Rumor floating around.

We won't play a regular season game with UK as long as Calipari is there. He's not going to agree to anything we propose unless it's a game at UK and a game in Indy.

Amazing they've been able to get multiple teams to agree to a road game and a neutral site. They did the same thing with Baylor a few years back.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

We won't play a regular season game with UK as long as Calipari is there. He's not going to agree to anything we propose unless it's a game at UK and a game in Indy.

Amazing they've been able to get multiple teams to agree to a road game and a neutral site. They did the same thing with Baylor a few years back.

IU is not that desperate to play those hilljacks.  The NCAA will find ways to match us up in the tournament and I'd rather beat Cal there where it hurts.  I don't get the desperation to play Kensucky at all costs and on any terms.  I want to see Trendon sink the game winner at Assembly Hall or Rupp.  It's fine to play some neutral sites, but to eliminate campus games just ruins the rivalry for me.  IU is going to be really good and I look forward to the day where Cal's successor calls Archie and says "OK...what does it take to restart the series?"

On 3/13/2018 at 6:17 PM, OGIUAndy said:

That's fine, but the problems you are referencing are not isolated to one campus, school, or state. I'd rather kick the crap out of schools like UK than dodge them because of their sketchy coach or history. I think you play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Prove it on the court. 

Don't think of it as "dodging" them.  Think of it as "not allowing them the honor" of playing us.  :coffee:

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

IU is not that desperate to play those hilljacks.  The NCAA will find ways to match us up in the tournament and I'd rather beat Cal there where it hurts.  I don't get the desperation to play Kensucky at all costs and on any terms.  I want to see Trendon sink the game winner at Assembly Hall or Rupp.  It's fine to play some neutral sites, but to eliminate campus games just ruins the rivalry for me.  IU is going to be really good and I look forward to the day where Cal's successor calls Archie and says "OK...what does it take to restart the series?"

Cal is just following what K started.  They both can kiss my arsz.  

12 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

A series only being held at neutral sites has already been proposed and rejected by IU.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree that it would be totally ridiculous to play a series at Rupp and neutral sites, but that would never happen.  We have more leverage than a Utah or Baylor.

A1583B38-0A59-47E0-A5D9-6973FD2C436B.jpeg

FCEABFA8-92E6-4D2C-A47F-399283D9018F.jpeg

Looks like Cal better brush up on his history.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Looks like Cal better brush up on his history.

Definitely, but I do think the resistance to a neutral site series by IU fans is a little ridiculous considering it was held at neutral sites for 15 years.  There was nothing wrong with that then, shouldn’t be anything wrong with it now.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Definitely, but I do think the resistance to a neutral site series by IU fans is a little ridiculous considering it was held at neutral sites for 15 years.  There was nothing wrong with that then, shouldn’t be anything wrong with it now.

Completely agree. Cal isn't afraid to play road games, he's played hundreds over his career obviously. His goal is to produce a show for fans and recruits, generate as much interest in his program as possible, and prepare his team for the tournament as best as possible. Playing these mega neutral site games checks all of those boxes. Obviously it's good for recruiting and exposure, but the part I think people sometimes don't take into consideration is that the tournament is played in these cavernous, NBA style arenas for the most part, and if you're luckly enough to get to the Final Four it's most likely going to be in a football type of dome/stadium. 

These games prepare you for the tournament more than a true road game. I hate Cal/UK as much as the next IU fan, but this is one point where I kind of agree with Cal. I'm not saying it's good for college basketball, but Cal has a point on this one IMO. 

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here is the problem, we stopped playing the neutral site games initially because Kentucky lost the ability to use Freedom Hall as their venue.  Louisville effectively blocked their ability to play a neutral site game in the state of Kentucky.  So their plan was for the game to be a neutral in Indianapolis and then a neutral at Rupp.  We said no but said we would go back to home and home.  We do the ho.e and home for a dmfew years and Kentucky starts losing and now they want to go back to neutral sites.

The main thing here is that Kentucky feels that they are superior enough to Indiana and we need the game more, so they can dictate the terms to whatever their coach's whims are at the time (Gillespie wanted a home game instead of Indy every year, Calipari will not play a true away game).  If we cave to their demands just to do the game, we are telling them that we are the lesser program.

Nah, I would like to beat them on a regular basis but I'll be darned if I would allow that program to dictate to us.  We had a compromise on the table where everyone got what they wanted over a 4 year period.  They turned it down.  So screw em.  As mentioned above, we have played Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Louisville the past few years.  We have no trouble scheduling blue bloods, we do not have to have Calipari's team on our schedule.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

These games prepare you for the tournament more than a true road game. I hate Cal/UK as much as the next IU fan, but this is one point where I kind of agree with Cal. I'm not saying it's good for college basketball, but Cal has a point on this one IMO. 

The only UK team to win a championship for Calipari was the team that got beat in Bloomington.  Playing in a hostile environment is what prepares you for the tournament, learning how to overcome that adversity is what prepares you.  (Having some actual upperclassmen helps as well.)

19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Here is the problem, we stopped playing the neutral site games initially because Kentucky lost the ability to use Freedom Hall as their venue.  Louisville effectively blocked their ability to play a neutral site game in the state of Kentucky.  So their plan was for the game to be a neutral in Indianapolis and then a neutral at Rupp.  We said no but said we would go back to home and home.  We do the ho.e and home for a dmfew years and Kentucky starts losing and now they want to go back to neutral sites.

The main thing here is that Kentucky feels that they are superior enough to Indiana and we need the game more, so they can dictate the terms to whatever their coach's whims are at the time (Gillespie wanted a home game instead of Indy every year, Calipari will not play a true away game).  If we cave to their demands just to do the game, we are telling them that we are the lesser program.

Nah, I would like to beat them on a regular basis but I'll be darned if I would allow that program to dictate to us.  We had a compromise on the table where everyone got what they wanted over a 4 year period.  They turned it down.  So screw em.  As mentioned above, we have played Duke, Kansas, UNC, and Louisville the past few years.  We have no trouble scheduling blue bloods, we do not have to have Calipari's team on our schedule.

So in other words, it’s a foolish pride thing.  You’re definitely entitled to your opinion on it, but the fact remains that we are most certainly the lesser program by pretty much any measure.  I personally would like to see the series resume on neutral courts, as it’s one of the best rivalries in college basketball, it’s a ton of fun for the fans, it would help us prepare for the tourney, and it would be good for recruiting.  But I can’t blame you for not wanting to admit they’re currently the better program.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Cal isn't afraid to play road games, he's played hundreds over his career obviously. His goal is to produce a show for fans and recruits, generate as much interest in his program as possible, and prepare his team for the tournament as best as possible. Playing these mega neutral site games checks all of those boxes. Obviously it's good for recruiting and exposure, but the part I think people sometimes don't take into consideration is that the tournament is played in these cavernous, NBA style arenas for the most part, and if you're luckly enough to get to the Final Four it's most likely going to be in a football type of dome/stadium. 

Agree with pretty much all of this, but I do think Cal is scared to take his team on the road.  With the group of freshmen he brings in every year, he needs time to get the team to gel, and most years it would be very tough for his young teams to get an early-season win in a hostile environment like Assembly Hall.  That being said, he does also have a point about the stadium venues being good prep for the tourney, but I think that’s mostly pretense.

6 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So in other words, it’s a foolish pride thing.  You’re definitely entitled to your opinion on it, but the fact remains that we are most certainly the lesser program by pretty much any measure.  I personally would like to see the series resume on neutral courts, as it’s one of the best rivalries in college basketball, it’s a ton of fun for the fans, it would help us prepare for the tourney, and it would be good for recruiting.  But I can’t blame you for not wanting to admit they’re the better program.

They have been better lately.  When we were better and they were mired in Fed Ex packages exploding money, we threw them a bone.  They got better and stayed better by shamelessly hiring Pitino and Calipari.  One has proven how he got players and is no longer employable and the other is just the FBI dropping the hammer on Nike away from having his World Wide Wes connections (among others) come crashing down too.  We are no longer the program we were because unlike the other blue bloods, we never got into the shoe game.  Duke, UNC, Kansas, Kentucky...every single one of those programs is dirty.

What does keep us relevant is our fanbase.  So while Kentucky has definitely had the upper hand, we do not need to grovel to them for a game on their terms.  We make money either way and we are capable of playing good teams either way.

Call it pride if you want but screw Calipari.  He does the compromise or I do not want to play them.  Once he is gone, we can talk again.

i wouldn't call it pride, I wouldn't call it grovelling,  I wouldn't call it caving to Cal.

What I would call it is a smart basketball decision to schedule UK every year, regardless of the venue. Smart for exposure, smart for RPI ratings, smart for preparations for tournaments, smart as a recruiting tool, smart for fanbase loyalty. 

Don't see where the negative(s) are on this one. 

Play the darn game.

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The only UK team to win a championship for Calipari was the team that got beat in Bloomington.  Playing in a hostile environment is what prepares you for the tournament, learning how to overcome that adversity is what prepares you.  (Having some actual upperclassmen helps as well.)

Only one team wins the tournament each year. Cal has had tons of tournament success. His last 13 years go: Elite 8, Elite 8, NCAA Runner-Up, Sweet Sixteen, Elite 8, Final Four, NCAA Champions, NIT, NCAA Runner-Up, Final Four, Round of 32, Elite 8, Sweet Sixteen. He's been to the Elite 8 nine of the last thirteen seasons. 

The best way to prepare is to play elite competition in venues (big arenas where the sight lines and depth perception for shooting are much different) that are similar to the tournament. 

1 hour ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

i wouldn't call it pride, I wouldn't call it grovelling,  I wouldn't call it caving to Cal.

What I would call it is a smart basketball decision to schedule UK every year, regardless of the venue. Smart for exposure, smart for RPI ratings, smart for preparations for tournaments, smart as a recruiting tool, smart for fanbase loyalty. 

Don't see where the negative(s) are on this one. 

Play the darn game.

Exactly. Take the emotion out of it. What is best for Indiana basketball, and I'd say best is being on the big stage against the other elite programs. It's not just Cal/UK, MSU, UNC, etc. are all doing several of these non-conference match-ups at neutral sites. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Only one team wins the tournament each year. Cal has had tons of tournament success. His last 13 years go: Elite 8, Elite 8, NCAA Runner-Up, Sweet Sixteen, Elite 8, Final Four, NCAA Champions, NIT, NCAA Runner-Up, Final Four, Round of 32, Elite 8, Sweet Sixteen. He's been to the Elite 8 nine of the last thirteen seasons. 

The best way to prepare is to play elite competition in venues (big arenas where the sight lines and depth perception for shooting are much different) that are similar to the tournament. 

He also has an NBA feeder team every year.  I just think the venue argument is overrated.  We could have played every game in Banker's Life last year and Kentucky still would have been better.  They have that success because he has about 3 NBA lottery picks each year.

We played the game.  We won two of the last three with Tom Freaking Crean.  Cal is in no position to dictate terms of the game, so screw him.  He was offered home and home with two neutral site games in a 4-year cycle, but was too much of a chickensh*t to bring his delicate daisies to AH one out of every four years.  That was a compromise and he didn't want to cede any ground.  Cal wanted an annual recruiting showcase in Indianapolis.  Screw what he wants.  Let's schedule Kansas, Duke & North Carolina instead.

57 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

We played the game.  We won two of the last three with Tom Freaking Crean.  Cal is in no position to dictate terms of the game, so screw him.  He was offered home and home with two neutral site games in a 4-year cycle, but was too much of a chickensh*t to bring his delicate daisies to AH one out of every four years.  That was a compromise and he didn't want to cede any ground.  Cal wanted an annual recruiting showcase in Indianapolis.  Screw what he wants.  Let's schedule Kansas, Duke & North Carolina instead.

We don’t have a rivalry with any of those schools like we do with UK.  And they’re not going to sign up for home-and-homes either.

Archived