Haas out for rest of tourny

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Ton of respect for this kid! A true competitor. With that said, Painter will have to closely monitor whether he’s helping or hurting the team given the limitation of the elbow. 

I had this exact same thing happen during a basketball game.   Was a tabletop fracture that I had.  I finished the game, but damn, when the adrenaline wore off I felt like puking!  It took several weeks before I could do anything with that arm. Could barely tie my shoes.  Thankfully it was my "off" arm. 

I'm not sure how Haas is going to be able to play tomorrow!

Any Dr's on here? Can Haas injure himself any worse by playing  fracture the end of the line? I applaud the kids guts. The tourney has that way of bringing out gutty performances. Just wanted to make sure I understood. Sometimes it's the adult/coach responsibility to step in and say sorry kid...can't risk additional injury for you.

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any Dr's on here? Can Haas injure himself any worse by playing or this the fracture the end of the line? I applaud the kids guts. The tourney has that way of bringing out gutty performances. Just wanted to make sure I understood. Sometimes it's the adult/coach responsibility to step in and say sorry kid...can't risk additional injury for you.

I am pretty sure Larry Bird played in the '79 tournament with a broken finger.  Just can't remember which hand.

45 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Any Dr's on here? Can Haas injure himself any worse by playing  fracture the end of the line? I applaud the kids guts. The tourney has that way of bringing out gutty performances. Just wanted to make sure I understood. Sometimes it's the adult/coach responsibility to step in and say sorry kid...can't risk additional injury for you.

Think Scott May from '75

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

In his last two seasons with the school, 1974–75 and 1975–76, the Hoosiers were undefeated in the regular season and won 37-consecutive Big Ten games. The 1974–75 Hoosiers swept the entire Big Ten by an average of 22.8 points per game. However, in an 83-82 win against Purdue, May broke his left arm. With May's injury keeping him to 7 minutes of play, the No. 1 Hoosiers lost to Kentucky 92-90 in the Mideast Regional. The Hoosiers were so dominant that four starters – May, Steve Green, Kent Benson and Quinn Buckner – would make the five-man All-Big Ten team. The following season, 1975–76, the Hoosiers went the entire season and 1976 NCAA tournament without a single loss, beating Michigan 86–68 in the title game. Indiana remains the last school to accomplish this feat.[2][3]

On 3/16/2018 at 4:41 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Such a Purdue thing to happen. I can’t say I’m surprised. 

It happens to many teams every year.  I feel bad for Purdue, but no worse than I do for any of the other high seeds that have guys out for the tournament (Auburn and UVA come to mind)

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It happens to many teams every year.  I feel bad for Purdue, but no worse than I do for any of the other high seeds that have guys out for the tournament (Auburn and UVA come to mind)

I always think back to years ago when UC's Kenyon Martin broke his leg in the conference tournament.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

What if Painter gets them to the EE?  FF?  Championship game?

Mike Davis made a championship game. Heck UConn just fired their coach that won them a championship. One good run doesn't make you a Great Coach and similar to Mike Davis one good run could keep a school from moving on as fast as it should. 

This isn't a shot a Painter just examples of situations that show a good run isn't a predictor to future runs.

Maybe it's my view of Purdue...but they haven't really accomplished much yet in my opinion. Sweet 16 was an absolute minimum even with Haas injury. If they beat Tech on Saturday morning (when game ends) that will be a successful run this year but this was a veteran team, ranked top 3 in country for most of conference play and a 2 seed beating a 10 seed. Maybe I'm mistaken but that's not a big accomplishment yet. 

Archived