Will Anyone Follow Crean to Georgia?

OGIUAndy

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

Coaches are not allied to reach out to other teams players. I’m 99% sure it would be a violation for Crean to contact Durham to gauge his interest in transferring. 

Yea I know.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.  Crean's situation is a little different.   He could have been keeping contact or vis versa all along as he wasn't a coach.   Crean seemed close to his players.  Wouldn't suprise me at all if he called them or texted them if they had a good game or even with a Happy Birthday message.  I'm not saying he would try and poach them.  But if a player has a bond with Ctc then that player might just pick up the phone and ask about a spot on his team.

Go Hoosiers!!!

2 hours ago, Indy1987 said:

Yea I know.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though.  Crean's situation is a little different.   He could have been keeping contact or vis versa all along as he wasn't a coach.   Crean seemed close to his players.  Wouldn't suprise me at all if he called them or texted them if they had a good game or even with a Happy Birthday message.  I'm not saying he would try and poach them.  But if a player has a bond with Ctc then that player might just pick up the phone and ask about a spot on his team.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I think a big point people aren't thinking about, is that the kid would have to sit out a year if he's not a grad transfer.  That's a big bump in the road that many kids aren't going to want to do, especially when they actually played on the team they're currently on.

I think he can do well at GA. Good recruiting grounds. I also think he will learn from some mistakes at IU and improve. I know Trendan Watford is interested in AL, but I wonder if CTC pursues him. I know he didn't while at IU but he could say he knew he would be leaving...

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think he can do well at GA. Good recruiting grounds. I also think he will learn from some mistakes at IU and improve. I know Trendan Watford is interested in AL, but I wonder if CTC pursues him. I know he didn't while at IU but he could say he knew he would be leaving...

Believe Ashton Hagens is Crean's first 5-star target (recently decommitted from UGA). Watford may be a long shot at best, but you know some coaches still chase 5 stars even though they know they don't have a chance but just to give fanbase impression that they're working hard. 

It will be somewhat interesting to see how Crean recruits while at Georgia.  I don't look for him to try to poach Indiana talent considering how many he alienated across the state, but he might be able to establish inroads in the South (at least for a couple of years).  We know he had an enormous recruiting budget at IU, I assume he may not have the same resources down there (?).

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to create a new topic for this, so decided to put this here.

Looks like regardless of what Crean said in the Sports Illustrated article about a month ago about taking this past year to reevaluate how he does things, that he still is going to coach the same style of ball. Still going to recruit the same type of kid.

Good for him that the Georgia fan base will only be partially interested in the product on the floor, after the football season is over and before Spring football starts.

http://www.journalgazette.net/sports/colleges/20180411/creans-new-rules-welcomed-by-dogs

Archived