Remember when...

5 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah... Still would have been a good hire regardless of a bad loss in the first round of a tournament. One game does not a coach make.

It's an early exit every single year for Virginia.  And after the way IU fans reacted toward Crean after we lost to Syracuse I can only imagine what it would be like had that been us tonight.

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

Yeah... Still would have been a good hire regardless of a bad loss in the first round of a tournament. One game does not a coach make.

No kidding, I can't believe the knee-jerk reactions.  Tony admitted they got their asses kicked.  I guess RMK was a horrible coach for losing to Cleveland St.?  At least we don't ever have to worry about being that first 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed!

6 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

It's an early exit every single year for Virginia.  And after the way IU fans reacted toward Crean after we lost to Syracuse I can only imagine what it would be like had that been us tonight.

Of course, there's the fact that UVA actually was in the tournament 

He's lost 33 games total over the past 5 years at VA. 5 tourney appearances. 1 Elite 8 and 1 Sweet 16. Obviously not a lot of tournament success thus far, but I believe he'll get there eventually.

IU has lost over double the amount of games over the past 5 years and missed the tournament 3 times.

I'm glad we got Archie, but Tony wouldn't have been a bad hire.

27 minutes ago, madmax said:

One game does not a coach make.

Very true.  However, there's a pretty clear trend at this time.  Not saying it couldn't change in the future, but it is really bad right now.  Really, really bad.

In the last 5 years, he's had his team seeded 1, 2, 1, 5, and 1 (which is really impressive) and is a combined 7-5.  He has one Elite 8 in that span and has lost teams seeded 4 (twice), 7, 10, and 16.  It seems like his slow style of basketball doesn't translate well to the tourney.  As a 1 or 2 seed, he's lost to a 4, 7, 10, and 16.  That's a disaster.

He has never beaten a team seeded higher than him, and has lost to (much) lower seeded teams 4 of the last 5 tournaments.

To make it easier to see, here are the teams he's lost to (his seed in parenthesis)

2018 - 16 (1)

2017 - 4 (5)

2016 - 10 (1)

2015 - 7 (2)

2014 - 4 (1)

2012 - 7 (10)

2008 - 1 (4)

2007 - 3 (6)

Bennett is 10-8 in the tourney, and here are the seeds he's beaten (his seed in parenthesis):

4 (1)

5 (4)

8 (1)

9 (1)

12 (5)

13 (4) 

14 (3)

15 (2)

16 (1)

16 (1)

54 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I said this in the ncaa thread, but that game reminded me too much of our losses to isu and Fort Wayne using the same philosophy. 

I think Archie coaches a much more aggressive transition offense than Bennett does.  I also think Archie may be able to get better athletes at IU than Bennett can land at UVA.  UVA really wasn’t that talented this year.

His father used to suck pretty bad in the tourney too....and considered retiring because it.  Then he took Wisconsin as an 8 seed to the final four.  

On a side note- a clear trend has emerged...the curse of the frequently-discussed-replacement-for-Crean.

Greg Marshall?  Tony Bennett?  Sean Miller?  Steve Alford?  If you were a popular name for the IU job, yikes.

While one game does not define a coach... this one game will go down in history :  First coach of a number one seed, to have ever lost to a sixteen seed.  Etched in stone, and forever in the history of college basketball.  Rare that JUST one game earns a Wiki recognition.

1982 Virginia vs. Chaminade men's basketball game - Wikipedia

For that matter.  The University of Virginia now OWNS the two greatest upset losses in the history of college basketball.  What once was the loss of a number one team, headed by Ralph Sampson, to Chaminade......... now has been replaced by the first number one seed to lose to a sixteen seed. 

In terms of Tony Bennett..... he WAS offered the job at IU.   Turned it down for two reasons.  One..... felt he was not up to fixing the project, left behind by Sampson.  And two.... resented the fact that his sister had been fired by IU.   Great coach, but will go down in history for multiple reasons..... all of which are not positive. 

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think Archie coaches a much more aggressive transition offense than Bennett does.  I also think Archie may be able to get better athletes at IU than Bennett can land at UVA.  UVA really wasn’t that talented this year.

I totally agree! Archie’s schemes got us a lot of open looks, we just didn’t have the shooters to take advantage of them...but we will next year!! and the team will be more comfortable with the defense as well. Go Hoosiers!!

8 hours ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Yes, I'm not sure why everyone is always so willing to make excuses for Bennett. Not only do his teams flame out in the tournament every year but it took him 3 years to get Virginia into the tournament and he started with a much better and more complete roster than he would have had if he had taken the IU job. 

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

More aggressive transition offense with better athletes? That would be Arizona and their tournament record is certainly better but not exactly great either. 

20 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

More aggressive transition offense with better athletes? That would be Arizona and their tournament record is certainly better but not exactly great either. 

You have a point.  Might be fair to argue that the similar systems run by the Bennett and the Miller brothers may be prone to tournament flameouts.  Zona and UVA both got destroyed in the first round, and IU is coming off its own first round tournament upset at the hands of 14 seed Rutgers...

But I don’t really have any idea how similar their systems actually are.  And bad breaks do happen in the tournament.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You have a point.  Might be fair to argue that the similar systems run by the Bennett and the Miller brothers may be prone to tournament flameouts.  Zona and UVA both got destroyed in the first round, and IU is coming off its own first round tournament upset at the hands of 14 seed Rutgers...

But I don’t really have any idea how similar their systems actually are.  And bad breaks do happen in the tournament.

Zona and UVA won their conference tournaments?  Didn't they?

Archived