NEW ERA IU BB

6 hours ago, H00sier said:

Born and raised in northern Indiana, little town called Bremen. Younger then some - older then some - I do remember our 87 title vividly, being a 13 year old. Ive heard new era a few times since Coach Knight was let go, I’m going to temper my expectations until we actually see what Coach Miller can do, I hope and pray he can bring us back to a yearly top 10 team and a B1G contender, if he does that the FinalFours will come. 

Hoosiers should be pretty familiar with a little town called Bremen.

It was fantastic to get Romeo for next season, but the other four recruits will hopefully get IU back to sustainability.  This recruiting class is ranked 9th nationally and 1 or 2 in the Big Ten. I think RP will be a very solid point guard for us over the next four years, which allows for a team to be consistently at the top of the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

10 minutes ago, Chad B said:

It was fantastic to get Romeo for next season, but the other four recruits will hopefully get IU back to sustainability.  This recruiting class is ranked 9th nationally and 1 or 2 in the Big Ten. I think RP will be a very solid point guard for us over the next four years, which allows for a team to be consistently at the top of the Big Ten.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Yes good point Chad. Consistency is what we've been lacking, an up year followed by down years, because of lack of roster depth and talent, when guys go pro and/or graduate. CAM's first full year of recruiting is a homerun -- absolutely with Langford, but just as importantly with depth of talent and for his re-opening IN recruiting grounds. This looks like the start of something special!

On 3/11/2018 at 11:37 PM, milehiiu said:

I graduated from IU in 1969.  Two years before Knight became HC.  I went to all the home games in the building that's next to Cook Hall... before Assembly Hall was completed. I saw the beginning of the construction of Assembly Hall... and have only been in the building once... and not for a game.  During the time I was a student, despite the fact the facility was wanting as was the team.... I rooted for my Hoosiers.  I became a Hoosier fan as a youngster, listening to the games on WOWO out of Fort Wayne, though I lived in Gary.  My hero at the time was Walt Bellamy.  I have seen or listened to it all.  From the good times to the first two years of Tom Crean.  Watched in wonder as Mike Davis took us to the final game in 2002.  I have watched some amazing players don the Candy Stripes.  And shook my head at others.  And through it all, I have never lost my love for IU basketball.

What I guess I am attempting to say.... is IU basketball is full of trends. We really did not know what to expect with Coach Knight. when he first arrived. He provided us with a ton. A lot to be proud of, and some actions, not so much.  Right now, I like the trend we are in with Archie as our head coach.  Kind of Knight like, without the distractions. 

Go Archie. And GO Hoosiers !

Trends is a great term to use. I just hope the majority of us IU fans don't get our hopes and expectations up too high just yet. Remember we did just that with "The Movement" and that was a disaster. Although I will add that we had great existing players already in place so it didn't necessarily hurt us.

I think we need to see steady improvement both on the court and in recruiting over the next two seasons, then consistency in both areas for us to truly be "back". If it's up and down like Crean's tenure, everyone will be right back to where we were his last two years... wanting a coaching change.

42 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Trends is a great term to use. I just hope the majority of us IU fans don't get our hopes and expectations up too high just yet. Remember we did just that with "The Movement" and that was a disaster. Although I will add that we had great existing players already in place so it didn't necessarily hurt us.

I think we need to see steady improvement both on the court and in recruiting over the next two seasons, then consistency in both areas for us to truly be "back". If it's up and down like Crean's tenure, everyone will be right back to where we were his last two years... wanting a coaching change.

The thing about The Movement is that there were plenty of warning signs the year leading up to them arriving at IU, we just chose to ignore most of them. 

Remember all those guys played AAU together the summer going into their senior years and we all expected them to dominate the AAU scene that summer, and from what I remember they were a pretty big disappointment. Then you had Patterson (I think, might have been Hollowell) actually ask off the AAU team to play with that orgs lower level team. 

Also, Jurkin was always injured in high school, Perea was dropping down the rankings like a rock, and several people were noticing Hollowell's lack of effort or laid back tendencies his senior year in high school. 

Yogi was really not only the only one that delivered at IU, but the only one that kept his moment after The Movement committed/signed coming into IU. 

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

The thing about The Movement is that there were plenty of warning signs the year leading up to them arriving at IU, we just chose to ignore most of them. 

Remember all those guys played AAU together the summer going into their senior years and we all expected them to dominate the AAU scene that summer, and from what I remember they were a pretty big disappointment. Then you had Patterson (I think, might have been Hollowell) actually ask off the AAU team to play with that orgs lower level team. 

Also, Jurkin was always injured in high school, Perea was dropping down the rankings like a rock, and several people were noticing Hollowell's lack of effort or laid back tendencies his senior year in high school. 

Yogi was really not only the only one that delivered at IU, but the only one that kept his moment after The Movement committed/signed coming into IU. 

I wasn't aware of any of that, I'm glad you pointed that out. The one guy that didn't come through from that group that I wish had was Patterson. I really feel like he could have been an Oladipo type player, if he had picked up the same work ethic. Am I crazy for thinking that?

2 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

I wasn't aware of any of that, I'm glad you pointed that out. The one guy that didn't come through from that group that I wish had was Patterson. I really feel like he could have been an Oladipo type player, if he had picked up the same work ethic. Am I crazy for thinking that?

Probably since Patterson never did anything at Syracuse or IUPUI

It just feels different this time. I got to experience the last 8 years of knight and the coaching changes since. This is the first time since knight indiana basketball looks like indiana basketball. 

I feel like archie is the first coach since knight who truly understands the cultureof basketball in this state.  And the guy seems relentless.  I think he only has a go button and no quit in him. 

Its going to be a fun ride.

56 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

It just feels different this time. I got to experience the last 8 years of knight and the coaching changes since. This is the first time since knight indiana basketball looks like indiana basketball. 

I feel like archie is the first coach since knight who truly understands the cultureof basketball in this state.  And the guy seems relentless.  I think he only has a go button and no quit in him. 

Its going to be a fun ride.

I think what you are seeing is the younger, hungrier version of Knight. What he was when he was just getting started, without the a-hole aspect.

What you saw , in the last few years, was a worn out Knight who had become embittered with the leadership of the university, and who had given up recruiting responsibilities to others. Unfortunately, the product on the floor suffered as Knight became more and more disenchanted.

CAM has a long way to go to prove that he has the coaching acumen that Knight possessed,  but like you, for the first time in a long time I think we have a coach who has the potential to get there.

Archived