Early entrants

rico

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder what the team thinks about all of that?

Exactly. This is one of the risks you take when entering your name for the draft when you have zero business doing so. Even Jeff Goodman (who I don't like) took a shot at it. Information gathering is one thing. Causing yourself to be remember as the kid who averaged 3 and 2 as a role player is another. His play better really improve because two things. First...Nojel is known for this right now. Secondly...it seems Painter tried telling the kid what he needs to work on and maybe the kid/family didn't take his word for it implying lack of trust between staff and family. 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Exactly. This is one of the risks you take when entering your name for the draft when you have zero business doing so. Even Jeff Goodman (who I don't like) took a shot at it. Information gathering is one thing. Causing yourself to be remember as the kid who averaged 3 and 2 as a role player is another. His play better really improve because two things. First...Nojel is known for this right now. Secondly...it seems Painter tried telling the kid what he needs to work on and maybe the kid/family didn't take his word for it implying lack of trust between staff and family. 

I gotta believe that Painter ain't too happy about this.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I gotta believe that Painter ain't too happy about this.

Because it's the off season and speculation/over analyzing things is what we do here....maybe Boiler can come along. Wasn't there an issue earlier in the year too with Nojel? Basically his Mom went Kendrick Nunn's (former Illini player) Mom after a game and said he's out of here.

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Because it's the off season and speculation/over analyzing things is what we do here....maybe Boiler can come along. Wasn't there an issue earlier in the year too with Nojel? Basically his Mom went Kendrick Nunn's (former Illini player) Mom after a game and said he's out of here.

I am thinking he is out of there!!!!!!

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Probably. I think she posted something on the free board. But Nojel has been a great teammate from all accounts and has a great work ethic. Just has a mom that’s a little out there haha. 

On 4/17/2018 at 7:58 PM, FKIM01 said:

If he does, I really hope he comes back and finishes his degree.  Mom's grasp of the king's English is cringeworthy.

The entertainment factor though...it will be a sad moment when that thread is locked. :snack:

The kings English that not even the jesters English 

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Unbielevable some of the names on the list that has hired an agents.  I follow college basketball very closely and there are names on that list I have never heard of.

It comes as no surprise as there are increasingly more options than to play college ball.  Not the option many of uswould take but it may be increasingly appealing to a younger generation.  Is social media and edited mixed tapes causing an over inflated sense of self?

6 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

It comes as no surprise as there are increasingly more options than to play college ball.  Not the option many of uswould take but it may be increasingly appealing to a younger generation.  Is social media and edited mixed tapes causing an over inflated sense of self?

I did not count how many was on that list but there are 60 draft picks in the draft.  With the seniors and foreign players the amount of draft spots are not that many to take a risk of leaving early. Some of these guys have no chance to get drafted or even get an invite to training camp so I just don't see why they would give up their eligibility.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I did not count how many was on that list but there are 60 draft picks in the draft.  With the seniors and foreign players the amount of draft spots are not that many to take a risk of leaving early. Some of these guys have no chance to get drafted or even get an invite to training camp so I just don't see why they would give up their eligibility.

Again, not the choice you or I would likely make.  However, I could see many of those on that list desiring to focus solely on basketball and chase their degree later when they can no longer perform on the court.  Sure, most will not see the NBA millions, but having their sole focus be basketball could put them closer to their dream - basketball for a living - G league or overseas.  Not the choice for me.  To each their own.

On 4/21/2018 at 5:28 PM, IU Scott said:

Unbielevable some of the names on the list that has hired an agents.  I follow college basketball very closely and there are names on that list I have never heard of.

I am with you on that.  JMHO, too many kids believe themselves to be NBA players.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:12 PM, PoHoosier said:

Again, not the choice you or I would likely make.  However, I could see many of those on that list desiring to focus solely on basketball and chase their degree later when they can no longer perform on the court.  Sure, most will not see the NBA millions, but having their sole focus be basketball could put them closer to their dream - basketball for a living - G league or overseas.  Not the choice for me.  To each their own.

One could counter with "Why not stay in school?"  Get your degree for free and the other amenities that come with the scholly.  And I would like to see how many of these guys that have agents actually play pro ball next year.

5 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/john-calipari-asks-the-nba-players-association-to-help-bring-an-end-to-the-one-and-done-era/

Interesting that Cal is supposedly leading the charge on this. Who would he recruit if all the OAD players are gone?

I think he has figured out the value of players that stay 2 or 3 years. He only uses the One And Done as his marketing ploy as that is his best sales pitch to continue landing the highly rated prospects year in and year out that don't care about College. 

He will still land more than his share of 5-stars and probably have to start recruiting the high 4-stars, but if he doesn't have to rely on Freshmen year in and year out, I think it makes his teams more dangerous. I am pretty sure he realized that years ago, but hasn't changed his approach until he can say it is the NBA or NCAA that forced me to change how I recruit.

Archived