Semi-State Pairings, and TImes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just FYI. Our buddy Rakestraw just tweeted this in case anyone wants to get tickets to Seymour...

Courtesy of my friends at @TicketsonQ, I have FIVE pair of Seymour Semi-State tickets that I am going to auction off between NOW and 5p ET TODAY. ALL MONEY raised will go to the memorial fund through the Boone County Sheriff's Dept. for fallen officer Jake Pickett's family. (1/2)

On 3/14/2018 at 4:35 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I only played a couple years at the end of his tenure  It was downright Infuriating playing against that.  

I always wondered If using a couple end of bench players at a time to foul them In to bonus and force possesion changes and force them to win at the line would work.  

I remember the first sectional game of his final year, Loogootee eventually won after 3 overtimes and I don't think they scored over 20 points for the game. They held the ball the entire 4th quarter then missed a go ahead basket at the buzzer. They then got the ball at the tip in each of the overtimes and held it for the last shot until they finally made it. Even Loogootee fans were booing by the time it ended. 

Watching Barr-Reeve and Morristown miss like three free throws COMBINED for the ENTIRE game halfway through the 4th quarter just pisses me off.  If these high school kids can do it, why can't our college boys?!!

I always come back to poor mechanics and lack of repetitions.  Inexcusable at the college level.

EDIT:  Morristown was 19/22 (86%) from the line.  Barr Reeve 11/13 (84%)

Posted this in the recruiting thread, but will post here too. Was my first time watching him, he’s clearly a great player and phenomenal scorer, but is he always that lackadaisical/nonchalant defensively? I just saw the second half, but he basically just stood there defensively, even on the last possession when his man hit the game winner. 

Again, he’s a great player and I really, really hope IU gets him, just curious about that end. 

Just now, BGleas said:

Posted this in the recruiting thread, but will post here too. Was my first time watching him, he’s clearly a great player and phenomenal scorer, but is he always that lackadaisical/nonchalant defensively? I just saw the second half, but he basically just stood there defensively, even on the last possession when his man hit the game winner. 

Again, he’s a great player and I really, really hope IU gets him, just curious about that end. 

I thought the exact same thing today!  He also did the oley to let the guy hit the game winner!  I honestly wasn't that impressed.  Was only my first time seeing him though.  I never got the hype with Blackmon though either and I saw him a lot!

1 minute ago, Ryno6284 said:

I thought the exact same thing today!  He also did the oley to let the guy hit the game winner!  I honestly wasn't that impressed.  Was only my first time seeing him though.  I never got the hype with Blackmon though either and I saw him a lot!

My first time too, and I’m sure any decent college coach will make him play defense, but today I was pretty underwhelmed in terms of that end of the floor. Was very Blackmonesque. Offensively he was great. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Can't speak to the totality of his games this season, defensive wise.  Only was able to stream maybe four or five.  For me it was one of those days for Romeo.  There were several defensive lapses in crunch time.  Plus missing free throws in crunch time is something I had not seen before.  Maybe all the hype and pressure was weighing him down... Yeah.... I am gonna go with that.  He normally is a cool cucumber.  But... he is young, and has had an inordinate amount of attention showered on him.... especially the last half of his Senior year.  Hard to not let that not get to you at that age, IMHO.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Can't speak to the totality of his games this season, defensive wise.  Only was able to stream maybe four or five.  For me it was one of those days for Romeo.  There were several defensive lapses in crunch time.  Plus missing free throws in crunch time is something I had not seen before.  Maybe all the hype and pressure was weighing him down... Yeah.... I am gonna go with that.  He normally is a cool cucumber.  But... he is young, and has had an inordinate amount of attention showered on him.... especially the last half of his Senior year.  Hard to not let that not get to you at that age, IMHO.

Yeah, absolutely agree. I also thought they put him in a terrible spot on their last offensive possession. Should have had East kill the clock and then get it to Langford with 10 or so seconds left. Having Langford try to kill the last 30 seconds while being chased by 2-3 guys put him in a really bad spot. 

But defensivley, I just didn’t see much effort at all. Again, it was just one game and I’m sure that won’t fly in college, especially if he comes to IU. 

I think Romeo ended up with around 35 points. Only watched the very last part of the 2nd quarter and all of the 4th quarter, but it sounded like he was double-teamed nearly the entire game.  The announcers mentioned East didn’t have any points the first two quarters, which they said was unusual.  Romeo still made his layups through traffic look easy. It was a great game! Hope Romeo becomes a Hoosier but will support him whatever he chooses. I’m liking the excitement at the high school level! 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But defensivley, I just didn’t see much effort at all. Again, it was just one game and I’m sure that won’t fly in college, especially if he comes to IU. 

One thing as weird as it may sound, that I hope transfers over to college, if he comes to IU.   Romeo gets a lot of breaks from the refs, in the games I saw, in terms of not calling fouls on him.

13 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

Damezi on now.

He has not looked good at all and I am not very impressed with how he looks on the court.  Makes me wonder how good the teams up north are because South Bend Riley is undefeated but they look horrible today.  they are down 18 going into the fourth quarter.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

One thing as weird as it may sound, that I hope transfers over to college, if he comes to IU.   Romeo gets a lot of breaks from the refs, in the games I saw, in terms of not calling fouls. 

Will definitely take that. Really hope we land Langford!

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has not looked good at all and I am not very impressed with how he looks on the court.  Makes me wonder how good the teams up north are because South Bend Riley is undefeated but they look horrible today.  they are down 18 going into the fourth quarter.

SBR reminds me of JBJ Luers teams.  They just tried to out-athleticism the teams they faced.  When you ran into a great fundamental team, they really struggle!

12 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I think Romeo ended up with around 35 points. Only watched the very last part of the 2nd quarter and all of the 4th quarter, but it sounded like he was double-teamed nearly the entire game.  The announcers mentioned East didn’t have any points the first two quarters, which they said was unusual.  Romeo still made his layups through traffic look easy. It was a great game! Hope Romeo becomes a Hoosier but will support him whatever he chooses. I’m liking the excitement at the high school level! 

Yes. Romeo finished with 35 game points.  And  3,002 career points.  Not too shabby. 

Archived