I was at his breakout game against Maryland in Assembly Hall in January 2015.  Maryland was ranked, it was the first time they were playing in Assembly Hall as a Big Ten school, and Hartman scored 15 on 4-4 from the field and 3-3 from three.  The crowd was chanting his name.  I remember thinking how cool that experience would be as a kid from Indy.

I liked Colin, admired a lot of the potential I saw in him...and even moreso when it came to fruition on the court. 

Sadly, his final season certainly lacked ceremony. The overarching thing, though, and this is unfortunate for him and his tenure, was that in coincided with a time in Indiana basketball history many are going to try very hard to forget. 2016-2017, in particular, was one of the saddest things many of us, as sports fans, have ever had to endure. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

He was a key player on a Big Ten title team, he should always have a special place in Hoosier hearts. 

Perhaps. But, your criteria for staying near and dear to a fan's heart may not be the next person's...and that's alright. 

16 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Just ready for him to move on and quit taking up a scholarship.  Great kid who was always hurt.

I would prefer to speak more respectful and appreciative of the young men who have played and are playing and representing IUBB.  I would think a prospective recruit would take pause upon reading such comments from the fan base. Colin has shown great resolve, perseverance, and character during his time at IU.  I wish him nothing but success as he moves on with his life and thank him and all who have worn the Candy Stripes!

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Sorry i so offended everyone.  I just was never a big Colin Hartman fan.  Great kid from all accounts.  Just ready to move on with our new coach and new players.

I don't necessarily agree with the delivery but I don't mind your point. Not as it relates to Hartman...but just in general. As a fan I'm tired of all the feel good stuff that we focus on.  I'm sick and tired of losing to bad teams. I'm tired of being asked to be patient for the 4th time in 20 years. I'm tired of me watching Hoosiers on 2nd weekend of tourney to feel good about hoops. 

I'm a blind loyalty guy when it comes to the coach at IU but darn....I get it when people say things. It's a feeling of angst/anger that we have had for years.

On 3/17/2018 at 9:13 PM, PoHoosier said:

I would take 1-2 Collin Hartmans on any team any day of the week.  Hi bball IQ, tremendous effort.  Iirc, we were on the NCAA tourney bubble with him as our 5 man.

This sums it up for me. It's not just that he is a great kid with a big heart, it's that he's a really fundamentally sound basketball player who puts it all on the floor. He had the misfortune of having to deal with repeat, serious injuries, a body that in a way failed him, and he was always a role player -- but he's the kind of role player that really helps teams win (McRoberts is similar). 

I also love that he overcame the early reactions of some that he was not good enough for IU, that he should transfer. He was an excellent role player who helped us win, when healthy. Wish he could've been healthy throughout his career, but appreciate all he brought to the team.

Archived