NEW ERA IU BB

I graduated from IU in 1969.  Two years before Knight became HC.  I went to all the home games in the building that's next to Cook Hall... before Assembly Hall was completed. I saw the beginning of the construction of Assembly Hall... and have only been in the building once... and not for a game.  During the time I was a student, despite the fact the facility was wanting as was the team.... I rooted for my Hoosiers.  I became a Hoosier fan as a youngster, listening to the games on WOWO out of Fort Wayne, though I lived in Gary.  My hero at the time was Walt Bellamy.  I have seen or listened to it all.  From the good times to the first two years of Tom Crean.  Watched in wonder as Mike Davis took us to the final game in 2002.  I have watched some amazing players don the Candy Stripes.  And shook my head at others.  And through it all, I have never lost my love for IU basketball.

What I guess I am attempting to say.... is IU basketball is full of trends. We really did not know what to expect with Coach Knight. when he first arrived. He provided us with a ton. A lot to be proud of, and some actions, not so much.  Right now, I like the trend we are in with Archie as our head coach.  Kind of Knight like, without the distractions. 

Go Archie. And GO Hoosiers !

I moved to Sarasota, FL when I graduated from IU. At that time the only way to watch the games was on Ch 4, so I always listened to the games on WOWO.  I either drove around listening to the games or sometimes was able to pick up WOWO in my bathroom. Been loving our Hoosiers for a very long time.  I'm hoping CAM can take us back to those glory days. 

I'm a little younger than Mile.  I started school at IU in the fall of 1970 when Lou Watson was HC.   Coach Watson's time as HC ended in the Spring of 1971.  Many thought Tates Lock of Clemson would be hired, but in a surprise IU hired Bobby Knight, Coach of Army. 

Coach Knight was an innovator and changed the way that college basketball was played.

I don't think CAM is the innovator like CBK.  CAM certainly has a much calmer temperament.  But he does seem to have CBK's intensity and dedication. 

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works out.

^^ And I'm a little younger than Slojoe -- graduated IU in '88, following our '87 title, but grew up mostly in Btown, and so got to witness our '76, '81 and '87 championships, now those were some good Bball years. You haven't seen a college town go crazy until you're there when they win the NC.

During those years RMK was, genuinely, a legend, definitely an innovator with his motion offense, and IU became a destination school for many of the top players in IN and the country.

I think it's unlikely that he can take IU all the way back up to one of the top programs in the college game, that is putting him in the company of one of the winningest coaches in NCAA history (and RMK had the most when he retired).

That said, CAM looks to be both a very good x's and o's coach, including particularly on the defensive side, and a very good recruiter. How successful he ultimately will be at IU probably depends on how successful he is on the recruiting trail, which itself is probably largely dependent on whether/to what extent he can get IU back to the top in the B1G.

Next season is when it really starts. This season was a interim shift and rebuilding. Next season, imo, is when he should start to be judged. But that said, I would add he'll need another season to get his recruiting/classes up and running.

As I finish typing this, I find myself asking the question -- in this 'new era' of IU ball, how would you guys define success for CAM at IU?

Multiple FFs? At least one NC? More than one NC? Perennial contender in the B1G with multiple EEs? 

I think for me it will be a perennial contender in conference, like an MSU, with multiple FFs down the road. I'd like to add at least one NC, and that's fair, but if we're getting multiple FFs, are contending year in and year out in the B1G, and are one of those highly ranked schools again, regularly, I will consider that success.

showalterfountain196262-900.jpg

Back when I was young, and first started listening to WOWO.... it was on a small hand held transistor radio.  State of the art, back in the day.  LOL.  Another memory in the fall and winter months was waiting for dusk and dark, so that the lesser powered radio stations between Gary and Fort Wayne would go off the air by FCC mandate.  This allowed the signal from WOWO to come in much better.

I am amazed Paisley that you were able to pick up a signal from WOWO, in Florida.

54 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Back when I was young, and first started listening to WOWO.... it was on a small hand held transistor radio.  State of the art, back in the day.  LOL.  Another memory in the fall and winter months was waiting for dusk and dark, so that the lesser powered radio stations between Gary and Fort Wayne would go off the air by FCC mandate.  This allowed the signal from WOWO to come in much better.

I am amazed Paisley that you were able to pick up a signal from WOWO, in Florida.

WOWO used to be a 50,000 watt station, and on clear nights, its signal went quite a distance. Numerous stories up here from people in Northern Canada who listened to the legendary Bob Chase broadcast Komet hockey games. I used to listen to IU games on WOWO when I lived in Wisconsin. 

Unfortunately, as the station has been bought and sold , the signal strength is no longer that high. 10,000 watts is all now, I believe.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

My Dad listened to WOWO while he was stationed in Norfolk, Virginia.  From 1958-1965.  

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ And I'm a little younger than Slojoe -- graduated IU in '88, following our '87 title, but grew up mostly in Btown, and so got to witness our '76, '81 and '87 championships, now those were some good Bball years. You haven't seen a college town go crazy until you're there when they win the NC.

As I finish typing this, I find myself asking the question -- in this 'new era' of IU ball, how would you guys define success for CAM at IU?

Multiple FFs? At least one NC? More than one NC? Perennial contender in the B1G with multiple EEs? 

I think for me it will be a perennial contender in conference, like an MSU, with multiple FFs down the road. I'd like to add at least one NC, and that's fair, but if we're getting multiple FFs, are contending year in and year out in the B1G, and are one of those highly ranked schools again, regularly, I will consider that success.

And I'm a little younger than you. My freshman year was the 87 Chanpionship season.

I'm with you on how success is defined. I think IU is poised to take over leadership of the B1G and with some FBI / NCAA sanctions purging some of the current elite, could see IU as a top 10 team for the next couple decades. It all starts with Romeo....

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I posted this thought in another thread the other day, and you and I have largely agreed on this over the years, but when judging the overall health of the program I'm looking for consistent conference results. No, that doesn't mean I don't care about FF's or NC's, but I think when you're looking at how a program like IU is doing it's about getting as many high-seed tournament at bats as possible. 

IMO it's shortsighted to look at any one tournament run as use that to judge a coach. If Archie can have IU consistently competing for Big Ten Titles, winning them every couple/few years, and consistently finishing top 4 in conference, then he'll have plenty of chances at tournament success. Maybe in other words, how often and consistently can he have IU getting top 4 NCAA seeds. That's a good overall litmus test IMO. 

Now if after 5, 6, 7...years we're doing all the above but have only made 1 EE, then of course you have to take a look at what is wrong with the tournament results and judge those. Just saying I don't think you judge off one disappointing tournament. 

With all that said, I really think Archie has the coaching chops and talent to do similar to what Izzo has done at MSU. I really think he does, and I would be happy with that. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I posted this thought in another thread the other day, and you and I have largely agreed on this over the years, but when judging the overall health of the program I'm looking for consistent conference results. No, that doesn't mean I don't care about FF's or NC's, but I think when you're looking at how a program like IU is doing it's about getting as many high-seed tournament at bats as possible. 

IMO it's shortsighted to look at any one tournament run as use that to judge a coach. If Archie can have IU consistently competing for Big Ten Titles, winning them every couple/few years, and consistently finishing top 4 in conference, then he'll have plenty of chances at tournament success. Maybe in other words, how often and consistently can he have IU getting top 4 NCAA seeds. That's a good overall litmus test IMO. 

Now if after 5, 6, 7...years we're doing all the above but have only made 1 EE, then of course you have to take a look at what is wrong with the tournament results and judge those. Just saying I don't think you judge off one disappointing tournament. 

With all that said, I really think Archie has the coaching chops and talent to do similar to what Izzo has done at MSU. I really think he does, and I would be happy with that. 

Yes I think we see this very similarly. Being at the top in conference should land those top NCAA seeds which, as you point out, gives us a better chance in the NCAA tourney, and I also agree that consistency is key. MSU again is a good example here (sans the current scandal stuff, just basketball). As good / knowledgeable a coach as CAM appears to be, I tend to think the tourney success will follow. Recruiting will be key. Romeo would certainly jump start it, but I tend to think Romeo is headed elsewhere, after this season. My outlook is next year shows real improvement leading to some real recruiting lands in 2019-20. If CAM brings in Romeo next season though, watch out!

• 1 month later...

AS I POSTED THIS BACK IN MARCH DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK IUMBB IS STARTING A NEW ERA OF BANNERS WITH WHAT CAM HAS DONE IN 1ST RECRUITING CLASS!!! THE DOMINOES WILL AND ARE FALLING!!! KEEP INDIANA HS BEST AND THE REST WILL FOLLOW!!!

On 3/12/2018 at 11:26 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

During those years RMK was, genuinely, a legend, definitely an innovator with his motion offense, and IU became a destination school for many of the top players in IN and the country.

I think it's unlikely that he can take IU all the way back up to one of the top programs in the college game, that is putting him in the company of one of the winningest coaches in NCAA history (and RMK had the most when he retired).

That said, CAM looks to be both a very good x's and o's coach, including particularly on the defensive side, and a very good recruiter. How successful he ultimately will be at IU probably depends on how successful he is on the recruiting trail, which itself is probably largely dependent on whether/to what extent he can get IU back to the top in the B1G.

Next season is when it really starts. This season was a interim shift and rebuilding. Next season, imo, is when he should start to be judged. But that said, I would add he'll need another season to get his recruiting/classes up and running.

Good post, a couple things I find noteworthy about getting back to the top. 

1) I cant remember the exact numbers, but generally speaking there are between 11-13 active championship coaches at a given time. Occasionally that may drop to ten or jump to 14, but 11-13 is the norm. 

2) we have many championship coaches set to leave in the new few years, someone has to fill that void and Archie looks poised to do so  

3) we have a very real shot at becoming the first school with three coaches to win multiple titles. From where I sit, that would show IU is the beat basketball school in the country. 

The first season I can remember watching was in 1992.  I remember 20+ win seasons, making the tournament every year, top 4 of conference, and wanting to get out of round 1 and 2 was expected. I dont think that is unreasonable for a few years.  By year 4 or 5 I think we should be contending for elite 8 and/or final 4 semi regularly.  With hopefully a championship sometime.  

The only thing I would like to see with archie is to be a little more flexible with his gameplan.  Think iu vs unc in the 1984 tournament (thanks to youtube I am able to watch it) and in 1987 when we ran with the rebels of unlv.  RMK knew when to let his teams loose and knew how to expose an opponents weaknesses.  

Also, archie just looks like an IU coach should.  What I mean is he looks confident, intense, and all business. He doesnt look lost or dumbfounded like a couple past coaches we have had.

45 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

1) I cant remember the exact numbers, but generally speaking there are between 11-13 active championship coaches at a given time. Occasionally that may drop to ten or jump to 14, but 11-13 is the norm. 

2) we have many championship coaches set to leave in the new few years, someone has to fill that void and Archie looks poised to do so  

3) we have a very real shot at becoming the first school with three coaches to win multiple titles. From where I sit, that would show IU is the beat basketball school in the country. 

Good post as usual.

#3 there intrigues me.  I have never really given that much thought until you brought it up.  How many schools have had two coaches win multiple titles?

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I hate to say it but hasnt kensucky won with 5 different coaches?

Rupp, pitino, tubby, cal, hall.

But there should an asterisk by the titles they had to cheat to get.

I believe the conversation has shifted to multiple coaches with multiple titles.

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

And landing Romeo just moved the proverbial ball forward! 

Nice timing on bringing this back up. That CAM is a very good recruiter is now, well, demonstrated with a throw-down to the KU's of the world. I was thinking he'd need another season. Screw that, he's on fire, right out of the gate.

With this start in his first real season of recruiting at IU, lots of reason for optimism on his ability to lead IU back to the promised land. I mean, Romeo, wow.

Born and raised in northern Indiana, little town called Bremen. Younger then some - older then some - I do remember our 87 title vividly, being a 13 year old. Ive heard new era a few times since Coach Knight was let go, I’m going to temper my expectations until we actually see what Coach Miller can do, I hope and pray he can bring us back to a yearly top 10 team and a B1G contender, if he does that the FinalFours will come. 

I want - a team that is talented enough to compete with whoever we are matched up against. To always feel like we should/could win no matter who we play on a given night.  Not a punchers chance, a real legitimate chance, Every night

I want - guys that will dunk over you, draw a charge, dive on the floor, then help you up. No stare-downs or taunts, just a respectful butt whipping. 

I want - Gladiators- guys that leave no doubt they are playing to win every night. Guys that know how to work the 'mob' (assembly crowd) with attitude and effort. (Will Sheehey pops to mind here for me)

I want - guys that play as hard on the road as they do in the Hall knowing all us fans are still watching and hanging on every bucket.

I want - to see players grow and get better. To have time to become attached to them, no punks or spoiled brats. Players you miss when their gone.

I know i sound like the spoiled girl on Willy Wonka. There's no harm in wanting..

That's a good start i think feel free to add more.  I'm kind of a sports karma guy, so i don't like talking about hanging banners and FFs until their time is here. But I feel like we're headed in the right direction for that

7 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I want - a team that is talented enough to compete with whoever we are matched up against. To always feel like we should/could win no matter who we play on a given night.  Not a punchers chance, a real legitimate chance, Every night

I want - guys that will dunk over you, draw a charge, dive on the floor, then help you up. No stare-downs or taunts, just a respectful butt whipping. 

I want - Gladiators- guys that leave no doubt they are playing to win every night. Guys that know how to work the 'mob' (assembly crowd) with attitude and effort. (Will Sheehey pops to mind here for me)

I want - guys that play as hard on the road as they do in the Hall knowing all us fans are still watching and hanging on every bucket.

I want - to see players grow and get better. To have time to become attached to them, no punks or spoiled brats. Players you miss when their gone.

I know i sound like the spoiled girl on Willy Wonka. There's no harm in wanting..

That's a good start i think feel free to add more.  I'm kind of a sports karma guy, so i don't like talking about hanging banners and FFs until their time is here. But I feel like we're headed in the right direction for that

I think you just wrote a commercial. I might just have to steal it and send it to Nike or Gatorade or someone 

Archived