.  We are used to having 24/7 coverage of events along the East Coast,even minor events, while national coverage of events in the West get little to no coverage.

Following up on my post above about East Coast bias, in terms of news coverage.  There are 74 fires in 8 states.  I turned on a major national news network Tuesday morning, and watched for an hour.  Not one word about the fires.  However, I did learn about the mayor of New York City wanting to have a parade dedicated to himself.

Where is the smoke coming from? Map shows 74+ wildfires burning - Spokane, North Idaho News & Weather KHQ.com

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Tell me about it Mile, this summer has been terrible.  We are dry everywhere and right now only 2% of MT isn't in a drought.  Where I grew up in northeast MT, I now live in Billings, the spring wheat didn't even get over 12 inches tall because its been so dry.  In Billings we have had .10 of an inch since July 1st.  The fires will probably burn until late October and maybe longer.  At this point the snow is about the only thing that will put some of the fires out, because it will probably snow sooner than it will rain a bunch.  We are praying for big rains here in the Big Sky state, but it isn't looking good.

40 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's more of a population density bias.  If those wildfires were in California, I'll bet we'd be hearing about them.  Montana is officially "flyover country".

I don't know about that.  The Great Lakes region doesn't get much "love" either by the national networks.  

50 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's more of a population density bias.  If those wildfires were in California, I'll bet we'd be hearing about them.  Montana is officially "flyover country".

While I agree with you in terms of population density.  Currently Los Angeles is experiencing the largest wild fire in it's history.

Los Angeles fire spread halted, work to contain it continues

Los Angeles wildfires: City battles 'largest fire in history' - BBC News

Its been hot and dry out West, cool in the NE and cooler and wetter than normal where I am in the Midwest.  Grass is still green here at the end of the summer without much of a need to water. Weather this year has really been very local.

I just became of the wildfires a few days ago and started looking for news on them. Unfortunately, the east coast tends to decide whats newsworthy, whether that's sports, politics, weather or other,  so it is a blessing to have the internet to visit local Houston or LA news, or here- Hoosiersportsnation for IU news!

37 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Its been hot and dry out West, cool in the NE and cooler and wetter than normal where I am in the Midwest.  Grass is still green here at the end of the summer without much of a need to water. Weather this year has really been very local.

I just became of the wildfires a few days ago and started looking for news on them. Unfortunately, the east coast tends to decide whats newsworthy, whether that's sports, politics, weather or other,  so it is a blessing to have the internet to visit local Houston or LA news, or here- Hoosiersportsnation for IU news!

I have and continue to be a news addict.  For years, I would follow the many MSM networks.  Growing more tired of their biased coverage.  I agree with you that the internet is a God send to this news addict.  As, now... I rarely tune into MSM news stations.  This a.m. being the exception, as I was interested to see if there would be any coverage of the fires out West... one hour was all I could take, with no coverage.

My smart tv's and Roku have opened up a whole new world of checking into news. There are tons of local and national news networks that offer up  real unbiased news. 

21 hours ago, Tiz10 said:

As labor day comes to a close here in South Florida, we now focus all of our attention towards Irma......we now start preparing for the worst case scenario with hope of a safe outcome for all.

Here's to hoping Fla doesn't take the brunt of what's being predicted so far. Harvey left many parts of Texas in a genuine state of disaster, worst flooding in U.S. history. And flood insurance of course is essential.

Yeah the lack of media coverage is pretty annoying in regards to the fires. But I suppose I would rather have that than another 100,000 people moving out here. 

We had a wet winter and spring and were hopeful for a light fire season. Unfortunately we have little measurable rain since June, combined with high temps, low humidity and windy conditions it is making for a bad fire season. 

Family back in Indiana and Chicago are saying that they are starting to get some of the smoke blowing into the area now. 

8 hours ago, SpiderMonkey said:

Yeah the lack of media coverage is pretty annoying in regards to the fires. But I suppose I would rather have that than another 100,000 people moving out here. 

We had a wet winter and spring and were hopeful for a light fire season. Unfortunately we have little measurable rain since June, combined with high temps, low humidity and windy conditions it is making for a bad fire season. 

Family back in Indiana and Chicago are saying that they are starting to get some of the smoke blowing into the area now. 

Colorado just added to the smoke problem..... as two new fires have started up in the state.

This lady is saying the smoke surrounding Denver is clearing up.  I beg to differ.  Smoke this morning (Sept 7) was the worst I have seen yet.

Wildfire smoke is stilling hanging over Denver, but it's clearing up - Denverite

Watching a paltry crowd at the Rockies game in Coors field last night, I was disappointed in the size of the crowd..... till I realized people did not want to get out in the smoke. 

Archived