Early entrants

rico

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just off the top of my head here are a few.

Duke will lose it's big men and pg and maybe Trent.

UK will lose everyone,

Sexton at Alabama is gone, and Petty may go with him.

Bamba at Texas

It would not surprise me if Carson Edwards leaves

Bridges, Jackson at MSU

I'm waiting for Kris Wilkes announcement. I mean he was so certain of his early entry he chose LA because of his branding opportunities. After year 1 his brand is someone who shows up late at the most important time of the year, gets benched and loses. 

Speaking of Young. I said back in December or January could we slow the roll on this kid yet. I said this on twitter and I get like 3-4 random messages telling me I don't know hoops. Would it be petty of me to go back and ask them their thoughts after finishing the year 2-11 or so?

Also I don't think everyone from UK leaves. 2-3 have played their way into first round for sure but some should stay. 

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

Almost a new starting five for Duke next year:

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Grayson “Trip” Allen graduates and Trent, Bagley and Carter all expected to go round 1

LOL...to the PACERS?!!!  I hope not!

As an aside, I see Miles Bridges projected at 13. Last year before he pulled out, he was told by NBA execs that he would go anywhere from 8th to 14th.  This year, ESPN has him at #13.  Bridges had a sound reason for staying (didn't want to play in the D league), but it doesn't appear he really made any progress in his extra year at MSU. I think you have to question Izzo's ability to develop in this case, but to his credit, Izzo tried to get Bridges to go last year.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/nba-draft-tracker-michigan-states-miles-bridges

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-michigan-state-spartans-miles-bridges-nba-draft-tom-izzo-big-ten/au50v8ir6wj1m1jsvn84t3fr

18 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...to the PACERS?!!!  I hope not!

As an aside, I see Miles Bridges projected at 13. Last year before he pulled out, he was told by NBA execs that he would go anywhere from 8th to 14th.  This year, ESPN has him at #13.  Bridges had a sound reason for staying (didn't want to play in the D league), but it doesn't appear he really made any progress in his extra year at MSU. I think you have to question Izzo's ability to develop in this case, but to his credit, Izzo tried to get Bridges to go last year.

http://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/nba-draft-tracker-michigan-states-miles-bridges

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-michigan-state-spartans-miles-bridges-nba-draft-tom-izzo-big-ten/au50v8ir6wj1m1jsvn84t3fr

I was also reading a breakdown from Jonathan Givony (who used to run Draft Express but is now with ESPN), and he was criticizing Izzo for refusing to adjust his lineups and playing Jaren Jackson almost exclusively at the 4, not the 5 like he’ll be playing in the NBA.  Biggie decommitted because he thought Izzo would force him to play out of position, and now you have Bridges failing to improve and Jackson also being played out of position.  Along with all the scandal stuff, I wonder if his recruiting will start to take a hit.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I was also reading a breakdown from Jonathan Givony (who used to run Draft Express but is now with ESPN), and he was criticizing Izzo for refusing to adjust his lineups and playing Jaren Jackson almost exclusively at the 4, not the 5 like he’ll be playing in the NBA.  Biggie decommitted because he thought Izzo would force him to play out of position, and now you have Bridges failing to improve and Jackson also being played out of position.  Along with all the scandal stuff, I wonder if his recruiting will start to take a hit.

A college coaches job is to win games for his team and not play players in a different psotion to help their draft status.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

A college coaches job is to win games for his team and not play players in a different psotion to help their draft status.

True, but the college coach needs to be honest with a recruit about how he will be used.  Maybe Izzo was...I don't know, but you have to wonder.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

MSU never put it all together this year and then flamed out in the tournament.  I’ve also seen criticism saying that if Izzo had adjusted his lineups and gone smaller, MSU may have been better this season.  Those goals aren’t always mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

MSU never put it all together this year and then flamed out in the tournament.  I’ve also seen criticism saying that if Izzo had adjusted his lineups and gone smaller, MSU may have been better this season.  Those goals aren’t always mutually exclusive.

I thought Bridges would have been much better as a college 4.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

So would you have taken Ward out of the lineup to play Jackson at the 5 because to me that would have been wrong to do.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

That's exactly what I would have done 

I'll echo this. Flashing Jackson or Bridges to the FT line would have been better than whatever they were trying. Maybe I'm still having flashbacks to 2013 but why don't coaches have their best player in that position to either shoot, dribble dish or worst case scenario draw a foul??

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

That's exactly what I would have done 

Same. Jackson at the 5 and Bridges at the 4. Makes them much more versatile and dynamic. Plus, Bridges is a bad ball handler, so you don’t really need him out there trying to create off the dribble. 

Archived