Patience

Could not agree more on the patience thing, especially with Archie. Look at the Steelers, Patriots, even Ravens to an extent, the Spurs and Celtics currently, and then you get to the list of college coaches, and even beyond the legends mentioned in the article it took Bennett two full seasons (15-16 and 16-15) at UVA, it really took Beilein almost 4-5 years to really get consistent at Michigan, Sean Miller's first year at UVA was 16-15. The really long-term successful sports organizations are not the ones that are constantly firing coaches. The caveat is that you need to believe you have "the guy", just keeping coaches for patience sake doesn't work either. 

Indiana has been on a coaching roller coaster the last 20ish years with Davis, Sampson and Crean. Personally, I've seen enough and heard enough about Archie to think he has the chops if the admin/fans will give him time. To piggyback on the convo with HH in another thread, a lot of it is simply going to come down to recruiting, as I'm convinced Archie can coach the game. How quickly can he get high level recruits to buy-in?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Could not agree more on the patience thing, especially with Archie. Look at the Steelers, Patriots, even Ravens to an extent, the Spurs and Celtics currently, and then you get to the list of college coaches, and even beyond the legends mentioned in the article it took Bennett two full seasons (15-16 and 16-15) at UVA, it really took Beilein almost 4-5 years to really get consistent at Michigan, Sean Miller's first year at UVA was 16-15. The really long-term successful sports organizations are not the ones that are constantly firing coaches. The caveat is that you need to believe you have "the guy", just keeping coaches for patience sake doesn't work either. 

Indiana has been on a coaching roller coaster the last 20ish years with Davis, Sampson and Crean. Personally, I've seen enough and heard enough about Archie to think he has the chops if the admin/fans will give him time. To piggyback on the convo with HH in another thread, a lot of it is simply going to come down to recruiting, as I'm convinced Archie can coach the game. How quickly can he get high level recruits to buy-in?

Right or wrong, as a lifelong Steeler fan the whole idea of finding a good young coach and sticking with him has definitely shaped my thinking.

I think what attracts me most to this particular fan forum is the presence of members like TDH and ISP who are at least in my mind, professionals. I also appreciate the number of people who have played and coached, as well as those insiders who rarely speak, but when they do...:snack:

Also nice to see a lot of the drama and excessive nastiness held in check here. My guess is that it's only a matter of time until this forum is the biggest IU fan forum. It's already the best.

I agree. Wholeheartedly agree. 

I can't speak to it but I trust in my gut Archie is the guy. I never had that feeling with CTC. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe I relate more with him. Me being from the backwoods of indiana. No nonsense is what I'm use to. Idk

55 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think what attracts me most to this particular fan forum is the presence of members like TDH and ISP who are at least in my mind, professionals. I also appreciate the number of people who have played and coached, as well as those insiders who rarely speak, but when they do...:snack:

Also nice to see a lot of the drama and excessive nastiness held in check here. My guess is that it's only a matter of time until this forum is the biggest IU fan forum. It's already the best.

I'm a professional at least in my own mind too ;)

This season wasn't the best thing to watch, but I don't get why some people are already impatient. I don't see any reason CAM won't be successful here at IU. Archie Miller and IU are a match made in basketball heaven. If Romeo chooses to go elsewhere, it may take one more year. With Romeo, we can have a decent season.

1 minute ago, addictedtoIU said:

This season wasn't the best thing to watch, but I don't get why some people are already impatient. I don't see any reason CAM won't be successful here at IU. Archie Miller and IU are a match made in basketball heaven. If Romeo chooses to go elsewhere, it may take one more year. With Romeo, we can have a decent season.

I expect a decent season without him.  Lots of other talent with a year of learning under their belts and excellent talent already coming in.

With him...look out.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I expect a decent season without him.  Lots of other talent with a year of learning under their belts and excellent talent already coming in.

With him...look out.

Looks like you expect a little more than I do. Without Romeo, I expect we'd have some growing pain next season. Obviously, there are talents in guys we already have and guys coming in, but at this moment, we have many question marks...De'Ron Davis, Davante Green, Race Thompson (wild card), Clifton Moore (not red-shirted but pretty much the same as red-shirted) and all incoming freshmen (not including Romeo). We know what we can expect from Morgan, McRoberts, Smith, and Durham (sort of), but we need more players who can score and defend. I have no doubt players who won't leave IU will have great summer in terms of development. I just think it'd be better to temper our expectation a little bit at this point. Of course, things can change drastically if we get Romeo...

7 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Looks like you expect a little more than I do. Without Romeo, I expect we'd have some growing pain next season. Obviously, there are talents in guys we already have and guys coming in, but at this moment, we have many question marks...De'Ron Davis, Davante Green, Race Thompson (wild card), Clifton Moore (not red-shirted but pretty much the same as red-shirted) and all incoming freshmen (not including Romeo). We know what we can expect from Morgan, McRoberts, Smith, and Durham (sort of), but we need more players who can score and defend. I have no doubt players who won't leave IU will have great summer in terms of development. I just think it'd be better to temper our expectation a little bit at this point. Of course, things can change drastically if we get Romeo...

Without Romeo, I expect at least 21 wins. That's just five more than we had this year and I absolutely expect improvement over last year.  I'd consider 21 wins a decent year.  Maybe our definition of "decent" is different?

IU has never really had a quick hook with basketball coaches. Since Everett Dean the only coach that didn’t get at least 6 years was Sampson and that was for NCAA violations, he was also the only coach to not win at least a share of a Big Ten crown. Watson and Davis both got 6 years and Crean got 9.  

Patience has never been a problem at IU like it has at other schools.

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Without Romeo, I expect at least 21 wins. That's just five more than we had this year and I absolutely expect improvement over last year.  I'd consider 21 wins a decent year.  Maybe our definition of "decent" is different?

We could be a few to couple of wins apart. My expectation (without Romeo) is 20 wins at most and be a bubble team (before post season tournament). Not sure your 21 wins include an NCAA or NIT tournament.  

If Juwan comes back and we don’t win 20 games before the tourney, that would be a pretty big failure.  Heck, you take away the inexcusable losses to ISU, IPFW, and Rutgers this season and we would have been at 19 wins.  Archie would have a first team all-conference player and the fourth-ranked class in the Big 10.  That should be enough for at least 20 wins.

Archived