Remember when...

Good article by Forde on UVA. Actually it’s pretty scathing towards Bennett. But, this isn’t a Pack Line defense thing, this is a tempo and pace issue and a coach forcing his team to play one way, and one way only. Virginia plays at a forcibly deliberate pace and offensive system. It works great when it’s working and they dictate the pace, but when UVA is forced into an uptempo pace they can’t adjust because they can only play one way. 

Archie might share the pack line defense with Bennett, but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t share the overall pace viewpoint and offensive system. On the second point, adjusting to various styles of play, I don’t know where Archie lands on that yet, and I actually think that’s the more important thing long term. 

The great coaches can coach their teams to play various styles based on their talent, etc. Coaches like Coach K, Knight, Belichick, Pop, etc., are masters at this and why they’re so great. Their teams can change styles from game-to-game and season-to-season based on the opponent and the talent they have. I hope Archie can do this...

https://sports.yahoo.com/theres-no-escaping-historic-embarrassment-virginia-043006234.html

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Good article by Forde on UVA. Actually it’s pretty scathing towards Bennett. But, this isn’t a Pack Line defense thing, this is a tempo and pace issue and a coach forcing his team to play one way, and one way only. Virginia plays at a forcibly deliberate pace and offensive system. It works great when it’s working and they dictate the pace, but when UVA is forced into an uptempo pace they can’t adjust because they can only play one way. 

Archie might share the pack line defense with Bennett, but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t share the overall pace viewpoint and offensive system. On the second point, adjusting to various styles of play, I don’t know where Archie lands on that yet, and I actually think that’s the more important thing long term. 

The great coaches can coach their teams to play various styles based on their talent, etc. Coaches like Coach K, Knight, Belichick, Pop, etc., are masters at this and why they’re so great. Their teams can change styles from game-to-game and season-to-season based on the opponent and the talent they have. I hope Archie can do this...

https://sports.yahoo.com/theres-no-escaping-historic-embarrassment-virginia-043006234.html

Very true, just like the Hoosiers did against Jerry Tarkanians  Runnin' Rebels

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Pretty well written article.  Thanks for posting.  And yes RMK changed his style quite often.

2 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Dayton v Wichita State game last year was pretty fast paced if i remember correctly.  I don't think Archie has a problem playing fast.

Agree. Bennett and Archie coach a similar defensive philosophy, but that’s where a lot of the similarities most likely end. Even the Pack Line, i’m sure has various ways and philosophies to coach/execute. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. Bennett and Archie coach a similar defensive philosophy, but that’s where a lot of the similarities most likely end. Even the Pack Line, i’m sure has various ways and philosophies to coach/execute. 

I sat in disbelief as I watched the game last night.  It is one and done......geez change up something.  

For those who are alluding to the pack line being a potential problem, what else would you like to run?  IMO, the pack line (theoretically) is a great defensive scheme, which forces teams to shoot contested jump shots and threes (lower percentage shots) versus layups (higher percentage shots).  I don’t care what defense you run, if the team you’re playing gets hot and you’re not, you’re going to lose.  UVA had the #1 statistical defense by all of the major stats websites.  It just takes one bad night, which is what we saw last night.  As others have said, I think it’s more of an offensive issue.  They play at such a slow pace, it’s hard for them to force the issue offensively. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Zona and UVA won their conference tournaments?  Didn't they?

Good point.  But winning the PAC12 tournament wasn’t that impressive for Arizona considering how bad that conference was.  

One thing I noticed when I was looking into Archie during the coaching search was that he didn’t have much success in the A10 tournament.  He only made the tournament final once (and lost), and made the semis one other year.  Not saying that necessarily means anything, but something to consider.

2 hours ago, rico said:

I don't know if it is true or not but heard that UMBC had never beat a ranked opponent in their history.  And I myself, am starting to get worried about this pack line defense.

I think the issue is much more about the offense than the defense.  The fact remains that the UVA pack line has been stellar for years.  I think IU is going to put together a better roster than UVA -- which is really just following the Wisconsin model of unheralded recruits and creating a system that wins until March unless they happen to hit some recruiting home runs.

11 hours ago, madmax said:

He's lost 33 games total over the past 5 years at VA. 5 tourney appearances. 1 Elite 8 and 1 Sweet 16. Obviously not a lot of tournament success thus far, but I believe he'll get there eventually.

IU has lost over double the amount of games over the past 5 years and missed the tournament 3 times.

I'm glad we got Archie, but Tony wouldn't have been a bad hire.

I'm not blaming this game on Hunter, but other years they've had some brutal luck with injuries (and they did this year, it just isn't an excuse for losing that game).  

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I think the issue is much more about the offense than the defense.  The fact remains that the UVA pack line has been stellar for years.  I think IU is going to put together a better roster than UVA -- which is really just following the Wisconsin model of unheralded recruits and creating a system that wins until March unless they happen to hit some recruiting home runs.

In UVA's case, yes it is offensively.  But I don't know if I would compare them to Wisconsin.  But that is me.

This has nothing to do with basketball.  However seeing the link of the article written by Pat Forde, offered by BGleas..... reminded me of something I learned this past weeked watching the women's NCAA National Swimming Championships.  Pat Forde has a daughter who swims for Stanford, and she's pretty good.

Brooke Forde - CollegeSwimming

29 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

This game is statistically similar the iu vs isu/fort Wayne games this year. Umbc shot 50% from 3 compared to UVA at 18%.

I also find it interesting Jarius lyles parents are UVA alum. Makes for a good story

Karma?  Jarius wants to go to UVA, but doesn't even get a sniff?  Put that $hit in your pipe and smoke it Tony!

I wonder how many variations on the pack line there are?  You see that generic term, but I wonder if Archie’s version has its own wrinkles?  I don’t have time to chart it or break it down, but something seems different with IU’s version compared to Virginia’s.    

As for IU, does anyone know if we were covering the three point line better the second half of the year?  It sure seemed like it but I don’t know if stats bear that out.   

Nothing much to add. Been banging this let's not hype TB drum all year. I guess the only thing I'll add is this...something Dakich said couple years ago. In the tournament if you can't score it's easier to be upset because almost every team out there can score 75 points. Virginia obviously plays great defense but their offense is crap and subjects itself to those type of performances. 

That's a philosophy by the coach which is why I've never been a big fan. Fair or unfair until he gets a F4...he and Painter are in same club.

Archived