Rumor floating around.

That Kentucky is looking into resurrecting their series with IU.  Coming out of Kentucky Sports Radio.

Rather than talk about the rumor, so much.   My questions :

1) Is HSN 3.0 in favor of starting this series back up again ?

2) Where should it be played, if it comes to pass that it does start up again ?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I won't support it unless crybaby Cal agrees to include Assembly Hall in the rotation.  If IU isn't afraid of Rupp, mighty pUKe has no business being afraid of Bloomington.

I agree, IU agreed to change the venue at least twice to accommodate UK and I don't blame them for not capitulating to the the demand for yet another change. IMO, the series should only resume on IU's terms and only with clear benefit to IU. 

9 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The hang up, was Crean's insistence in playing in AH.  Not sure that Archie would be that insistent.  Personally, watching on tv, I liked when the games were played in the big arenas, with the crowds evenly split between Red and Blue.

While I agree the Red/Blue split was cool when it was played in the Hoosier/RCA Dome it was a terrible venue to watch a basketball game unless you had the best seats available. I've not seen a basketball game at Lucas Oil yet but unless it's  significantly better I'd prefer to keep these games on campus. 

I don't care how it gets done. I just want it done. First choice is Assembly Hall/Rupp.

With that said. The first Saturday in December in Indy is booked for Big 10 football title game. This year the calendar has 5 Saturdays in it but in 2019 and 2020 December has only 4 Saturdays. So 1st Saturday every year at Lucas Oil Stadium is booked. Additionally we have our Banker Life (Butler, ND) commit for another Saturday in December. Assuming conference schedules will include December play again that's another weekend for Big 10 play. Which gets us to my point. It basically leaves one weekend that Lucas Oil or IU isn't counted for every December and based on other dates I mentioned it would be around Christmas...which I believe is when UK/Louisville get together.

I want us to play them but something is going to have to give. Maybe Cal will give in a little and help a former Western PA family buddy (Archie) out. Kentucky needs to understand that Indy has plenty of other things scheduled on weekends in December. Big 10 title, high school championships....it's not a city like Lexington where everything waits on UK. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Second part of the rumor out of KSR..... games will be played at Banker's Life and the Yum Center. 

Well that makes sense. No way to really do it at Lucas Oil for reasons in my previous post. I'll go back to my original point. My preference is on campus but just get it done. Egos always get in the way. Someone needs to be the smarter people here and get this series flowing again. 

Would love to see the series resume.

Would love to play UK in the Veteran's Day game on a ship somewhere 

Would love to have someone "accidentally" push Cal overboard.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Second part of the rumor out of KSR..... games will be played at Banker's Life and the Yum Center. 

What is the draw/benefit of having this at Bankers Life? It only holds 600ish more people. Having a game at a neutral site just for the sake of doing so just dumbs down the atmosphere and screws over season ticket holders. 

41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not intetested especially if not on campus.  Why does AH have empty seats on game days?  In part because the list of opponents is underwheling.  Find a major opponent willing to visit our campus.

We don't fill the seats at AH because our ticket distribution is absolutely horrible. Additionally, to your point, it's probably more fun to hit the bars for the game against bad opponents than sit in the balcony. Duke and UNC aren't playing a boatload of headline, non-conference games at home either. 

Ultimately, it's the method of ticket distribution, and lack of winning.

If we don't have a game on campus we are depriving folks of such a fun atmosphere. Take it from someone that was row 15 for the Wat Shot. Do it on campus or don't do it at all. ( if they worked in YUM and bankers life similar to what IU Scott said above id be happy. )

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not intetested especially if not on campus.  Why does AH have empty seats on game days?  In part because the list of opponents is underwheling.  Find a major opponent willing to visit our campus.

ISU and Fort Wayne say hello.

Yeah...haven't changed my mind.  That Sumbich Calipari needs to give one out of four years or piss on him.

I detest any solution that is 100% on Cal's terms.  I don't get the mindset that wants to play UK even if it means groveling at the feet of those toothless hilljacks to get there.

Absolutely bring it back.  That game was always the one I circled and made sure to get to.  I Don't care where u play it.   College basketball needs rivalry games like that and not meaningless matchups that people could care less about.   I've seen that game in person in AH and in Indy and in Louisville.  Honestly I loved the split down the middle neutral site.   Probably one of the coolest sports atmospheres you can find.  Not only were the teams battling but you had both band's deuling it out,  the cheerleaders and the flag wars and of course the fans yelling back and forth.  I know I was always hoarse after those games.   I hope we get this game back and Archie can start kicking Cal's ass.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Archived